cylinder studs in 1052 wont bottom - Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com
 3Likes
  • 2 Post By Beairsto Racing
  • 1 Post By OG Oil Cooled

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 12-30-2018, 11:22 AM Thread Starter
Squid

cylinder studs in 1052 wont bottom

im having a problem torqueing ape studs to 15lbsd without sinking them to low in the case to grab with head bolt.first off i bought a 1127 kit and a half to install in 1052 motor and all looked fine,same length as stock.difference being that the stock stud has a roll at the top of the bottom thread that stops it from going to far into the case and the ape stud does not so it sinks to far into the case.called ape and asked about it
and they said to put a ball bearing in the hole to take up slack but i blew the bottom out of the thread well when i tried to torque it down, my question is can loctite the stud to depth. i know someone here has delt
with this. can i get some help please
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 12-30-2018, 12:26 PM
Likes to race old junk.

Location: Innisfail, Alberta and Baffin Island, Nunavut Territory, Canada
Motorcycle: Singles, Twins, a Triple, Four's, a Six and an Eight!
Re: cylinder studs in 1052 wont bottom

https://www.fastenal.com/products/details/62427
Use a thread chaser to clean the threads, not a tap, they remove too much material. Blow the hole out and use brake clean etc to ensure the area is free of contaminants.
Use a Loctite Primer / Activator, in addition to the thread locker, to increase the bond strength.
I'd feel fairly confident after all that, that you'll be able to torque the head down with good results...follow the sequence and do it in stages.

Are you using a quality torque wrench, that has recently been calibrated? It's tough to get consistent results, at lower torque values with cheap ones.

Good luck!

-Scott
oldgixxer and darkirish58 like this.
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 01-04-2019, 01:31 PM
Track Day Winner

Garage
Remember it’s a stud not a bolt. It works different then a bolt. It’s only asking for 15 ft.lbs correct.? I would say you can be safe with threadlock and let it set up.. what is the final torque spec? I redid my Ford 6.0 with ARP studs and they say clearly “finger tight”.. it’s the nut on the other end that does all the work keeping it together.. My2Cents
cbr1000rr likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 01-08-2019, 11:11 PM Thread Starter
Squid

Re: cylinder studs in 1052 wont bottom

thanks for the info guys,got some primer and im going to clean theroughly.my machinist said i could even go with green lock tight but im going to stay with red
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode