Hi all. After joining this forum a few months back I figured its about time i started a build thread
Just before the new year I picked up a new project... 86 GSXR 1100, far from complete! But it has come with a 91 gsxr 1100 swingarm, srad forks, some B12 wheels and a custom subframe for a more modern gixxer tail piece. The swingarm still needed some axle spacers and the forks required a different upper bearing... both now sorted. The subframe will be binned for a new one.
The plan is to build a monocoque tank/tail unit, custom exhaust (home made), remove shock linkage and relocate upper shock mount for direct fitment with alternative shock (possibly er6). Iíve recently picked up a bandit 1200 motor for it too, which i plan to get vapour blasted as some point. The engine will remain stock for the moment with plans to upgrade later.
So, tank progress so far...
First a cardboard mock-up
Next I dismantled and measured my cardboard mock-up to then recreate the parts in Solidworks. I then flattened and exported the parts into our (work) sheet metal software, where i then programmed the parts to be cut out of a sheet of 18 gauge stainless steel. I was originally going to use 2mm aluminium but the steel was half the price, our machinery at work is limited on the tooling i can use to punch 2mm ALI so Iíd have had to cut all the parts manually! Plus Iím much better at welding steel :P
The design below also shows the battery location based on a 12-cell anti gravity unit and a channel to hide the wiring. What it doesnít show are the tank baffles, which will be added later. Also, the plan is to have the tank pivot at the headstock to gain access to battery/underseat area.
Next I went about bending the metal. The zero radius bends i put on using the bending machines at work, but unfortunately work didnít have the tooling to bend the larger radius bends i needed so i had to improvise at home! Fortunately a had a couple of used disposable argon bottles that worked a treat.
Unfortunately, this weekend, I only got as far as tacking one side of the tank before running out of Argon but am pretty pleased with how it looks so far...