Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner

Battery Box Relocation Help.

2K views 8 replies 7 participants last post by  swampthing 
#1 ·
I am in the middle of trying to fit and '04 Rear shock into my '91 7/11. The stocker is no good anymore and figured an update wouldnt hurt anything.

The Overall length is the same, as are the mounting point dimentions, but the resevior is mounted to the top of the shock as opposed to being remotely mounted like the stock one, and it is going to hit my battery box. does anyone have any pics or directions for solving this slight issue?

Thanks.

Attachments

See less See more
#4 ·
someone on here mounted their battery box backward so it would clear the cbr600rr shock they were swapping. if you're using the stock shock mount, you should be able to get away with this but the battery box doesn't fit extremely well turned around (although it will work) and you'll have to rework the inner fender. i don't know if your stock wiring harness will extend far enough for the cdi to plug in on the opposite side of the battery box but it probably will...

the battery used in this bike from the factory is pretty big so i'm going to try the 08 v-max battery which is much smaller and is advertised with more cold cranking amps than the yb14la2...guess well see if thats true...

maybe someone on here already knows this...

it looks like the pads on the bottom of the seat rest on the factory battery hold down for support? if you relocate your battery does the seat still stay adequaltely supported???

#6 ·
well turns out the spring diameter of the 04 is larger then the 91 and well it interfears with the cush lever. So thats the end of that for now. Thinking i will try a full swingarm and wheel swap.

#9 ·
+1 to what xracerx said, space the upper shock mount away from the frame with about 3 washers on each of the 4 mounting bolts between the frame and the upper mount. That's what I did, only cost about $1 at the local hardware store. You might also have to grind a very little bit off the bottom of the upper shock mount as well. Just about 2mm did it for mine. Good Luck.

Not the best pic, but you can kind of see how the mount is spaced away from the frame.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.