815cc stock parts 750 Build Questions - Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 01-28-2019, 11:26 AM Thread Starter
Track Day Winner

815cc stock parts 750 Build Questions

Hi Guys,

Really inspired by the original Power of Pocono's build years ago (I have the magazine copy) and by far G86's well documented build here, I have 2 questions that have never remained perfectly clear.

1) Do you need to bore your long stroke upper cases to fit the bigger short stroke cylinders? My long stroke donor is still a running engine, so I have pulled it apart yet.

2) Has anyone determined the ideal thickness for the engine spacer plate. I'd like to play around the 11-12 compression range as G86 is at (your message box is full btw) and that the poconos resulted in.

If I knew these 2 questions I believe my final questions would be answered and I could move to order the missing parts. My first engine build, so hoping it all goes well in the end. I'll pull on a few friends if I get out of scope.

Thx
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 01-28-2019, 08:06 PM
Amateur

Motorcycle: 1986 GSXR 815, 2002 Bandit 1200N
Re: 815cc stock parts 750 Build Questions

Quote:
Originally Posted by icprey View Post
Hi Guys,

Really inspired by the original Power of Pocono's build years ago (I have the magazine copy) and by far G86's well documented build here, I have 2 questions that have never remained perfectly clear.

1) Do you need to bore your long stroke upper cases to fit the bigger short stroke cylinders? My long stroke donor is still a running engine, so I have pulled it apart yet.

2) Has anyone determined the ideal thickness for the engine spacer plate. I'd like to play around the 11-12 compression range as G86 is at (your message box is full btw) and that the poconos resulted in.

If I knew these 2 questions I believe my final questions would be answered and I could move to order the missing parts. My first engine build, so hoping it all goes well in the end. I'll pull on a few friends if I get out of scope.

Thx
you don't need to bore the upper case, only the conrod small ends. I forgot how thick my block spacer is but Im sure I documented that as well. Im not running any base gaskets on mine, as they attribute to deck height and Cometic makes these spacers in only a few thicknesses. I used high temp silicone as a sealant
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 01-29-2019, 10:09 AM Thread Starter
Track Day Winner

Re: 815cc stock parts 750 Build Questions

Thanks for chiming in G86! I attribute your build (and the resulting videos) to getting me off my butt to finally build one of these after many years of salivating over that article.

I believe I have read all your posts on that build but don't think you ever posted the final spacer thickness. I know you had to purchase a new one after an initial miscalculation. I assumed your compression bump from 10:1 to 11:1 was accomplished with additional spacer plate machining. Now that you say you are no longer running any base gasket, maybe that is where your bump came from, rather than additional machining. I'll reread it and see if I missed it. Basically I just don't want to buy too thin a spacer, as shipping and returns and such are not easy for me.

Great news on the base fitting the cylinders, I always thought there was additional machining required here, as you and the article were already splitting cases anyways, not such a big deal to do, so I always assumed it was part of the build.

I have a June target for this bike's completion. It is supposed to be built only with parts I have lying around and the spacer and machining are supposed to be my only cash outlay.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode