3Likes
  • 1 Post By oldgixxer
  • 1 Post By Hootguy
  • 1 Post By Carnage

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-10-2018, 01:11 PM Thread Starter
Thatís Mister Chalet To You ....

How original is this?

This has to be the 3rd or 4th time I get excited about an old bike that I end-up chickening out of after seeing it in person. Maybe this time will pan-out.

This LOOKS a little rough but itís supposed to be all-original and running. IE this would be an aesthetic reconditioning for the most partÖ. and I like playing with vinyl. I actually produced the entire graphics package for this bike back when I did graphics & vinyl but I never printed it.
I see the airbox, blinkers and rear fender so that at least helps support the Ďall originalí claim. There are 48K kms on the clock.

Can you oiler guys look at these and tell me what catches your eye that would confirm or negate the claim that this is indeed original-ish?

The guy says the rust on the exhaust is just surface rust. Hereís a Ďvideoí of it running but how old mut it be to be THAT low rez?
EDIT: for whatever reason, the audio on the imgur video link isn't working for me. I'll try attaching using the uploader, since the file is tiny.

https://i.imgur.com/y4zKZ1g.mp4

Any thoughtsÖ Iím all ears. I'm going to try to get some higher rez pics from the guy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8you4t View Post
Fuck yeah ... I love rubbing my junk on a cheese grater too. Itís so callused I canít feel anything else
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-10-2018, 01:17 PM
Captain Obvious ... because obviously itís obvious.

Motorcycle: 2006 GSXR "250"
Garage
Re: How original is this?

That looks spray-painted rough
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-10-2018, 01:26 PM

Location: In the garage, smoking one of Anthony D's cigars...
Motorcycle: None, gave them all to Anthony D...

Is it listed as an '85?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-10-2018, 01:26 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Just_Nick View Post
That looks spray-painted rough
I assume so, better than brush or roller painted. I'm not a bodywork guy. I have to assume it won't be as simple as just sticking my new vinyls over top of this crappy paint. What's usually involved in smoothing-out paint like this to prep it for paint or vinyl?

Or maybe I have it repainted and then stick just my decals over top, as opposed to a full vinyl wrap.

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldgixxer View Post
Is it listed as an '85?
Yep - 85. Here's the ad blurb:

Sad to say, I need to part with this. All original, First year of the Gsxr. 1985 Gsxr750. She does run, very strong engine. Will need gas tank cleaned, carbs cleaned and a good going over. Overall the bike is in good condition. Will need new tires, brakes for sure.

Quote:
Fuck yeah ... I love rubbing my junk on a cheese grater too. Itís so callused I canít feel anything else
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-10-2018, 01:34 PM
Captain Obvious ... because obviously itís obvious.

Motorcycle: 2006 GSXR "250"
Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by le skid View Post
I assume so, better than brush or roller painted. I'm not a bodywork guy. I have to assume it won't be as simple as just sticking my new vinyls over top of this crappy paint. What's usually involved in smoothing-out paint like this to prep it for paint or vinyl?

Or maybe I have it repainted and then stick just my decals over top, as opposed to a full vinyl wrap.

Yep - 85. Here's the ad blurb:

Sad to say, I need to part with this. All original, First year of the Gsxr. 1985 Gsxr750. She does run, very strong engine. Will need gas tank cleaned, carbs cleaned and a good going over. Overall the bike is in good condition. Will need new tires, brakes for sure.
I'll just point this out: if they half-ass the bodywork, it's likely they half-assed other things. I know bodywork is difficult, but people that care about their work would not want to be within 6 feet of that trainwreck. So, that alone is a red flag to even bother looking at it.

And as far as prep, you're honestly better giving it to someone because not everyone sands and finishes their stuff the same way. Same for priming, they may want a specific primer that's then sanded a very specific way. Otherwise the final product looks as shitty as the primer job did.

2006 GSXR "250" with an Akrapovic full exhaust and a flashed ECM. 162whp, 77ft-lb. Slow-lane certified
2000 Honda VTR 1000. Practically a 250.
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-10-2018, 01:51 PM Thread Starter

Yeah but the point of this thread is how 'original' does this appear to be?

If the answer is 'very', then the attempt at painting is logically the only botched item. This does NOT appear to be a duct-tape restore job, which is why I'm intrigued.

If the main work (paint notwithstanding) is to have the exhaust cleaned-up and the tank done (by someone else, after my last debacle), then we're talking about fork seals, rebuilding the rear shock, lines etc....

Also, I have a guy. So if it's not a trainwreck and does appear to be original, I'd be willing to drive out and take a look see.

Quote:
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-10-2018, 02:03 PM

Get more detailed pics like you mentioned;if the bodywork is indeed OEM(looks like it is) and you have the resources to have it prepped/painted it would be worth it if you wanted a mostly original 750 and the price is right.
That being said,make sure it's a strong runner like the owner described. Or,you could yank the 750 engine and swap either a 1052 or 1127 engine in it and have a pretty stout running 7/11
ghostrider.1127 likes this.
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-10-2018, 02:18 PM Thread Starter

Wasn't this the bike you wiped out on with the hot dog?

I could have bought a VERY clean, original first owner 85 750 a few years back but at the time, I was a bit tight on funds. If I had known relief wasn't too far out, I'd have jumped on it.

This one is 8 hours away so I'll go with pics for the time being.
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-10-2018, 03:31 PM

Quote:
ASSHOLE!

No,the bike that was involved in the hot-dog incident was an '87 FZR-1000 that has nitrous
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-10-2018, 04:35 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldgixxer View Post
ASSHOLE!

I strive for consistency
post #11 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-10-2018, 06:28 PM
Lifetime Premium

Motorcycle: two 85 gsxrs/two 86 limiteds

To answer the original question,i have both examples of the 85 in my shop and my red/black is mint unmolested from new and this one your looking at has all the same original parts,if that helps.
post #12 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-10-2018, 06:28 PM Thread Starter

Sunuvabitch. Apparently, some asshole here in Montreal already said he's taking it and is supposed to transfer a deposit tonight to take the ad down.

And I already had truck / trailer arranged for Thursday. I've seen nicer / cleaner but it was a cheap potential starting point if it had checked-out as mostly original.
post #13 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-12-2019, 12:30 PM
Lifetime Premium

Motorcycle: 89gsxr-rk,(2),,86 GSXR LTD,,86 gsxr-750 rd/blk,,85 GSXR 750,, 96 gsxr 750/rf900,,98 gsxr 750,,99yosh 750 superbike..86 RG500 Walter Wolf,,86 RG500 blue/wht,,

one thing to check on the 85's is the front axle is smaller,15mm if i remember correctly,86 up they went for a bit bigger,but to be original 85 it's got to have the small axle,
oldgixxer likes this.
post #14 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-13-2019, 04:56 AM
Soberz again

Motorcycle: 2006 GSX-R1000
Garage

Quote:

oldgixxer likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode