Metal Flakes in the oil..... - Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 10-01-2014, 03:40 AM Thread Starter
Squid

Metal Flakes in the oil.....

I have a 1993 750WP which I bought from a dealer in July. It has 46,000 miles on it but you wouldnt think so looking at it, it is in very good cosmetic condition for its age. I bought it to refurbish it and return back to its standard condition - there were a few blingy mods done to it which i wasnt too keen on.

Bike has now been stripped down, however i decided to drop the oil pan, I wanted to either aqua blast it or spray it black. I wasnt too happy to find a fair amount (about half a thimbles worth) of metal flakes swimming around in the residual oil that hadnt quite flowed out of the drain plug. Unfortunately I didnt take a picture straight away, but did once i'd fished some out of the sump.

The particles are non magnetic, and are silver in colour. I reckon could be a bearing, but I dont recall having any nasty noises, although the engine did vibrate around 7000 rpm, more thatn the usual Gixer "buzz" that i remember from old.

The flakes in the picture are about a quarter of the amount that came out of the sump.

Luckily the bike came with 3 months warranty, which runs out in a weeks time, so spoke with them yesterday but the boss was away. Should hopefully have some feedback from them next week.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 10-01-2014, 04:09 AM

Location: In the garage, smoking one of Anthony D's cigars...
Motorcycle: None, gave them all to Anthony D...
Re: Metal Flakes in the oil.....

Time to tear that engine down and inspect the usual suspects
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 10-01-2014, 03:24 PM Thread Starter
Squid

Re: Metal Flakes in the oil.....

Took the cam cover off today to rule out any top end mischief.............the cams look like new, cant believe theve been in there for 46000 miles, or at least i'm assuming they are the originals. So looks like the swarf/chuinks of metal must be bottom end or transmission. The dealer I bought the bike from is contacting me next week to discuss a solution.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode