Cam and valve timing - Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By Testie

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-25-2018, 01:36 AM Thread Starter
Track Day Winner

Cam and valve timing

1985 GSXR750F
Just installed new rings and did a valve grind. All went well until, following the book , exhaust cam "1" arrow pointing to the gasket surface front of engine ,count link pins (21) to the inlet cog set on "3" arrow. Now the notches on the end of the cams point away from each other ,the book looks like they point towards each other. Adjusting the valve clearance as per book makes no sense. See picture 1 and picture 2. Picture 4 is inlet cog and correct arrow on pin 21 of the chain and picture 5 is the exhast cog
Any comments of help.
Col
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	05-IMG_1342.JPG
Views:	28
Size:	188.4 KB
ID:	552242   Click image for larger version

Name:	13-IMG_1350.JPG
Views:	26
Size:	145.4 KB
ID:	552244   Click image for larger version

Name:	08-IMG_1345.JPG
Views:	23
Size:	153.8 KB
ID:	552248   Click image for larger version

Name:	09-IMG_1346.JPG
Views:	29
Size:	169.6 KB
ID:	552250  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-25-2018, 02:29 PM
Amateur

Motorcycle: GSXR1186N mainly, plus a few others I've bought over the years
Re: Cam and valve timing

One of the cams is 180 degrees out - those notches either face each other or face away from each other. Have you refitted the cam sprockets incorrectly , easy to make an error. Refit your cams with #1 on tdc and ignition rotor on #1 - then refit cams in their proper positions, as per pictures
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-25-2018, 04:23 PM Thread Starter
Track Day Winner

Ok thatís what I thought but I never had the sprockets off and it was running fine. If I turn the sprocket 180 * will the cam lobes be correct. That is are the cam lobes the same on both sides of the shaft? Not explaining well but...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-25-2018, 10:36 PM Thread Starter
Track Day Winner

Thanks to a mate who knows old school bikes, we(he), found that although I had never removed the cog on the inlet cam, it was 180* out of phase. We removed the two bolts holding the cog to the cam shaft and spin it half a turn, this makes the cams with the notches in the correct orantation as per the book. Now to set the valve clearances and hope that the valves have not hit the tops of the pistons, most tappets were loose so here is hoping.
Only posting to inform anybody how have looked in and thanks to nickr.
Col
nickr likes this.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-26-2018, 12:25 AM
Lifetime Premium

Motorcycle: 1985 GSXR750F x 2, 2009 KLX250s, 2003 XLR125.

turn the engine over two full turns by hand if you are worried about the timing.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-26-2018, 03:07 AM Thread Starter
Track Day Winner

Hopefully all good now just need to button it up and slip it back in the frame. And then the fun starts, well letís hope it does start lol
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-14-2018, 11:22 PM Thread Starter
Track Day Winner

Finally back together, slight oil leak on first run. Wiped the sump where the oil was dripping and found the sump plug was nearly out. Guess who forgot to tighten it ! Lucky me it stayed in and the drip was just enough to wake me up and do no damage. I do remember , some weeks ago , putting it back in fingertight and as the motor has been sitting on the bench for eight weeks I just forgot to tighten it. Alsiemers stricks again. Alls well that ends well......
Col
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-12-2018, 05:37 AM Thread Starter
Track Day Winner

Talking Re: Cam and valve timing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Testie View Post
Finally back together, slight oil leak on first run. Wiped the sump where the oil was dripping and found the sump plug was nearly out. Guess who forgot to tighten it ! Lucky me it stayed in and the drip was just enough to wake me up and do no damage. I do remember , some weeks ago , putting it back in fingertight and as the motor has been sitting on the bench for eight weeks I just forgot to tighten it. Alsiemers stricks again. Alls well that ends well......
Col
Pleased to announce that after a small period of taking it easy ie. low revs, it now has had a run where the revs snuck up to 9000 which is a lot higher than it has been for some time, it is pulling like a train. Anything above 4000 it starts to fly and the front wheel gets very light. Remember that I am getting old and reflexes arenít what they used to be so I try to be conservative. Anyway a refresh certainly did not do it any harm.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode