HA!..I knew Elite XC was fixed!!!! - Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-08-2008, 07:28 AM Thread Starter
Faps to Fantasy Football, and fails at that even

Motorcycle: Bugman approved k6 silver n grey gixxer thou
HA!..I knew Elite XC was fixed!!!!

http://sports.yahoo.com/mma/news?slu...yhoo&type=lgns

Seth Petruzelli, after going from nobody to national celebrity for punching out Kimbo Slice, went on the radio Monday. He delivered a shot potentially more powerful than anything he threw Saturday.

He said his original plan against Kimbo was to get him to the ground and exploit his weak wrestling skills and submission defense. It made more sense than trading punches with a street brawler who outweighed him by 30 pounds. Petruzelli said he changed his mind though.

The promoters kind of hinted to me, and they gave me the money to stand and trade with him,” he told “The Monsters in Orlando” radio show. “They didn’t want me to take him down, let’s just put it that way. It was worth my while to try to stand up and punch with him.”

The quote spoke of an attempt to if not rig the fight, then make it favorable for Slice, the main star and cash cow of the EliteXC promotion.

Such an action would be a disaster for mixed martial arts as it attempts to convince mainstream audiences it isn’t scripted pro wrestling or a farcical Toughman contest. If EliteXC gave Petruzelli money to fight one way, it would open itself to all sorts of investigations.

The allegation rocketed around the country, making bigger post-fight news than pictures of Petruzelli in drag (more on that later. Needless to say, it’s been a wild couple of days for him).

EliteXC’s Jared Shaw immediately denied the fixing charge to Yahoo! Sports and fellow executive Jeremy Lappen did the same to Sherdog.com.

Tuesday, Petruzelli said he got the story confused.

“What that meant was they offer a knockout bonus, submission bonuses, fight of the night bonuses,” Petruzelli said in a phone interview. “I think it just got misconstrued. I wanted to have an exciting fight and I wanted the knock out bonus so I wanted to keep it standing.”

So did they say anything about keeping the fight off the ground?

“They just said, ‘we want to see an exciting fight no matter what happens.’ I took it as I wanted the knockout bonus.”
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-08-2008, 11:11 AM
!##NULL##!

Motorcycle: wtchtwr
Re: HA!..I knew Elite XC was fixed!!!!

Well, that plan backfired
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-08-2008, 11:19 AM
I’m a SEX addict and proud of it!

Motorcycle: '08 gixxer 1K - sold; I have no bike :o(

LA LA LA LA LA LA... I can't hear you..
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-08-2008, 11:30 AM Thread Starter

I guess Shaw countered with this:

http://sports.yahoo.com/mma/news;_yl...yhoo&type=lgns

Just a day removed from his 14-second technical knockout of Internet legend Kimbo Slice, last-minute replacement Seth Petruzelli stirred up controversy surrounding his addition to the main event after an appearance on a local Orlando radio show on Monday.

In the interview, Petruzelli hinted at the fact that he may have been given a bonus or incentive to only stand and trade with Kimbo in the fight, and to not take the fight to the ground.

“The promoters kind of hinted to me, and they gave me the money to stand and trade with him. They didn’t want me to take him down, let’s just put it that way,” said Petruzelli while appearing on 104.1 FM.

MMAWeekly.com spoke to EliteXC vice president Jared Shaw on Monday night. He categorically denied the report that they paid him to keep the fight standing.

“Absolutely not,” Shaw answered to questions if the allegations were true. “Whether that was something Seth was taken out of context or Seth was trying to say something different, I don’t know. What I can tell you, I was in the locker room with Seth with the contract; that did not happen.

“Why in a million years would we ask Seth to not take Kimbo down? That’s crazy. That’s all Kimbo’s been working on is the ground game. Ken Shamrock, 84 percent of his wins are submission and through the ground, so Kimbo was ready for the ground. If anybody knows Seth Petruzelli, he’s a K-1 fighter, I wouldn’t want him standing. So to say ‘don’t take him down,’ that’s ridiculous.”

Since the initial interview on the radio, Petruzelli retracted the statement when speaking to Sam Caplan at FiveOuncesofPain.com. The 14-second phenom will also join MMAWeekly Radio on Tuesday night to address the win and the entire situation surrounding the fight with Kimbo Slice.

When speaking with MMAWeekly.com, Shaw also addressed the scene during the final seconds of the Petruzelli vs. Kimbo fight that saw the EliteXC executive yelling towards the referee about an illegal blow to the back of the head, that seemed to show bias in his interest in the fight.

“I may have reacted that way, and I still believe there was a hit to the back of the head, but I’m not in control of the situation,” Shaw commented. “I don’t file the protests and anything I say doesn’t really matter at that time. I’m essentially a fan like everyone else.

“But as the promoter of both sides, I have no business reacting at all. That’s why I apologized to Seth Petruzelli first and foremost. I’m excited to work with Seth; I’m excited to promote Seth.”

Shaw says his passion is always for the fighters and the heat of the moment got the best of him in the situation.

“It’s not the first time you’ve seen me go crazy about a ref’s decision and it has nothing to do with Kimbo,” Shaw commented. “Look at Jared Hamman and Poai Suganuma the first time around. It was a very quick stoppage; I was very upset. I always side with the ref at the end of the day, no matter what I think in the heat of the moment. The ref has the hardest job in the cage.”
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-08-2008, 11:33 AM Thread Starter

its funny that Shamrocks game plan was to stand up too, cuz everyone knows Kimbos weakness is ground game, and shamrock is decent on the ground. Besides, I thought pugelists fight to win, so why play Kimbo at his own game?!?!? IMO they def fixed fights to ride the Kimbo train.
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-29-2008, 09:03 AM
Track Day Winner

Motorcycle: '04 gsxr 600

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode