Cross threaded my oil filter - HELP - Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-05-2010, 02:21 AM Thread Starter
Track Day Winner

Motorcycle: KTM 1290 SDR Special Edition
Cross threaded my oil filter - HELP

Folks,

I'm dying here! I've cross threaded the oil filter on ym K6 1000, is it [email protected]*ked?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-05-2010, 06:12 AM
Lifetime Premium

Motorcycle: 2006 GSXR 600 Racebike
Re: Cross threaded my oil filter - HELP

the filter? Yes. Get a new one. I doubt the bike is fucked though. The threads on the bike are much harder than the threads on the filter. CHeck the threads over very closely to be sure they are not damaged first though. If they are, the filter mount should be replaceable.

post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-05-2010, 08:50 AM Thread Starter
Track Day Winner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moto_Joe View Post
the filter? Yes. Get a new one. I doubt the bike is fucked though. The threads on the bike are much harder than the threads on the filter. CHeck the threads over very closely to be sure they are not damaged first though. If they are, the filter mount should be replaceable.
OK, I'll take the filter off and check the threads on the mount, then replace the filter. I'm pretty sure the mount doesn't come off, it looks like its cast as part of the bottom of the engine. It's weird though, how come it span up the mount with no resistance but still have crossed the threads. When viewed from the side I can see the gap between the filter housing and the block is bigger on the top (about 3-4mm) but at the bottom it's only about 1-2mm. You can actually see that the filter is sitting crooked. This bike is new to me but I've changed oil filters maybe 20 times before on my old bike (600 SRAD). It definitely didn't 'feel' crossed when I was putting it on.
Thanks for the advice, much appreciated. I'll go at it over the weekend and post up how I got on.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-05-2010, 08:51 AM
Lifetime Premium

Motorcycle: 2006 GSXR 600 Racebike

Unlikely, but possible that the filter was flawed. but you should have felt it wobbling in your hands as you threaded it on.

The mount IS replaceable I am pretty sure. Might actually ahve to disassemble the motor to do it, but I am pretty sure it can be.

post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-05-2010, 08:55 AM
Not the powers that be, not even close.

Motorcycle: 600k2

the filter it self may be bad.

one time i bought an oil filter from advance auto parts for my truck, and i did not realize that the filter inside the box had been damaged/dropped. I spun the filter on as normal and filled the engine with oil. I started the engine and oil was pissing out all over the front of the truck from the filter.

Looking at the top of the filter, I found that the top of the filter and threads were on an angle, like the filter was dropped at one time. So the filter spun on fine but the oil filter seal did not sit flush against the oil cooler.
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-05-2010, 08:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moto_Joe View Post
Unlikely, but possible that the filter was flawed. but you should have felt it wobbling in your hands as you threaded it on.

The mount IS replaceable I am pretty sure. Might actually ahve to disassemble the motor to do it, but I am pretty sure it can be.
beat me to it. i experienced this myself before.
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-05-2010, 08:59 AM

#9 is the oil filter, this is on a 2000 gsxr600 SRAD...what is your bike again?

#3 looks like the oil filter threads

post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-05-2010, 09:22 AM Thread Starter
Track Day Winner

Quote:
Originally Posted by 600k2 View Post
#9 is the oil filter, this is on a 2000 gsxr600 SRAD...what is your bike again?

#3 looks like the oil filter threads

My old bike was the 600 SRAD (2000 Y model)

The 'new to me' bike is a K6 1000.

There was no service history with it so the first thing I did was change the plugs, air filter, oil & oil filter. Mileage is only 4k so I'm gonna cry like a baby if I can't get it sorted. I'm not a mechanical moron (or at least I didn't think I was) so this is really really pissing me off. Thanks again folks for the replies, I'll be back online on Monday with a full report, expect profanity if things don't go well.
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-08-2010, 02:24 AM Thread Starter
Track Day Winner

Quote:
Originally Posted by 600k2 View Post
the filter it self may be bad.

one time i bought an oil filter from advance auto parts for my truck, and i did not realize that the filter inside the box had been damaged/dropped. I spun the filter on as normal and filled the engine with oil. I started the engine and oil was pissing out all over the front of the truck from the filter.

Looking at the top of the filter, I found that the top of the filter and threads were on an angle, like the filter was dropped at one time. So the filter spun on fine but the oil filter seal did not sit flush against the oil cooler.
CORRECT!!!
At the weekend I took the filter off and sure enough it was wobbling as it unscrewed - not a huge amount but now that I was looking for it I noticed it. Spun on the new filter and it was perfect. The middle of the filter isn't a perfect circle either. It must of been dropped in transit. I feel like I just dodged a bullet.

Folks thanks a million for the quick replies and helping me not freak out too much.
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-08-2010, 06:18 AM

ALWAYS closely inspect a new oil filter before buying it
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode