Hello with a question - Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-03-2019, 07:37 PM Thread Starter
Track Day Winner

Garage
Hello with a question

Hello all, I'm not really new but have had so many problems with signing in I just redid it all. But Hello and Happy New Year

I'm restoring a 87 1100 for a guy and he really wants this V&H exhaust and I can't find it. I'm not sure what it was called (race only / competition only) but its a stubby can with a inverted (not sure what to call it) baffle. See picture its easer that way. Anyone know what it was called and if there is any chance finding the baffle? I have a few V&H cans I could modify if I could find the Baffle.

Thanks all
Attached Files
File Type: pdf V&H.pdf (732.8 KB, 48 views)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-04-2019, 01:15 PM
Likes to race old junk.

Location: Innisfail, Alberta and Baffin Island, Nunavut Territory, Canada
Motorcycle: Singles, Twins, a Triple, Four's, a Six and an Eight!
Re: Hello with a question

I have a Yoshimura fetish, so I'm not much help...but I'm sure you'll get an answer soon.
I believe jackbirdxx was building a V&H replica, you could try sending him a PM.
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-04-2019, 01:19 PM Thread Starter
Track Day Winner

Garage
Thanks... I’ll chill and see if anyone replies. I also love Yosh. I hate to admit I have bought a few of the name plates on eBay recently and plan on switching them out on a few old cans.. only a hard core guy would notice it’s not real.. they say USA on them and my Ti Duplex sure didn’t say USA back in the day... trying to source one of them as well without spending $1,500 now
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-04-2019, 01:20 PM Thread Starter
Track Day Winner

Garage
I even emailed V&H directly and asked what it was called and if the baffle is available but no reply to this little guy
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-06-2019, 06:23 AM Thread Starter
Track Day Winner

Garage
V&H did reply to my question and when I used there forum online I wasn’t able to include that picture and I musta discribed it wrong and was shown a picture of the drag sidewinder exhaust.. I replied back and what was very very cool from V&H was I got a follow up email at like 8:30 Friday night saying sorry for the mix- up and he sent over an other picture of the standard exhaust with the turn down time we are all used to seeing. I thanked him for getting back to me as well as sticking with me for obvious not a sale but wanting just to help me.. that customer service sure means a lot to me.. I found a video on YouTube that shows the exact exhaust in the start of the video.. maybe someone can point me in the right direction... thanks..
https://youtu.be/z5Dyvkt-v2o

"Screws fall out all the time, the world is an imperfect place" - Bender
post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-06-2019, 06:26 AM Thread Starter
Track Day Winner

Garage
Sorry for the typo “Turndown Tip”.. using my phone and my eyes arnt what they used to be.. I think I have cheaters in every room now!
post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-06-2019, 12:50 PM
Lifetime Premium

Motorcycle: first gen 750's & a '99 750

yes, seems like a great bike to begin a resto. in my opinion, keeping the polished parts is part of the "period correct" mods. those wheels are not original to the 1987 GSXR 750, but are another example of "period correct" mods. good luck and keep updating.
post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-06-2019, 01:38 PM
Provisional Novice

Motorcycle: suzuki, honda
Garage

that looks very nice....and would love to help with the labor. nicee indeed. lot of patience with the cleaning.
post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-07-2019, 05:59 PM Thread Starter
Track Day Winner

Garage

Ok, V&H got back to me tonight. What I'm told is its a standard "SuperSport" exhaust that we all remember or have and you remove the stock baffle and end cap and use there "Competition Only" baffle and end cap. They are obviously gone gone gone and fining one is gonna be a project in itself.

So if anyone knows a source PLEASE let a brotha know.
post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-08-2019, 04:26 PM
Lifetime Premium

Motorcycle: I don't ride anything. Who has the time? Plus, everything I own is in pieces.

Don't hold me to this but I think the original part number for the baffle was 21256. Vance and Hines called it a Quiet Competition Only baffle. You might keep an eye on eBay, there are 20 or 30 Vance and Hines baffles on there at any given moment.

I think I've sold one or two of them here in years past, you might post a want-ad in the classifieds looking for one. It would not surprise me if one that I sold was still sitting on a shelf, somewhere, waiting on a project bike that will never be...
post #11 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-08-2019, 08:03 PM Thread Starter
Track Day Winner

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by javadog View Post
Don't hold me to this but I think the original part number for the baffle was 21256. Vance and Hines called it a Quiet Competition Only baffle. You might keep an eye on eBay, there are 20 or 30 Vance and Hines baffles on there at any given moment.

I think I've sold one or two of them here in years past, you might post a want-ad in the classifieds looking for one. It would not surprise me if one that I sold was still sitting on a shelf, somewhere, waiting on a project bike that will never be...
Well the guy I’ve been talking to from V&H got back to me tonight.. I’d like to say a big thank you to him for following along with me asking stupid questions... he sent me a page out of an old catalog.. part number 12001CS ....
he explained there are no drawings of the baffle and the dies are long gone.. he sent me a picture of the V&H catalog... anyone got one there is a buyer.. I have posted an add in the classified section and will 🤞🏼 My fingers.. I told the guy I’d buy 10 and then thought of a group buy and said 20... He was nice enough to stay on it for me and send the pic... thanks Robert!!! I gotta resize the pictures to post and I will tomorrow...

"Screws fall out all the time, the world is an imperfect place" - Bender
post #12 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-09-2019, 09:39 AM
Lifetime Premium

Motorcycle: I don't ride anything. Who has the time? Plus, everything I own is in pieces.

Okay, the V&H guy is wrong, for what it's worth. The part number he quoted you would get you a complete competition exhaust system for a GS1100, early Katana, etc. The same system for the GSX-R1100 was 12001XRCO. What you are looking for is just the baffle. Early on (1987) the part number for the baffle was 16029CO. Later (1991) is appears to have changed to 21256 and there is no mention of the earlier part number in the price list.

I'll send you a catalog.

JR
post #13 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-09-2019, 09:44 AM
Lifetime Premium

For what it's worth, the 750 pipe was different, part number 12013XRCO.
post #14 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-09-2019, 12:09 PM Thread Starter
Track Day Winner

Garage
Quote:
You could get a job at V&H... your way quicker to the 🥊
post #15 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-09-2019, 02:31 PM
Lifetime Premium

Nahh, they just make stuff for Harleys now, so I wouldn't be much use to them... only ridden a Harley one time...
post #16 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-10-2019, 08:14 AM
Amateur

Motorcycle: 86/750x2 86/1100, 91/750

Quote:
I saw a guy asking around about one of these recently. Do you have one or know who might?
post #17 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-10-2019, 09:03 AM
Lifetime Premium

Nope, see my reply in the other thread.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode