• 1 Post By awasson
  • 1 Post By mg4201

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 09-19-2018, 04:31 PM Thread Starter
Track Day Winner

Motorcycle: Restoring GSXR750M and F
Suspension Swap

Hi Guys and Gals.
I've got a GSX-R750F and a GSX-R750L. Both of which are in a sorry state. Despite never having ridden a GSX-R750F, I've always wanted one since I was a teenager.
My question is would a front end transplant from the GSX-R750L into the F be an improvement or will it take away from the GSX-R750F experience. Do I stick with the original suspension on the GSX-R750F?
The reason I ask is that both sets of stansions require re-chroming and I can only afford to do one set.
Cheers,
Mike
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 09-20-2018, 09:11 AM
Squid

Garage
Re: Suspension Swap

The USD forks from the L should be an upgrade performance wise, and most like the look as well unless going for completely period-correct resto. Go for it
Since you have the parts I guess you can see what mods you'll need to make (steering lock, steering stops, clip-on position, cable routing etc)
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 09-20-2018, 09:13 AM
Squid

Garage

...and since the 1990 forks aren't exactly brand new, some new springs matched to your weight is probably a good upgrade as well.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 09-21-2018, 11:06 PM
Lifetime Premium

Motorcycle: first gen 750's & a '99 750

it all depends on what you want from your ride. if you want to improve performance and stability, then fitting a complete front end from a 88-91 750 is what you want. a complete front end, though. everything. otherwise, just keep the stock stuff and rebuild as your budget allows. tires make a big difference, so don't skimp on them.

post some fotos...if this website allows foto uploads.

good luck
awasson likes this.
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 09-26-2018, 01:50 PM
Lifetime Premium

Motorcycle: 1985 GSXR 750, 1986 GSXR Limited, GSXR750RK (in restoration mode), 1973 GT-750 (no longer have, looking for another)

I'm used to talking about GSXR's in terms of years so I may get this wrong but here goes. I'm assuming the GSX-R750F is the 1985 GSXR and the GSX-R750L is the 1990.

I've owned my GSX-R750F since 1986 so I've had some time to form an opinion or two. The GSX-R750F has a shorter swing arm than the G/H models and that presents IMO the greatest problem for the bike on the street. In OEM form, it was a twitchy and nervous bike on regular roadways. I've also got a Limited GSX-R750R LTD (G) and it has a completely different feel from my GSX-R750F when it was OEM as far as stability compared to the GSX-R750F.

So with that out of the way, I wholeheartedly recommend the front end transplant + wheel and tires. It brings the bike into the modern world. As a bonus, it can be done in such a way that you can return it to stock without any signs that it had been modified too. The steering stem is the same diameter and it takes the same bearings. You basically remove the entire front end, brakes, wheel, clipons, upper and lower triples and install it on your GSX-R750F. Change the upper and lower bearings while you're at it. It's cheap and you will note an improvement after 33 years of use and abuse.

Important: When you have the front end off the GSX-R750L, take a hack saw and remove the steering lock horns from the lower triple. They will bind on the GSX-R750F frame and you won't get enough turn radius unless you do this.

You also want to do the rear wheel swap and in order to make that work, you'll need the wheel spacers from the GSX-R750L. You will also need to put a curve in the rear brake torque bar so that it will clear the wider rear tire. I'm running a 120/180 combo on my GSX-R750F and it is amazing.

The rear shock on the F will be hooped and probably has been for the last 30+ years so change it up. I put an Ohlins in mine but they are pricey. With a little fabrication Yamaha R6 shock will fit. The spring rate won't be 100% perfect for the really picky riders among us but it will be heads and tails better than the OEM which is unserviceable.

Anyway, have fun and hopefully you'll share some photos.
jonsvba likes this.

Andrew Wasson

I'm building a self-serve registry for listing our bikes from all around the world.
List your bike here:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 09-30-2018, 10:34 AM
Track Day Winner

Motorcycle: 85 GSXR 750
Garage

I just swapped out my 85 rear shock with a yamaha r1 or r6, I will have to look. you need to mod the battery box and use a smaller battery. The box can be modded with a big tin snip, then just clean up the cuts with a die grinder. Then a shot of flat rust paint and you are done. If you want the details just reply back and I will take a picture of the drawing for you.
awasson likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode