"87 GSXR 750 Indicator/Turn Signal Problems HELP! - Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 07-18-2018, 03:16 PM Thread Starter
Track Day Winner

Garage
"87 GSXR 750 Indicator/Turn Signal Problems HELP!

Hey guys, I cannot figure out what's going on with my turn signals. I've got a Clymer manual, I "think" I know which wires are which, and I've got old and new lights that I have been trying to get working. None of the signals will come on, and the most I can get to happen is to get the right and left lights to come on the gauges. When I turn the signal switch on, the light on the gauge just stays on on either side depending on which one I try. I am stumped. I've got the 4 wires identified up front, but for some reason I can only find three wires on the rear for the signal, I find that kinda weird. Any help is much appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 07-18-2018, 09:49 PM
Squid

Motorcycle: 1987 GSXR 1100 plus 48 others
Re: "87 GSXR 750 Indicator/Turn Signal Problems HELP!

There should be 1 power and 1 earth lead. On OEM the earth lead will be black, right and left side will have individual colours (usually green and orange) - these are the power leads. On replacement aftermarket indicators I have found that usually the leads will be black and black white. Usually black is power and black white is earth just to confuse but you can tell by taking the lense off and seeing which lead attached to the back of the globe mount and which one earths. Do that and you'll have the wiring sorted at the indicator end. Now make sure your indicator relay is in good nick as these go on the blink fairly regularly and are a cheap replacement. If the lights are not flashing or flash on one side and not the other replace it. Some indicators for the US market will have three leads - one is for a hazard circuit and may not be relevant to your bike unless it has the hazard warning circuit. Get a two wire indicator to replace if this is the case and not relevant to your market. You may find at the rear that the earth wires go into the same circuit as well through a double plug. Can't remember from mine. It's fairly easy to sort just make sure the manual is for your bike and country so that the wiring map is relevant. Do one side at a time as usually front and rear are on the same circuit. Looks like you're almost there so good luck.
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 07-24-2018, 02:04 AM Thread Starter
Track Day Winner

Garage
Re: "87 GSXR 750 Indicator/Turn Signal Problems HELP!

Thanks for the advice boss. Took a couple days before I could get to it, but turn signal issue solved. I felt like I solved a murder when I did it finally, so happy! Thanks again man!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode