I'm A Very Thick Man In Need Of Help - Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com
 6Likes
  • 1 Post By Ironhead401
  • 1 Post By TC20F
  • 2 Post By TheGeek
  • 1 Post By Whippet
  • 1 Post By DemonRider

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-05-2018, 02:06 AM Thread Starter
!##NULL##!

I'm A Very Thick Man In Need Of Help

So I'm new to motorcycles in general. I used to ride a dirtbike as a kid with my dad but that was like 10 years ago I was 6. Now im looking to buy a Gixxer 1000. But my only concerns are my size and weight. I've looked this up but never found anything like me. I'm currently 6'4 360lbs. I'm not just fat in my stomach it's all around I played football so I guess you could say I'm a athletic lineman build 😂 aka just fat. But I was wondering if I would run into any problems.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-05-2018, 06:32 AM
Lifetime Premium

Motorcycle: K5 1000 & K1 750
Re: I'm A Very Thick Man In Need Of Help

Quote:
Originally Posted by TC20F View Post
So I'm new to motorcycles in general. I used to ride a dirtbike as a kid with my dad but that was like 10 years ago I was 6. Now im looking to buy a Gixxer 1000. But my only concerns are my size and weight. I've looked this up but never found anything like me. I'm currently 6'4 360lbs. I'm not just fat in my stomach it's all around I played football so I guess you could say I'm a athletic lineman build 😂 aka just fat. But I was wondering if I would run into any problems.
Your only concern should be the lack of riding skills and you are about to buy a 1000cc as first bike.

Take riding lessons and buy a starter bike.
post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-05-2018, 06:44 AM
Dreaming of buttsecks for years...

Motorcycle: Anniversary Edition 600 & 2018 Harley Street Glide
Garage

That and the fact that most sport bikes have a 400 pound weight limit.... Sorry, sportbikes probably just aren't for you.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-05-2018, 09:02 AM
The Supermod that wants to see grandma's Snapper....

Motorcycle: WR250R

Troll. Ignore it
8you4t likes this.
post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-05-2018, 09:11 AM
Amateur

Motorcycle: 2014 GSXR1000
Garage

I think I'd be more looking to a bigger more comfortable sports touring bike like a VFR800, Honda Goldwing etc. To ride a sports bike you need to be able to support your body with your core and not put your weight on the bars and the riding position leans you forward. I think you won't really find a GSXR comfortable and easy to handle.
post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-05-2018, 06:12 PM
Vegemite-eating Administrator...

Motorcycle: 2003 gsxr1000 ,2008 gsxr600 ,2002 gsxr750 ,2006 CBR1000RR ,2001 CBR1100xx ,2002 VTR1000f ,2002 SV650s

Quote:
Jenny Craig
post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-06-2018, 03:38 AM Thread Starter
!##NULL##!

Thank you for all the help and yes I do agree with most of this but I feel like theres no other bike really for me I know a few dual sports but they would all go to waste I feel.
post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-06-2018, 03:41 AM Thread Starter
!##NULL##!

Quote:
Originally Posted by -JK750- View Post
Quote:
Your only concern should be the lack of riding skills and you are about to buy a 1000cc as first bike. [IMG class=inlineimg]/forums/images/smilies/nono.gif[/IMG]

Take riding lessons and buy a starter bike.
I am going to take a msf course but I wanted a 1000cc bike for my first because I dont want to but a a small cc bike then learn to ride on that then have to go out and buy myself a whole new bike because of me out growing it you could say
post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-06-2018, 03:45 AM Thread Starter
!##NULL##!

Quote:
Originally Posted by springfall2008 View Post
I think I'd be more looking to a bigger more comfortable sports touring bike like a VFR800, Honda Goldwing etc. To ride a sports bike you need to be able to support your body with your core and not put your weight on the bars and the riding position leans you forward. I think you won't really find a GSXR comfortable and easy to handle.
I agree with the touring bike but I feel there not for me. And the uncomfortable position I'm fine with 100% because this bike will be a school, work, and a fun bike to just ride around on for 30 to an hour or longer just with breaks. But I feel like I could support myself using my core. I'm not weak at all. My core was the main part I worked on during football so I feel it might not be a problem but I'm not to sure I'll just have to test ride to find out. Thank you!
springfall2008 likes this.
post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-06-2018, 07:41 AM
Dreaming of buttsecks for years...

Motorcycle: Anniversary Edition 600 & 2018 Harley Street Glide
Garage

Quote:
I am going to take a msf course but I wanted a 1000cc bike for my first because I dont want to but a a small cc bike then learn to ride on that then have to go out and buy myself a whole new bike because of me out growing it you could say
See, that's just ignorance. It's a partially false assumption. The 1000cc will have more torque and you will notice that with your big ass on top of it. But outgrow a 600? Good luck. There are very few people that can actually use everything a 600cc has.

Let me give you $0.05 worth of free (and very good advise). You want something with some get up and go. You want something light and sporty. Honestly, what you want is a SV650 or GSX-S750 (or the GSX-S1000). The GSX-R is built for the racetrack. The GSX-S is built for the street. Riding position is a little more comfortable, and they make better use of the torque. Most insurance companies will be cheaper on a non R type model too. Too many people buy the GSX-R1000 for two reasons. #1 is for appearance. It's a sexy beast for sure. #2 is that they don't want other riders to look down their nose at the smaller displacement in the never ending dick measuring contest.

True story: I just sold my GSX-R1000 this spring. I had a 600 and bought the Million Edition 1000 in 2013. In 5 years, I put only 2500 miles on it. It just wasn't fun to ride on the street. I kept my 600 for the track and bought a Harley. With very little seat time on the Harley, I passed a guy on a sportbike on a pigtail freeway ramp. He was so but hurt over it, he cranked it up as soon as the road got straight. Purpose is far more important than style.... A lesson too many people fail to learn.
oldgixxer and Whippet like this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Never mistake education for intelligence.

"Don't go ninjain nobody that don't need ninjain" -
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #11 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-06-2018, 07:45 AM
Thatís Mister Chalet To You ....

I'm 16 and want to buy a 1000. Another thread: I'm 16 and want to buy a busa. "I'm a man" and "I'm 16" do not belong in the same sentence.

Troll.

I believe the "I'm 16" part. That's about it.
post #12 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-06-2018, 09:48 AM
Lifetime Premium

Motorcycle: 2007 GSXR 750, 2012 zx6r
Garage

Quote:
I was wondering if I would run into any problems.
You most certainly will run into some problems....first bike should be something you're willing to drop and possibly crash. You're not ready for a 1000cc sportbike man...take it from the experienced grown men/women that have been where you are. I've been riding for 4 years now and still know that I don't belong on a 1000...my first bike was a Suzuki Bandit 600 which I wound up crashing and shattering my left radius bc I was riding above my skill level. If I would have been on a much faster bike who knows what would have happened.

I would look around Craig's list, letgo, eBay, for something cheap (that you like) to learn on and then when you're ready sell it and upgrade. Take your time....rushing this can be painful and expensive.
MoThanYouKnow likes this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ruenin View Post
Sorry you're still having issues. Still, your bike remains one of the nicest looking ones I've ever seen.
post #13 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-06-2018, 11:07 AM
You should listen to me. No, seriously, listen to me.

Motorcycle: Blue 2006 GSX-R1000

There've been many threads here like this one, for example this. See Anthony D in #17. His "stick you in the ground like a golf tee" phrase appeared many times. The MSF course isn't nearly enough.
post #14 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-07-2018, 07:21 PM
Provisional Novice

I used to ride with a guy somewhere around the OP's build - definitely 300+ lbs, and he rode a Ducati 900 Monster. I was on my SV650S at the time and riding at the top of my game and I couldn't keep up with him in the twisties. Looked funny as hell - a 300+ lb blob on a skinny naked bike, but man that dude could ride . . . but maybe if I had a liter bike . . . I still wouldn't be able to keep up with him, lol!

If you do get a sportbike, you'll definitely need to beef up the suspension. Good luck whatever you decide, but at your age consider the advice here seriously. You probably don't want to hear it, but wisdom does truly come with age.
S1ON1000R likes this.
post #15 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-20-2018, 11:39 AM
Amateur

Motorcycle: 2014 GSXR1000
Garage

Quote:
I agree with the touring bike but I feel there not for me. And the uncomfortable position I'm fine with 100% because this bike will be a school, work, and a fun bike to just ride around on for 30 to an hour or longer just with breaks. But I feel like I could support myself using my core. I'm not weak at all. My core was the main part I worked on during football so I feel it might not be a problem but I'm not to sure I'll just have to test ride to find out. Thank you!
I normally say to people to try a few bikes at the dealer, but it seems they don't like to do that in the US.....
post #16 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-20-2018, 02:10 PM
!##NULL##!

Motorcycle: 2018 GsxR 1000R

Quote:
But I feel like I could support myself using my core. I'm not weak at all. My core was the main part I worked on during football so I feel it might not be a problem but I'm not to sure I'll just have to test ride to find out. Thank you!
It is your money, buy what you want, but be smart about it. You are going to need heavier fork springs (+20 %) and a rear shock spring that is at leas 20 percent stiffer than stock, and you will need to preload these springs. This is a reality for you no matter what bike you decide on. For someone with as little real world experience as you, wanting a larger bike, find something with traction control and ABS, and engine output controls. Ride for at least 18 months with the engine dialed back and the traction control dialed up. Small bikes with lots of weight on them are horrible slow and notoriously unreliable in the clutch and chain and transmission area. You will also have more problems with smaller tires.

Realize that you are in the most precarious of all positions. A big guy, little experience, who needs a big powerful bike. The laws of physics will show you ZERO mercy for any lack of discretion with the throttle, and will punish you brutally (up to and including taking your life) for any small error in judgement.
post #17 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-20-2018, 04:35 PM
Captain Obvious ... because obviously itís obvious.

Motorcycle: 2006 GSXR "250"
Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by S1ON1000R View Post
It is your money, buy what you want, but be smart about it. You are going to need heavier fork springs (+20 %) and a rear shock spring that is at leas 20 percent stiffer than stock, and you will need to preload these springs. This is a reality for you no matter what bike you decide on. For someone with as little real world experience as you, wanting a larger bike, find something with traction control and ABS, and engine output controls. Ride for at least 18 months with the engine dialed back and the traction control dialed up. Small bikes with lots of weight on them are horrible slow and notoriously unreliable in the clutch and chain and transmission area. You will also have more problems with smaller tires.

Realize that you are in the most precarious of all positions. A big guy, little experience, who needs a big powerful bike. The laws of physics will show you ZERO mercy for any lack of discretion with the throttle, and will punish you brutally (up to and including taking your life) for any small error in judgement.
Why do you keep bumping old threads, or threads with banned members?
post #18 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-20-2018, 10:16 PM
!##NULL##!

Motorcycle: 2018 GsxR 1000R

Quote:
Originally Posted by Just_Nick View Post
Why do you keep bumping old threads, or threads with banned members?
" Today, 11:39 AM
springfall2008 "

Why are you such a fool as to accuse me of bumping an old thread when SpringFall2008 bumped the thread 2.5 hours before I posted? Are you ingesting too much estrogen, or are you just a tard who can't read?

Last edited by S1ON1000R; 08-20-2018 at 10:24 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode