K5 stock exhaust vs Suzuki Yoshimura Tri Oval - Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com

1Likes
  • 1 Post By BillV

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-13-2019, 07:58 AM Thread Starter
Squid

K5 stock exhaust vs Suzuki Yoshimura Tri Oval

Just wanted to know if anyone has information about K5 stock exhaust compared to Suzuki Yoshimura Tri Oval slip on. I want to know what is the difference performance wise, power gain/loss, fuel efficiency if affected, would I need to refuel going from stock to yoshi. Any input much appreciated.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg n22h4whc.jpg (78.0 KB, 18 views)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-13-2019, 08:17 AM
Soberz again

Motorcycle: 2006 GSX-R1000
Garage
Re: K5 stock exhaust vs Suzuki Yoshimura Tri Oval

It will be different from bike to bike, depending upon location, altitude, dyno and other factors. I'd would install that slip on and go from there. Some bikes benefit from a remap after a slip on and many won't likely need it. I personally was not able to get away with NOT retuning my bike after I installed a slip on and air filter so I had to pick up a PC5 and take a trip to the dynoman. Very glad I did. You many have different results. In any event, that is a great looking exhaust.

I'd rather ride and control an Analog bike than ride and be controlled by a Digital one.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-13-2019, 10:46 AM
Likes Diiiiiiiiiiiiiiicks

Motorcycle: 2006 GSXR "250"
Garage

You're probably not going to gain any power at all, it'll be more for the sound.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-13-2019, 12:32 PM
You should listen to me. No, seriously, listen to me.

Motorcycle: Blue 2006 GSX-R1000

That looks like the 99000-79N12-021 catalyzed muffler. I can't tell from your pic but the label normally has "Catalyzed" between "SUZUKI" and "Tri-Oval". Other features are a permanently attached/welded on midpipe, an integral exhaust control valve, and a small water drain hole at the bottom of the front cap. The muffler was apparently included on the CRU models that were only sold in the UK in 2006, hence the catalyst which I think kept them Euro 3 compliant. They used the standard E2/E19 ECM. The muffler was well thought of but expensive. Claimed 6% more torque at low RPMs, probably due to the control valve. Search here for the PN and you'll find a bit more info/pics.

I don't recall ever seeing that muffler on a Yoshimura site, i.e. it may only have been available through Suzuki.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-17-2019, 09:34 AM
The Supermod that wants to see grandma's Snapper....

Motorcycle: WR250R

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillV View Post
That looks like the 99000-79N12-021 catalyzed muffler. I can't tell from your pic but the label normally has "Catalyzed" between "SUZUKI" and "Tri-Oval". Other features are a permanently attached/welded on midpipe, an integral exhaust control valve, and a small water drain hole at the bottom of the front cap. The muffler was apparently included on the CRU models that were only sold in the UK in 2006, hence the catalyst which I think kept them Euro 3 compliant. They used the standard E2/E19 ECM. The muffler was well thought of but expensive. Claimed 6% more torque at low RPMs, probably due to the control valve. Search here for the PN and you'll find a bit more info/pics.

I don't recall ever seeing that muffler on a Yoshimura site, i.e. it may only have been available through Suzuki.
Hmm, never knew that. It also looks shorter to me than the regular tri oval of that time. Unless a previous owner cut it??
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-17-2019, 10:33 AM
Lifetime Premium

Garage
That looks really nice and a little bit old school. Try it out!!
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-17-2019, 11:58 AM

It's not cut, which would probably be complicated with a catalyst inside. Definitely old school but still attractive. Beauty's in the eye of the beholder but I'm inclined to say that it looks slightly better than the TRC. I first found it in a K5 Suzuki accessories catalog. I suspect that its price kept it from being better known. Here it is installed:
http://oi64.tinypic.com/343g9de.jpg
It first came out as 99000-79N12-007 but I don't know what the difference is.

There's a K6 "Phantom Limited Edition" idling
It looks like a garden variety CRT model with this muffler so I don't know what's so special. He claims that the light grey is lighter and has more metallic but I don't see it. The rarer model is the CRU.
Ironhead401 likes this.
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-20-2019, 02:32 PM

I've snooped around and found that the 99000-79N12-007 had no catalyst and apparently was only sold in 2005 before being replaced by the catalysed 99000-79N12-021. They are visually very similar, so much so that Suzuki continued to use pictures of the 007 in catalogs listing the 021. Here's a picture of the 007:
http://oi44.tinypic.com/motjd.jpg

If you compare the label with that in the above #7 link, you'll see several differences in the text as well as the label's placement on the muffler shell. Based on that, I now believe that the OP's muffler is the 007.

The change appears to have been driven by the evolving European emissions regulations back then.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode