Clutch won't disengage on Katana - Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-22-2009, 01:59 AM Thread Starter
Track Day Winner

Motorcycle: 1989 GSX600F Katana
Question Clutch won't disengage on Katana

Ok, so I just bought an '89 GSX600F Katana. I know its not a GSXR, but I believe they use the same clutch as the GSXR 750 of the same year. I've been riding it around for a few days. Last night I was going to take it for a ride, and it wouldn't start. So, I started to push it out of the garage (in gear, with the clutch lever pulled in) and it wouldn't move, so I put it on the center stand and took a look.

After reading several chapters of my repair manual, and doing several hours of adjusting the clutch cable (from the lever, to the adjuster above the clutch cover, to the rod adjuster) I have gotten nowhere. I have adjusted the cable to the correct amount, I've gotten it too loose, and too tight, and none of these worked.

Does anyone have any idea what I should do next?

Also, I took off the cover, to get a better look at the pushrod, should I be able to push it in and disengage the clutch with my hand? Or should the springs be too strong?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-22-2009, 08:44 AM
Amateur

Motorcycle: 2003 GSXR 750
Re: Clutch won't disengage on Katana

No. The springs are way too strong to do it by hand. The force at the clutch lever is multiplied many many times by the lever and the arm inside the sprocket cover.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-22-2009, 01:15 PM Thread Starter
Track Day Winner

Thanks, that's what I was thinking, good to hear it from someone else though. Any idea what I should do about the cable then? Is it just too badly stretched? Should I just get a new one and install it?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-22-2009, 01:36 PM
Amateur

When a clutch cable becomes too stretched, there's usally no more adjustment left at the lever or the cover.

*Trace the entire length of the cable. Look for frayed cable housing, exposed cable.
*Detach sprocket cover and visually verify the lever pull results in the movement of the arm. Verify the arm moves out from the inter surface of the cover. There's a cam-type mechanism that translates the torque of the arm to axial movement, and that could be worn out.
*Inspect the barrels at both ends of the cable to insure there is no fraying or other damge.
*drain oil, remove clutch cover and inspect. Order new gasket before disassembly.

Good luck.

The Tracktard formerly known as "Trumpet Bum"
Charging system fault finding chart -
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My CCT:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Shifting issues thread -

Last edited by F. Richard Head; 06-22-2009 at 01:40 PM.
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-29-2009, 04:52 PM Thread Starter
Track Day Winner

Ok, I checked the whole cable. It turns out I was wrong, the cable seems to be fine (It moves the mechanism that moves the pushrod). Also, I unscrewed the engine oil cap, and watched it move as I pulled the lever.

So I disassembled the clutch, and cleaned each and every clutch plate (I used kerosene to clean them and compressed air to dry them). Then I reassembled the clutch. It still doesn't work.

I think the problem is that the clutch plates are sticking.

Is there anything else I can do? Or do I have to order new clutch plates? If so, does anyone know of any good stores/brands to go with?
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-30-2009, 02:06 PM Thread Starter
Track Day Winner

Anybody have any ideas?
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-02-2009, 12:15 AM Thread Starter
Track Day Winner

Does anybody have any advice for me?
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-02-2009, 07:54 AM
Amateur

Sorry, I'm out of ideas.
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-03-2009, 01:18 AM Thread Starter
Track Day Winner

Well, thats ok, does anyone know of a reputable place to get clutch plates. And what a reasonable price is. I've found THESE Does anyone know if they're a good deal and company? (the URL in case the link doesn't work is http://www.motorcycle-superstore.com...600-Parts.aspx)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode