best oil iv used - Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 22 (permalink) Old 05-25-2013, 10:59 PM Thread Starter
Squid
 
joejitsu's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: british columbia
Motorcycle: 2006 gsxr 600.
Posts: 11
best oil iv used

I just did my first oil change on my 06 gsxr 600 I recently acquired.the owner claimed that he ran only motul syn and that it was only 500kms since last change.but the oil was black and mirky.so I emptied it and then filled back up with cheap 10w40 and emptied again til th elast drop was out.the oil was some of the worst iv seen it looked like it had sil in it.anyhow I did the same as all my gsxrs iv had and added amsoil 10w40 synthetic and kn oil filter.it quieted down engine noise and shifts silky smooth.just as my 06 750 did and my last 06 600 did after the amsoil swap.i highly recommend switching to amsoil after trying motul,suzuki reg,royal purple synthetic,and notice a quieter engine and silky quiet shifting.just my experiences and I wanted to share ,after all we spend big bucks on exhausts, wheels etc ..yet skimp on the most important purchase which protects our engine and trans ...don't be a cheap skate when its time to change the dino fuel

todays the first day of the rest of your life.
so live everyday to the fullest cuz u may not live your full life
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
joejitsu is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 22 (permalink) Old 05-27-2013, 03:39 AM
Ditchard the High Maintenance Squirrel
 
TOEJAM's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Tennessee/Brazil
Motorcycle: '06 R1 Raven; '08 Triumph Sprint ST; '09 Triumph 675; '10 Yamaha R6; '13 Aprilia RSV4 APRC; '14 Honda Grom; '15 Panigale 1299S
Posts: 60,366
Re: best oil iv used

Umm, wow.

If the oil was milky after 500km, the problem wasn't the oil.

And FTW - Motul is some of the best oil you can buy, which is why it is used by many (and likely the majority) of race teams, on every level, worldwide.

I suggest doing a little research. Nobody is "skimping out" by putting Motul (or even the others you mentioned) in their bike.
TOEJAM is offline  
post #3 of 22 (permalink) Old 05-27-2013, 06:57 PM
SVS
Bearded Viking Admin...
 
SVS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Ossum, Texas
Motorcycle: '08 KTM SuperDuke R, '99 SV650S, '84 XL600R
Posts: 131,126
Re: best oil iv used

Quote:
Originally Posted by TOEJAM View Post
I suggest doing a little research. Nobody is "skimping out" by putting Motul (or even the others you mentioned) in their bike.
Yes - and stay away from that one "research paper" that says "Amsoil" on the fucking cover - the one that all the Amsoil fanboys use as "documentation".

Thing is, Amsoil is the Tupperware of oils. It's distributed through multi-level marketing (MLM), just like Tupperware, Amway, Nerium, Avon, etc., etc.

That means that everybody and their mothers are "dealers", hyping the everliving fuck out of it to make some of the money they had to spend on the start package back.

Bottom line is, it's no better or worse than other good brand name oils, it's just hyped a whole lot more - and you can get other brands that are just as good for less.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Rest in Peace, Grizz and Robs - miss you my Friends.

Bike Promotion Track Instructor
SVS is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #4 of 22 (permalink) Old 05-28-2013, 05:36 PM
Amateur
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Canada
Motorcycle: gsxr k8 1000
Posts: 1,213
Re: best oil iv used

Quote:
Originally Posted by SVS View Post
Yes - and stay away from that one "research paper" that says "Amsoil" on the fucking cover - the one that all the Amsoil fanboys use as "documentation".

Thing is, Amsoil is the Tupperware of oils. It's distributed through multi-level marketing (MLM), just like Tupperware, Amway, Nerium, Avon, etc., etc.

That means that everybody and their mothers are "dealers", hyping the everliving fuck out of it to make some of the money they had to spend on the start package back.
Amen bro, truer words have never bean spoken, you are wize beyond yer years..
john kinzell is offline  
post #5 of 22 (permalink) Old 05-29-2013, 12:01 AM
Amateur
 
gsxr_45's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: N. Vancouver
Motorcycle: K5 K1 / HRC RS250R GP/ APE RSZ / 02 954 / 05 Husky 450 TC /
Posts: 462
Re: best oil iv used

I use Mobil 1 without additives goes on sale for 8.63 liter awesome.
gsxr_45 is offline  
post #6 of 22 (permalink) Old 06-11-2013, 06:18 PM
Biased Multi Level Marketing Dealer - take into consideration before taking advice.
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 382
Re: best oil iv used

Quote:
Originally Posted by SVS View Post
Yes - and stay away from that one "research paper" that says "Amsoil" on the fucking cover - the one that all the Amsoil fanboys use as "documentation".

Thing is, Amsoil is the Tupperware of oils. It's distributed through multi-level marketing (MLM), just like Tupperware, Amway, Nerium, Avon, etc., etc.

That means that everybody and their mothers are "dealers", hyping the everliving fuck out of it to make some of the money they had to spend on the start package back.

Bottom line is, it's no better or worse than other good brand name oils, it's just hyped a whole lot more - and you can get other brands that are just as good for less.
Quote:
Originally Posted by john kinzell View Post
Amen bro, truer words have never bean spoken, you are wize beyond yer years..

Really now..... What are we willing to put up... I have been in business Since 1972. Built, Owned, Operated and sold 3 shops, Managed several others and was a Certified Tech.

The tests, in the aformentioned White Paper, were done by several of the Top Testing Facilities in the US which all have Military and various Government contracts and could not afford to show any bias or false test results.

The tests are not performed by someone who's closest technological experience is changing their oil or talking to the "mechanic" that knows next to nothing about oil.

Sportrider did some testing a while back while trying to disprove AMSOIL and wound up saying "AMSOIL performed as stated".. Gotta hurt....!

Bob
Rotella Rocks!! is offline  
post #7 of 22 (permalink) Old 06-12-2013, 09:35 PM
Squid
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Posts: 7
Re: best oil iv used

Being around engine's my whole life i have noticed a few things one of these are that one of the touchiest subjects is what oil to use . i have been around not only motorcycle engines i have a few turboed and tuned cars to muscle cars everyone has an expert opinion on which oil is better for a different reason. You should never not buy an oil because of how much it cost and you shouldn't cheap out on good oil. All oil is very close in my opion and that is all this guy was trying to put out there was his experience and his "opinion". Use what oil you are comfortable and just make sure you change it often you will be good to go.



but thats just my .02$
deanmckenze is offline  
post #8 of 22 (permalink) Old 06-13-2013, 08:34 AM
SVS
Bearded Viking Admin...
 
SVS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Ossum, Texas
Motorcycle: '08 KTM SuperDuke R, '99 SV650S, '84 XL600R
Posts: 131,126
Re: best oil iv used

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amsoil Dealer Group View Post
Really now..... What are we willing to put up... I have been in business Since 1972. Built, Owned, Operated and sold 3 shops, Managed several others and was a Certified Tech.

The tests, in the aformentioned White Paper, were done by several of the Top Testing Facilities in the US which all have Military and various Government contracts and could not afford to show any bias or false test results.

The tests are not performed by someone who's closest technological experience is changing their oil or talking to the "mechanic" that knows next to nothing about oil.
I would like to see a link to a research paper that shows that Amsoil is significantly better than other name brand oils - that is not sponsored by Amsoil.

Quote:
Sportrider did some testing a while back while trying to disprove AMSOIL and wound up saying "AMSOIL performed as stated".. Gotta hurt....!
But did it say that the other brands didn't?

Before you get all defensive again, take note that I didn't say that Amsoil is bad oil - just that it isn't any better than the other large brands.
SVS is offline  
post #9 of 22 (permalink) Old 06-17-2013, 02:40 PM
SVS
Bearded Viking Admin...
 
SVS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Ossum, Texas
Motorcycle: '08 KTM SuperDuke R, '99 SV650S, '84 XL600R
Posts: 131,126
Re: best oil iv used

So, Mr. Amsoil... I see you posting elsewhere in this subforum, defending your MLM products - yet I've not seen you post links to any independent studies (read: not sponsored by Amsoil or any other manufacturer) that shows Amsoil to be better than all other brands like you and the other Pyramid Schemers claim. All I see is more MLM hype
SVS is offline  
post #10 of 22 (permalink) Old 06-17-2013, 02:52 PM
Chubby Chaser
 
SPL170db's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: North Jersey
Motorcycle: 2005 GSXR-1000 (track), 2006 GSXR-600 (track/race)
Posts: 57,792
Re: best oil iv used

Quote:
Originally Posted by SVS View Post
So, Mr. Amsoil... I see you posting elsewhere in this subforum, defending your MLM products - yet I've not seen you post links to any independent studies (read: not sponsored by Amsoil or any other manufacturer) that shows Amsoil to be better than all other brands like you and the other Pyramid Schemers claim. All I see is more MLM hype


hint: it's because they do not exist
SPL170db is offline  
post #11 of 22 (permalink) Old 06-17-2013, 02:56 PM
SVS
Bearded Viking Admin...
 
SVS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Ossum, Texas
Motorcycle: '08 KTM SuperDuke R, '99 SV650S, '84 XL600R
Posts: 131,126
Re: best oil iv used

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPL170db View Post
hint: it's because they do not exist
Spoiler alert!!!
SVS is offline  
post #12 of 22 (permalink) Old 06-17-2013, 05:15 PM
Biased Multi Level Marketing Dealer - take into consideration before taking advice.
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 382
Re: best oil iv used

Oh please, tell us with your unlimited knowledge, just what the differences in structure is between an MLM and a Major Corporation such as ATT are. My businesses are run as conventional business models so all your BS about MLM does not apply here anyway. Not that you know the difference to begin with.

As for the Test Reports.... Again.... More of your lack of knowledge... The Tests were performed by several of the Top Testing Facilities in the US which all have Defese Dept, Government and extremely large commercial clients, so could not afford even the hint of inpropriety or bias.

I guess the tests that SportRider did are not goodenough for you either.... Their statement.. "AMSOIL performed as stated" WOW... A National publication...

Now go cry to to someone here that I talked bad to you...
Rotella Rocks!! is offline  
post #13 of 22 (permalink) Old 06-17-2013, 05:38 PM
Chubby Chaser
 
SPL170db's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: North Jersey
Motorcycle: 2005 GSXR-1000 (track), 2006 GSXR-600 (track/race)
Posts: 57,792
Re: best oil iv used

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amsoil Dealer Group View Post

I guess the tests that SportRider did are not goodenough for you either.... Their statement.. "AMSOIL performed as stated" WOW... A National publication.....

You don't seem to be able to read very well.


Quote:
Originally Posted by SVS
I would like to see a link to a research paper that shows that Amsoil is significantly better than other name brand oils

So quoting from that test that you are touting, does this mean that Amsoil does not protect as well, or at least any better, than cheapo Castrol GTX?

http://www.sportrider.com/tech/146_0310_oil/

Four-Ball Wear Test

This test is used to determine the wear properties of engine oil in sliding contact (such as a piston sliding against a cylinder wall). Three half-inch-diameter ball bearings are placed in a triangular fixture, with a fourth half-inch ball in the center (in contact with the other three) held in place with a clamp. The balls are then immersed in the test lubricant while the top ball is spun at 1800 rpm for a period of one hour with a prescribed load of 40 kg (88 lbs.) and a constant temperature of 75 C (161 F). The "wear scar" on the three lower ball bearings is then carefully measured (in millimeters) using a microscope and averaged. The smaller the wear scar, the better the protection.



"I never drive faster than I can see...besides that it's all in the reflexes."
-Jack Burton

CCS AM #478
SPL170db is offline  
post #14 of 22 (permalink) Old 06-17-2013, 06:18 PM
Biased Multi Level Marketing Dealer - take into consideration before taking advice.
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 382
Re: best oil iv used

I read very well.... I NEVER said and, neither has AMSOIL EVER said, they did everything better than every other oil. Even the White Paper shows AMSOIL not outperforming in some tests which is why a Golf Score is used.

But, now that you bring the 4 Ball test.... Why don't you post the difference between 0.36 MM and 0.37 MM....

While you are at it... Why don't you also post what the Mag said about the difference between 0.36MM and 0.37MM...

I love oil geniuses that come up with half of the story... Usually, it is like the people that read the oil specs in the owners manual and only pick out the part that they want instead of looking at the whole spec.

C'mon.. you can do better to attempt to discredit me or AMSOIL, can't you.

I built, owned, operated and sold 3 shops, managed several others and was a Certified Tech...I take continuing education in oil and filtration throught the year from companies other than ANSOIL.. What have you done besides change oil?

BTW.... AMSOIL has upraded its formulation over 4 times since that article and 3 times since AMSOILS White Paper.
Rotella Rocks!! is offline  
post #15 of 22 (permalink) Old 06-17-2013, 06:38 PM
Chubby Chaser
 
SPL170db's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: North Jersey
Motorcycle: 2005 GSXR-1000 (track), 2006 GSXR-600 (track/race)
Posts: 57,792
Re: best oil iv used

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amsoil Dealer Group View Post
I read very well.... I NEVER said and, neither has AMSOIL EVER said, they did everything better than every other oil. Even the White Paper shows AMSOIL not outperforming in some tests which is why a Golf Score is used.
So what exactly are you saying then? Amsoil is not better, but its better?



Quote:
But, now that you bring the 4 Ball test.... Why don't you post the difference between 0.36 MM and 0.37 MM....

While you are at it... Why don't you also post what the Mag said about the difference between 0.36MM and 0.37MM...
Right, its minuscule. That's the point. So why pay more for Amsoil's higher price tag if it provides the same level of protection as an oil that costs ~1/2 it's price?


Quote:
I love oil geniuses that come up with half of the story... Usually, it is like the people that read the oil specs in the owners manual and only pick out the part that they want instead of looking at the whole spec.

C'mon.. you can do better to attempt to discredit me or AMSOIL, can't you.
That's funny man, I'm taking an excerpt from an article that YOU referenced. You're not making any sense again. I'm not putting that there to say you're oil is crap or as you say "discredit" the product, I'm putting that there to say that it provides apparently the same level of protection (which was deemed to be adequate by the testers) as oil that is much less expensive. So again, from a logic standpoint, what am I paying more money for?


Quote:
I built, owned, operated and sold 3 shops, managed several others and was a Certified Tech...I take continuing education in oil and filtration throught the year from companies other than ANSOIL.. What have you done besides change oil?
That's great.....what does any of that have to do with anything here. You don't formulate Amsoil, you just sell it right? Am I paying more for your education and experience?


Quote:
BTW.... AMSOIL has upraded its formulation over 4 times since that article and 3 times since AMSOILS White Paper.
Though still not worth paying the higher price tag I'm guessing?

"I never drive faster than I can see...besides that it's all in the reflexes."
-Jack Burton

CCS AM #478
SPL170db is offline  
post #16 of 22 (permalink) Old 06-17-2013, 06:47 PM
Biased Multi Level Marketing Dealer - take into consideration before taking advice.
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 382
Re: best oil iv used

This is getting tiring... No one is selling AMSOIL solely on one test but, you are trying to build a case on one test... Go find the White Paper, ....I am not going to look for the link for you ... See all the tests... READ... ASTM tests were primarily used as they can be duplicated by anyone, even you...

AMSOIL costs no more per mile to run than Rotella...
Rotella Rocks!! is offline  
post #17 of 22 (permalink) Old 06-17-2013, 06:55 PM
Chubby Chaser
 
SPL170db's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: North Jersey
Motorcycle: 2005 GSXR-1000 (track), 2006 GSXR-600 (track/race)
Posts: 57,792
Re: best oil iv used

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amsoil Dealer Group View Post
I guess the tests that SportRider did are not good enough for you either....
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amsoil Dealer Group
No one is selling AMSOIL solely on one test but, you are trying to build a case on one test...
No.....but it certainly was sounding like you were not too long ago.


Quote:
Originally Posted by Amsoil Dealer Group
Go find the White Paper, ....I am not going to look for the link for you ... See all the tests... READ... ASTM tests were primarily used as they can be duplicated by anyone, even you...
You know, I work in sales too......and you're not a very good sales person.


Quote:
Originally Posted by Amsoil Dealer Group
AMSOIL costs no more per mile to run than Rotella...
In other words you are saying you have to leave the oil in there for longer intervals and change it less frequently in order for it to be cost effective. Yeah, no thanks, many of us that track and race our engines aren't interested in leaving the oil in there for several thousand miles for it to be cost effective.


Quote:
Originally Posted by Amsoil Dealer Group View Post
This is getting tiring...
At least we can agree on something


Done here, although I will say this.....and SVS maybe you can help me on this, should he be allowed to do all this quasi-product pushing/advertisement whilst not being a site supporter?

"I never drive faster than I can see...besides that it's all in the reflexes."
-Jack Burton

CCS AM #478
SPL170db is offline  
post #18 of 22 (permalink) Old 06-17-2013, 07:13 PM
Biased Multi Level Marketing Dealer - take into consideration before taking advice.
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 382
Re: best oil iv used

You don't see me offering or asking anyone to buy AMSOIL.. I am offering information. Maybe you should be cut for selling Rotella.

I do however, sell AMSOIL to Podium Teams. I am not sure if there are any Podium Teams running Rotella. Maybe weekenders, but not actual Race Teams...

I don't give a crap about being a "salesman".. I've taken all the sales classes... you can stick them where the sun don't shine... I have been a "salesman" for everything from small hand tools to Semi's to Million dollar boats and did quite well. Proved to myself I could do it and beat the pants off of so-called "salesmen" and then went on to something else...
Rotella Rocks!! is offline  
post #19 of 22 (permalink) Old 06-17-2013, 07:14 PM
SVS
Bearded Viking Admin...
 
SVS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Ossum, Texas
Motorcycle: '08 KTM SuperDuke R, '99 SV650S, '84 XL600R
Posts: 131,126
Re: best oil iv used

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amsoil Dealer Group View Post
Oh please, tell us with your unlimited knowledge, just what the differences in structure is between an MLM and a Major Corporation such as ATT are. My businesses are run as conventional business models so all your BS about MLM does not apply here anyway. Not that you know the difference to begin with.
You drank the Koolaid I see - yes, Amsoil is an MLM business, no matter how YOU run your part of it. And yes, I do know the difference. Amsoil, Amway, Avon, Tupperware, Nerium - same thing, different products.

Quote:
As for the Test Reports.... Again.... More of your lack of knowledge... The Tests were performed by several of the Top Testing Facilities in the US which all have Defese Dept, Government and extremely large commercial clients, so could not afford even the hint of inpropriety or bias.

I guess the tests that SportRider did are not goodenough for you either.... Their statement.. "AMSOIL performed as stated" WOW... A National publication...
No - no matter which laboratory does the study, if a specific manufacturer pays for it, it's not independent.

Yes, SportRider said that it performed as stated - but not that other brands did not nor that it was better than those brands!

Still you can't show me a single study not paid by Amsoil that says that it's better than every other big brand name as you claim it is.

Quote:
Now go cry to to someone here that I talked bad to you...
Showing professionalism there... Consider this your only warning, you are not a sponsor or vendor (as you need to be to peddle your products), you are not even a Premium Member. Keep it up and you are out for good, go sell "opportunities" on other sites.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Rest in Peace, Grizz and Robs - miss you my Friends.

Bike Promotion Track Instructor
SVS is offline  
post #20 of 22 (permalink) Old 06-17-2013, 07:52 PM
Guest
 
oldgixxer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2001
Location: In the garage, smoking one of Anthony D's cigars...
Motorcycle: None, gave them all to Anthony D...
Posts: 24,541
Re: best oil iv used

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amsoil Dealer Group View Post
I have been a "salesman" for everything from small hand tools to Semi's to Million dollar boats and did quite well. Proved to myself I could do it and beat the pants off of so-called "salesmen" and then went on to something else...
That right there paints a very clear picture about you,in my eyes at least.
oldgixxer is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in










Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome