K1 transmission clearance? - Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-30-2019, 01:25 PM Thread Starter
Squid

K1 transmission clearance?

Hello boys and girls, i'd like to share this with you and to make some light on the topic:
Since some time i think my GSXR 1000 K1 developed some clearance in the transmission, to be more precise i am suspicious about the springs beyond the clutch hub not being good.
I've been checking the clutch from another engine i have with way less kms than the one i'm riding on and the springs were dramatically loose in their seats!

Since some time will pass before i can open mine i wanted to ask if any of you guys ever had similar experiences
Did anyone ever had to replace clutch hub or springs? Can they create this type of problems?

In my case simptoms are harsh throttle response expecially in low gears and harder on sudden throttle openings, a noise when there is an inversion of torque (wheel dragging the engine - engine dragging the wheel) like some surface is smashing onto another one without anything smoothing out this transition moment.

I have a feeling that this problem slowly became more consistent during the last 6 months, i can smooth it out myself by being VERY gentle on throttle openings and clutching it out at slow speeds

bike has 68.000 km
hard street riding no tracks
yes throttle bodies (from K4) are aligned
yes i mapped on a dynojet PC III and i manage to make it better but not good
no nobody produce aftermarket replacement springs (it was quite tricky to take them out thou)

Thannnx
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-31-2019, 12:07 AM
You should listen to me. No, seriously, listen to me.

Motorcycle: Blue 2006 GSX-R1000
Re: K1 transmission clearance?

Check the clutch spring free height. The standard length is 77.77 mm with the limit being 73.9 mm. K5/K6 uses a much shorter spring, possibly to make room for the slipper mechanism. They're about $5 from Suzuki. The OEM spring washer is important to installing the springs at the right height.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-01-2019, 01:02 PM Thread Starter
Squid

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillV View Post
Check the clutch spring free height. The standard length is 77.77 mm with the limit being 73.9 mm. K5/K6 uses a much shorter spring, possibly to make room for the slipper mechanism. They're about $5 from Suzuki. The OEM spring washer is important to installing the springs at the right height.

I will surely check them but i think the damper springs in the back of the clutch basket are the cause of my problem, i never had a chance to see how a REALLY worn out set of springs can be felt on riding and i think this is it.. Also in the internet i couldn't find many infos. Will update asap
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-02-2019, 01:55 PM

Unless you're abusing the clutch, ex. drag racing with really hard launches, I'd expect the damper springs to last forever and am unaware of replacements or how to replace them. If yours have somehow gone bad, you'll probably have to replace the basket. Perhaps someone else here knows more about them. I'd expect the clutch plate slots in the basket to become grooved before the springs went bad.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-03-2019, 02:41 PM Thread Starter
Squid

Quote:
Unless you're abusing the clutch, ex. drag racing with really hard launches, I'd expect the damper springs to last forever and am unaware of replacements or how to replace them. If yours have somehow gone bad, you'll probably have to replace the basket. Perhaps someone else here knows more about them. I'd expect the clutch plate slots in the basket to become grooved before the springs went bad.
I am a professional mechanic it happened to me a few times to find loose damper springs in sportbikes and single cylinder dirt bikes expecially, but never the whole set. let's say half of them loose half holding good, so that's why i wonder about what happens when they ALL get loose.. replacement is possible, i ve done it by breaking the clutch basket rivets to free the springs retainer plate then weld it back with brand new springs in place. OEM spares does not exist. You can find some aftermarket and mount higher specs springs but of course they exist only for a few models, as far i know no damper springs for k1 gsxr 1000 so the answer is aftermarket basket
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-03-2019, 02:48 PM Thread Starter
Squid

Quote:
I'd expect the clutch plate slots in the basket to become grooved before the springs went bad.
And yes the cause of springs failure is often not the springs themselves but their slots becoming bigger and irregular eating out the clutch basket aluminum. You can expect it happening easier in engines with lot of toruqe..
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-03-2019, 07:01 PM

"so the answer is aftermarket basket"

Don't know if you want to spend this much but I see the K1 basket for $262 here. I'd hope that someone in Europe would have a similar price. Here's a whole used clutch assembly with the basket claimed to be in great shape for $175.

"i ve done it by breaking the clutch basket rivets to free the springs retainer plate then weld it back with brand new springs in place"

You're a braver man than me. I'd consider it if I had the rivets and a machine to set them. AFAIK the rivets attach the steel backing plate to the aluminum basket with the gear sitting in the space between them. Welding seems highly risky.
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-04-2019, 02:44 PM Thread Starter
Squid

Oh wow thanks for checking, actually $175 it's a fair price.. But if the replacement will be necessary i will also have a look in the aftermarket.

Ah you know those rivets are shaped in a weird way, and they are very thick. I guess they are pressed under several tons, from how they look i think motorcycle manufacturers produce them or they use non commercial rivets because i never saw them used elsewhere
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode