shift drum removal: need someone with ACTUAL knowledge - Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 05-10-2010, 09:23 PM Thread Starter
Squid

Motorcycle: 01 750
shift drum removal: need someone with ACTUAL knowledge

i have an 01 750 and the allen bolt that holds the star cam/gear/whatever onto the shift drum was sheared off. i need to know if there are any tricks to taking the shift drum out, i need to determine if i need to replace it or drill/tap it for a new bolt.

i am hoping i am not the only one in the world that this has happened to

http://img685.imageshack.us/img685/1593/img00050h.jpg

http://img88.imageshack.us/img88/4354/img00051g.jpg
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 05-18-2010, 07:49 AM
Squid

Motorcycle: K1 GSX-R 750 w/1000 engine
Exclamation Re: shift drum removal: need someone with ACTUAL knowledge

never heard of that before but i can believe it. it will be difficult more than likely to get the bolt out dependin on the grade of medal bolt is made out of. only way to get it out is to drill it out. u can try if there is one small enough using a small drill bit and using a small bolt extractor to try and remove the bolt if ur luckly broken part of bolt wont be tight inside the drum and just come right out. if the bolt is stuck and u cant get loose than it will have to be drilled out completely and re tapped . be care full not to snap the extractor they break easy so if it doesnt budge then dont press ur luck because u cant drill through the exractor its carbide only way then would be to grind it out. oreilly auto parts have them. if u cant get the bolt out then u prob will have to replace the drum. unfortunately u cant just remove the drum because the shift forks wont let it come out while in the tranny. u will from that point have to drop engine and split very bottom case which the drum then will come out. any question feel free to message me later
Stevo
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 05-18-2010, 07:52 AM
Not the powers that be, not even close.

Motorcycle: 600k2
Re: shift drum removal: need someone with ACTUAL knowledge

https://www.gixxer.com/forums/showthr...hlight=shifter

not the first time. get a new bolt and shift drum from suzuki. the shift drum comes out pretty easily. you will have to remove a few philips head screws and the shift forks and shafts they ride on. take a GOOD look at the shift forks wile they are out. 2nd gear is a popular problem and i could imagine your trans was not shifting properly with the bolt backed out or sheared off. i happen to have another shift drum and bolt in my garage.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 05-19-2010, 09:25 AM Thread Starter
Squid

Motorcycle: 01 750
Re: shift drum removal: need someone with ACTUAL knowledge

yeh, the retainer bolt had just backed out, so no drilling and tapping needed, putting it together today hopefully
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode