First week of training in new class. - Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-27-2008, 10:59 PM Thread Starter
Amateur

Motorcycle: '06 GSX-R 750; '99 GS500E (First Bike)
First week of training in new class.

Today was my first week of training in a different school. I haven't trained since the Marines, and now getting back into it, seems pretty awkward. I realize that different instructors have different styles, but I'm not trying to change my fighting techniques that I've already learned. I'm just simply trying to expand my knowledge and skill. So far I've just been getting frustrated with my new school. I don't want to over write my brain housing group from what already works. Has anyone else been in a similar situation? Going from one instructor to another. How have you dealt with your frustrations, and were you able to maintain past teachings ?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-28-2008, 04:53 AM
Track Day Winner

Re: First week of training in new class.

Were you training in that marine fighting style?( cant remember what its called) Ive done army combatives, and it was more for killing people and restraining. The MMA class is propably teaching you to fight in the ring rather than in combat.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-28-2008, 11:53 PM Thread Starter
Amateur

Motorcycle: '06 GSX-R 750; '99 GS500E (First Bike)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Recognize408 View Post
Were you training in that marine fighting style?( cant remember what its called) Ive done army combatives, and it was more for killing people and restraining. The MMA class is propably teaching you to fight in the ring rather than in combat.
MCMAP (Marine Corps Martial Art Program)

Yes it has more to do with "outside of the ring" type of stuff. Like I never really expect them to show us how to cut out someones throat in a knife fight, or how to treat someones face like a bowling ball, or how to tear muscle from the bone from a simple muscle gouging technique. However I do feel that something as simple as a round house should be quite universal. I did however learn a new way to do an arm bar from the gaurd, but it seems like they have too many movements before exicution. It is nice to learn another option in technique/execution. Even if it doesn't look the same. The idea/outcome is pretty close.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-25-2008, 03:52 AM
Track Day Winner

What are you actually training in ? How has it been since ?
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-05-2008, 06:14 PM
Track Day Winner

Motorcycle: 04 Gsxr 1000

If you want to be really good with the stand up. Find a person that will train you in traditional Muy Tai. If you look at some of the best MMA fighters they are well versed in Muy Tai and Judo or Jui Jitsu.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-28-2008, 12:24 AM
Amateur

Motorcycle: K5 1000

What school are you training at? Who is the instructor?

Also, don't worry about learning something new. So what if you learn a different way to do an armbar? You think there is only one way? Not so. Many many variables from each position. You will never learn them all.

But remember to empty your cup. Not, your jock strap, but your thought process. As long as you keep your cup full, you will not learn (or re-fill your cup) anything new.
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-03-2008, 11:52 AM
Track Day Winner

Motorcycle: '04 gsxr 600

Quote:
Originally Posted by USMC MAD HATTER View Post
Today was my first week of training in a different school. I haven't trained since the Marines, and now getting back into it, seems pretty awkward. I realize that different instructors have different styles, but I'm not trying to change my fighting techniques that I've already learned. I'm just simply trying to expand my knowledge and skill. So far I've just been getting frustrated with my new school. I don't want to over write my brain housing group from what already works. Has anyone else been in a similar situation? Going from one instructor to another. How have you dealt with your frustrations, and were you able to maintain past teachings ?
When I started BJJ over in Germany ( i was contracting for the DOA) and I trained with Marines, i was the only chick, and there was a difference in style for them.

Its all different technique, i have noticed that they liked to be more aggressive right off the bat, instead of absorbing technique. But one thing to remember is that each instructor is going to teach you the fundamentals plus moves that he/she has found to work for them.

My MMA instructor teaches us a lot of moves that has worked for him when he fought in Pride and UFC (he will be fighting UFC on the 15th on Nov his name is Aaron Riley).

All and all i like the difference in instruction because you learn a combination of style, plus you can take those moves and techniques and make your own moves.
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-22-2008, 09:01 AM
Amateur

Motorcycle: K6 GSX-R600

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aly Veneno View Post
When I started BJJ over in Germany ( i was contracting for the DOA) and I trained with Marines, i was the only chick, and there was a difference in style for them.

Its all different technique, i have noticed that they liked to be more aggressive right off the bat, instead of absorbing technique. But one thing to remember is that each instructor is going to teach you the fundamentals plus moves that he/she has found to work for them.

My MMA instructor teaches us a lot of moves that has worked for him when he fought in Pride and UFC (he will be fighting UFC on the 15th on Nov his name is Aaron Riley).

All and all i like the difference in instruction because you learn a combination of style, plus you can take those moves and techniques and make your own moves.
Most people (guys mostly) feel they have to muscle there way into submitting the other person, whereas the BJJ technique is more effective with correct usage/technique rather then forcing it upon an opponent. Aly are you still training with Aaron? He trains over at One Spirit On Tues and Thursdays at the Alexandria facility. Not sure if he also trains at the Herndon facility on the other days.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode