Possible Ballistic battery issue....Need Help - Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-22-2018, 06:02 PM Thread Starter
Track Day Winner

Possible Ballistic battery issue....Need Help

Hello everyone,

So I'm having an issue starting my 2007 Suzuki GSXR 1000 when the engine is at operating temp (170-180). For some reason when the bike is at 170-180 degrees I'll need to hit the start button 2 or 3 times for the bike to starts. Now when the bike is cold there's no issue it starts up on the first try. I checked the stator and rectifier per the manual and both items tested fine. So then I moved onto the Ballistic evo 2 12 cell battery. With the key off the battery tests at 13.4 volts and with the key on the volts drop to 13.1. On a cold motor the volts will drop to 10.4 when starting the bike. Now when the bike is at operating temp 170-180 and I go to start it the volts will drop to 8.2 to 7.8 volts. Now sometimes the bike will start and sometimes I'll have to hit the start button 2 or 3 times. I called Ballistics and they said its not the battery. They seem to think valves need adjustment. Bike has 8500 miles on it. Yoshimura race cams installed around 4000 miles ago and valves all adjusted at that time. I'm sending Ballistic the battery tomorrow for them to test it. The battery is rated at 360 BCA and I had a local Interstate Battery test it. They said battery is at 117/120 BCA. Ballistic thinks Interstate battery tested the battery wrong. So any assistance would be greatly appreciated ... Thanks for looking!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-22-2018, 11:06 PM
You should listen to me. No, seriously, listen to me.

Motorcycle: Blue 2006 GSX-R1000
Re: Possible Ballistic battery issue....Need Help

"drop to 10.4 when starting the bike"
I assume that this means while the starter was cranking.

What was the ambient temperature during this? Did you happen to measure the battery temp or do you have any indication of it? Are the key-off and key-on voltages the same for both the cold and hot starts? 8 volts is too low. If anything, I'd expect a low cranking voltage when the bike is cold. When you measure voltage, are you contacting the battery terminals, the cables that attach to them, or somewhere else like the solenoid? Make sure that there are solid electrical connections everywhere from the battery to the starter and to the engine case. It would also help if you measured the voltage to the starter solenoid coil.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-23-2018, 04:19 AM
I know things... A lot of things.

Motorcycle: GSXR 750 K4

I'm not sure if I understand the OP correctly. Did the hot-starting problem exist with the OEM battery, prior to installing the Ballistic? Also, is the cranking speed audibly lower when cranking with a hot engine?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-23-2018, 06:22 AM Thread Starter
Track Day Winner

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillV View Post
"drop to 10.4 when starting the bike"
I assume that this means while the starter was cranking.

What was the ambient temperature during this? Did you happen to measure the battery temp or do you have any indication of it? Are the key-off and key-on voltages the same for both the cold and hot starts? 8 volts is too low. If anything, I'd expect a low cranking voltage when the bike is cold. When you measure voltage, are you contacting the battery terminals, the cables that attach to them, or somewhere else like the solenoid? Make sure that there are solid electrical connections everywhere from the battery to the starter and to the engine case. It would also help if you measured the voltage to the starter solenoid coil.

Yes the 10.4 amps was while the starter was cranking. Ambient temp was was around 65 degrees. Not sure about battery temp but the bike is stored inside a heated garage so if the temp is 65 I'd think the battery should be close to 60 give or take a few degrees. Yes the key on and off is the same voltage whether the engine is cold or hot. Yes when I measured the battery voltage I used the battery terminals not the battery cables. Connections are all solid. I will check the starter solenoid for voltage. Thanks for the advise
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-23-2018, 06:26 AM Thread Starter
Track Day Winner

Quote:
Originally Posted by dpapavas View Post
I'm not sure if I understand the OP correctly. Did the hot-starting problem exist with the OEM battery, prior to installing the Ballistic? Also, is the cranking speed audibly lower when cranking with a hot engine?

The Ballistic battery has been in the bike for 2 years. This issue has only been going on for the last couple of months. Yes starting the bike when the engine is hot the sound isn't the same. It's slower... less voltage I'm assuming
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-23-2018, 11:48 AM
I know things... A lot of things.

Motorcycle: GSXR 750 K4
Unless the battery is installed in such a way/location, that would significantly heat it up along with the bike, I can't see why it would be good when the bike is cold and bad when warm.

I'd be more inclined to ascribe the lower voltage while cranking when hot, to a higher resistance to the starter motor. (Since the motor sounds like it's turning slower, it's probably drawing less current, but multiplied with the larger resistance the voltage drop might still be higher).

Try inspecting the wiring between battery, starter relay and starter motor for loose or dirty connections and the like. Make sure to inspect the ground path too, if applicable.
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-23-2018, 01:14 PM
You should listen to me. No, seriously, listen to me.

Motorcycle: Blue 2006 GSX-R1000

You might also try measuring the voltage drop between the battery and the starter while cranking to see if it is unusual. The drop should be small, somewhere around .1 V.
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-23-2018, 04:00 PM Thread Starter
Track Day Winner

Thanks for the info... I’ll do those test once I get the battery back from Ballistic. I’m also waiting for my ECU. I sent it out to Guhl Motors to be flashed. I should have everything back by early next week. Thanks again!! I’ll let you know how I make out.
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-26-2018, 02:12 PM Thread Starter
Track Day Winner

Just got off the phone with Ballistic Battery.... My battery is junk! They are gonna warranty it. But the new battery won’t ship out til Nov. 15th. They are out of stock for the parts. That’s just my luck... lol... looks like I’ll be ordering a cheap battery on eBay just so I can test out the ecu flash by Guhl motors
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode