DIY servicing - Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com

1Likes
  • 1 Post By BillV

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 03-05-2019, 10:14 AM Thread Starter
Squid

Question DIY servicing

Right I think I will take a different route with this bike compared to letting the stelaership doing EVERYTHING.

So I am going to do an oil change around the 250-300 mile mark after riding it but not like I stole it but not nannying it either.
I have watched a few vids on YT and pretty confident that it will be easy. I have a Abba Skylift which will help a lot :-)

When it comes to the first service at 600 the stealership wants 180 for it but again I can get fully synthetic kits for around the 30-40 mark which includes the seal washer etc.
So with me doing this service what do I do with the service book as obviously I can't stamp it officially but will that affect the selling price later on?

The bigger services I will have to let the stealership do as I don't have the knowledge of kit to do them.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 03-05-2019, 11:45 AM
You should listen to me. No, seriously, listen to me.

Motorcycle: Blue 2006 GSX-R1000
Re: DIY servicing

What year?

The >>>REALLY IMPORTANT<<< thing is to not overtighten the plug when you reinstall it. See this for what can happen. There are several such threads here. Use a new crush washer every time (they look like copper but are actually steel). A torque wrench is highly advisable, particularly if you're new to such things. There's not much to changing the oil but get a service manual and look in the preventive maintenance section.

I got fed up with the craziness and switched to an aluminum plug and an elastomeric seal. Now I tighten it just a bit beyond hand tight. But I also use safety wire to make sure that it doesn't back out. There's a thread here about it but the pics don't display any more.

Don't know what the service book is about but keep a log of what you do, when you do it, current mileage, and save your receipts.

P.S. You may also be interested in changing the oil filter. Suzuki sells the 09915-40620 wrench for that. But it's nearly $25. The earlier 09915-40611 wrench is still available, works fine, and is half the price or less. The only filter that I would use other than the Suzuki part is the Mobil-1 M1MC-133 and there may be availability issues in the UK. I try to prefill the filter before installing (you'll only be able to get it about half full because of the installation angle), clean the sealing surface on the crankcase, and smear some oil on the rubber seal. Pay attention that you don't cross thread it.
JC 1000R likes this.

Last edited by BillV; 03-07-2019 at 03:59 PM. Reason: Added P.S.
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 03-06-2019, 05:31 AM Thread Starter
Squid

Re: DIY servicing

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillV View Post
What year?

The >>>REALLY IMPORTANT<<< thing is to not overtighten the plug when you reinstall it. See this for what can happen. There are several such threads here. Use a new crush washer every time (they look like copper but are actually steel). A torque wrench is highly advisable, particularly if you're new to such things. There's not much to changing the oil but get a service manual and look in the preventive maintenance section.

I got fed up with the craziness and switched to an aluminum plug and an elastomeric seal. Now I tighten it just a bit beyond hand tight. But I also use safety wire to make sure that it doesn't back out. There's a thread here about it but the pics don't display any more.

Don't know what the service book is about but keep a log of what you do, when you do it, current mileage, and save your receipts.
it's new 2019 :-) hopefully pick it up on Friday
Thanks for the info will do some more searching on here.
The service book as in stamps to show its been serviced. I will just sign it myself and like you say keep all the receipts and maybe pics/videos of the service when I do it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode