Testing coils - Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 35 (permalink) Old 07-03-2007, 09:34 AM Thread Starter
Squid

Testing coils

Hiya. I think my ignition coils are bad, as the previous owner said that the bike was left in the rain overnight.... I checked for spark, and i get tiny little fizzles on the end of the plug instead of the clear blue spark it should have, on both coils. one is weaker than the other, and my battery is fully charged. I am not very electrically inclined, but I have a multimeter, and was wondering how I should go about checking my coils to make sure its them and not the "black box" as i have heard others say?

Here is a highly technical picture of my coils, but i really don't know where to test and what setting the multimeter should be on, and what i am looking for...

Also, I kind of can't remember which plug goes where some help there would be appreciated also (i guessed for the picture)

and if it turns out to be a pair of bad coils, would a 1990 GSXR 1100 pair work? mine is a 1991 750.

Thanks a ton
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 35 (permalink) Old 07-03-2007, 12:19 PM
Amateur

Motorcycle: 91 Gsxr 750 Fighter, 90 Gsxr 750 Fighter, 01 Sv650, 72 RD350, 69 Mustang
Re: Testing coils

I have no clue but here's what I did to make sure mine where "ok". lol

I put the meter on Ohm and I checked the terminals of the right coil and noted the reading. Then I checked the left coil and they both seemed to be nearly the same.

That worked for me!
post #3 of 35 (permalink) Old 07-03-2007, 12:39 PM Thread Starter
Squid

they are supposed to be 3ohms, right? what if both read something different ; ; gonna test them in a little bit
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 35 (permalink) Old 07-03-2007, 03:58 PM
idiot

Motorcycle: 1990 GSXR1100

Do a search - someone described the test procedure very well within the last couple of weeks. Basicly 2-3 ohms LV, 30-40kohm HT. Leaving bike in rain overnight will not make ur coils go bad. They may be wet and shorting but once they r dried out they will be ok. If both read something other than spec then this is not a good sign but make sure they r dry b4 u test.
post #5 of 35 (permalink) Old 07-03-2007, 06:35 PM
Zuka-Sauraus Rider

This is the thread Mark_E was referring to
https://www.gixxer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=145854
post #6 of 35 (permalink) Old 07-03-2007, 07:04 PM
Supersport

Motorcycle: 92' Gsx-R 750 built from the ground up.

I think the 1100 coils are 3 ohm, and 750 coils are 2. but I'm running 98 1100 coils now,a nd they've been kicking for 2 years. your diaghram for the coil leads is wrong. the first coil (sitting on bike) should be plug #1, and #4.
coil 2 should be #2, and #3.

to test your coils set the meter on ohms up to 20,and test the two prong terminals to see the resistance. spac is like 2.2 ohms. secondary winding resistance is the plug leads test there should be 20-30K for spec.

Still looking for seventh gear!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

RIP Mike. You are sadly missed
post #7 of 35 (permalink) Old 07-03-2007, 08:44 PM Thread Starter
Squid

thanks for the replies. I read the post with the indian guy before posting this, but really wasn't sure how to test it (yes i'm that bad with electronics), the last post clears a lot of.

will let you know results tomorrow.
post #8 of 35 (permalink) Old 07-03-2007, 10:02 PM
Amateur

Stick the multimeter leads in plug cap 1 and 4 respectively. It should read betwen 30-40kohms. Repeat for 2 and 3.

then put the leads on the input lugs. it should sit between 2.4 and 3.2 ohms

The above data is for 89-92 1100.

Also what plugs are in the bike. The manual calls for R type plugs and the NGK cataloge hasn't got the R (at least in Australia). I found it dosn't work on the non-R plugs.
post #9 of 35 (permalink) Old 07-03-2007, 10:32 PM Thread Starter
Squid

I have NGK R CR10EK plugs, although they are fouled pretty bad, they should work better than "fizzle fizzle"...

random question: the aluminum on the exhaust can is melted off... this is a bad sign, isn't it? is that hot enough to seriously damage internals? I am going to run a compression test tomorrow also
post #10 of 35 (permalink) Old 07-04-2007, 10:06 AM
Supersport

sounds like a sign of lean overheating. my 97' TransAm had a problem once, shop couldn't figure it out for nothing. new plugs, wires. same problem. finally it acted up while they had the car. the mechanic said look under your car. I got down, and glanced under it ,the exhaust headers were glowing red! from a lean mixture which is what the computer read out they thought it was a error with a, O2 sensor. they found the pump was not pumping like it should.

The point I'm making is the lean condition was soo hot it made the headers glow red. I was wondering if I had a burnt piston after that but I never had any trouble. aluminum's melting point is around 1100 degree's F. so its possible if its running lean like that. can you post a pic of what your seeing?

you should also test your ignition pickup coil (under the cover in front of the clutch right side) put your meter on the two wires coming from that (BTW one wire is for the oil sensor don't confuse it) test for ohms there to be good it should read between 150-180 ohms.

Edit: BTW Another spark test is to get a small block of wood, with a hole cut in the middle. drive 2 nails in each end untill they are exactly 5/16"(inch) apart, and run your plug leads to one nail head then a wire to a ground on the bike on the other. If your spark can't jump across a 5/16" gap somethings not right.

G/L
Snake

Still looking for seventh gear!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

RIP Mike. You are sadly missed

Last edited by SNAKEYES; 07-04-2007 at 10:12 AM.
post #11 of 35 (permalink) Old 07-04-2007, 01:07 PM Thread Starter
Squid

I sadly only have an analog multimeter, and after testing my ignition coils, they both gave me the reading of 0 resistance on the top and 19,000 resistance on the plugs. I will try and get a digital one when the store opens tomorrow...

when I pulled the plugs, they were pretty black from carbon, which would lead me to think it was running very lean. the exhaust exterior has basically melted off revealing the steel insides. i'll snap a pic with my camera also.

I think the spark plug problem and the running lean problem are two different things, although i'm not sure. how fouled do plugs have to be to only barely spark? lol
post #12 of 35 (permalink) Old 07-04-2007, 01:59 PM Thread Starter
Squid

ok, i couldn't find the ignition pickup coil, as most of the stuff in the bike has been moved around, but i probably have no idea what i'm looking for. here is a picture of the exhaust taken from my cell phone. you can see where the aluminum is melted off revealing the steel inside. I hope my internals don't look the same :S

I hope you guys check back when i do the compression and the digital multimeter test >.< hopefully its just really badly fouled spark plugs, or new coils or carb tuning at worst...

post #13 of 35 (permalink) Old 07-04-2007, 02:00 PM
idiot

If I ever foul my plugs I replace them with new ones - NQA.

R those the right plugs for ur bike? They wouldn't be 4 mine.

Also bear in mind u can be rich in one part of the rev range and lean in another. Black sooty plugs indicate rich. Melted exhaust indicates lean.
post #14 of 35 (permalink) Old 07-04-2007, 02:06 PM
idiot

Say! - that looks pretty awesome. U should market that. I don't s'pose that's helping with any fueling issues u may have.

Get urself a manual - D/L one if u don't have the dosh.

. . . and we always check back
post #15 of 35 (permalink) Old 07-04-2007, 02:30 PM Thread Starter
Squid

mind pointing to where i can find a manual, or would that break some sort of law? otherwise, i'll just do a bit of digging myself...

what plugs should i get?

i managed to find an 1100 manual for the same year, hopefully they are not too different?

edit2: found it... search function ftw !

Last edited by Omalika; 07-04-2007 at 03:07 PM.
post #16 of 35 (permalink) Old 07-04-2007, 03:19 PM
Supersport

plugs are black they're fouled from richness. I'm shocked at that can! the reading on the coils is that 0.0? or do you mean infinity? infinity is like they will never complete the circuit loop. did you set it on a low reading? like 20 ohms or under? put on lead on one prong, and one lead on the other prong?
post #17 of 35 (permalink) Old 07-04-2007, 04:13 PM Thread Starter
Squid

no, its my multimeter, since it only has ohm x1K setting, so it itsn't sensitive enough for 2.2ohms, but the x1k setting reads 19K on both coils for the secondary winding resistance, so that is off by 10k.... I need a digital multimeter to be sure.
post #18 of 35 (permalink) Old 07-04-2007, 05:38 PM
idiot

Get the right manual 4 ur bike. Search on this very forum and u will find a link (if u haven't already). The G-men will probably be too busy to track u down but don't point the finger at me if they come knocking.

A crap digital mm is almost as bad as crap the analog one which u have.
post #19 of 35 (permalink) Old 07-04-2007, 07:06 PM Thread Starter
Squid

I'll be sure to get a good quality MM thanks a ton, and I will update later!
post #20 of 35 (permalink) Old 07-04-2007, 10:49 PM
Zuka-Sauraus Rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by Omalika
ok, i couldn't find the ignition pickup coil, as most of the stuff in the bike has been moved around, but i probably have no idea what i'm looking for. here is a picture of the exhaust taken from my cell phone. you can see where the aluminum is melted off revealing the steel inside. I hope my internals don't look the same :S

I hope you guys check back when i do the compression and the digital multimeter test >.< hopefully its just really badly fouled spark plugs, or new coils or carb tuning at worst...

OK so it was the previous owner of your bike that posted this on you tube.
http://youtube.com/watch?v=eBQD335cJos
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode