Smoke from intakes and Crazy Throttle - Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 05-11-2018, 08:22 PM Thread Starter
Track Day Winner

Smoke from intakes and Crazy Throttle

Hey guys, me again, this story seems to go on and on and never end... (GSXR1000 K1 that was sitting for 3 months)

I came home today and turned her on, after a warming period i started revving my bike (8-10k) and acted normally for about 10-15 minutes, then i revved again and she went crazy all by herself going all the way to redline and I just couldn’t stop the engine with the throttle, no matter what, she just kept rpm's at redline so I just had to turn off the key.
After about 1 minute I turned her on again “normally” but l felted like she was missing and jumpy (much more than before) so I turned off again and opened the air filter box, then opening the butterfly valves with the throttle, saw this smoke coming out all the 4 intakes, and also saw like 1/4 cup of water coming out the return tube of the coolant reservoir.

There is the video of the smoke coming out the intake...

There are some more videos of the bike running days before, she was kind of jumpy and irregular, but after today i'm more and more confused...

Aaaaany help would be appreciated!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 05-12-2018, 07:54 PM
You should listen to me. No, seriously, listen to me.

Motorcycle: Blue 2006 GSX-R1000
Re: Smoke from intakes and Crazy Throttle

What did the smoke smell like? Probably gas given your carbon fouled plugs problem. But it might also be oil or coolant.

I can't see how the bike would go to redline with a closed throttle. There's probably something wrong with the throttle cables or how they attach to the throttle tube that needs to be immediately fixed. That could easily kill you if it happened while you were riding.

It's hard to tell from a video but your bike sounds like it has two cylinders. Have you swapped in a Ducati or a TLR engine?
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 05-17-2018, 08:10 PM Thread Starter
Track Day Winner

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillV View Post
What did the smoke smell like? Probably gas given your carbon fouled plugs problem. But it might also be oil or coolant.

I can't see how the bike would go to redline with a closed throttle. There's probably something wrong with the throttle cables or how they attach to the throttle tube that needs to be immediately fixed. That could easily kill you if it happened while you were riding.

It's hard to tell from a video but your bike sounds like it has two cylinders. Have you swapped in a Ducati or a TLR engine?
Thanks for your time my friend! Smelled like Gas...
the weird thing about the throttle is that with the bike off i cant get it locked again... (and im obviously scared of riding or even turning on and revving)...

The engine is the original one with some modifications (crankshaft and camtrees yoshimura), but i agree with you, it sounds weird... and thats my main problem, i cant figure out why is that happening. I guess that happens when you buy a piece of machine like that "low cost".

(i couldn't answer sooner since i had the flu and i felt like crap!)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 05-18-2018, 04:13 AM
I know things... A lot of things.

Motorcycle: GSXR 750 K4

I wonder if the cam chain skipped a couple of teeth, when you revved the throttle. I can't explain smoke out of the intakes otherwise, barring valve failure, which doesn't seem to be the case. It might also explain your other problems. You should check the operation of the throttle linkage first though, as Bill suggested. You can see the pulley the throttle cables connect to, at the left side, between the frame and the tank, so you should be able to visually determine whether it's getting stuck or not.
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 05-19-2018, 08:55 PM
You should listen to me. No, seriously, listen to me.

Motorcycle: Blue 2006 GSX-R1000

Look for fraying of the cables where they come out of the sheaths at the throttle body. However I'm inclined to suspect the other end, i.e. at the hand grip. There are lots of possibilities there, including fraying, improper installation, and some sort of a foul-up associated with a quick throttle. One mod puts a wire tie over the hand grip pulley to increase its diameter and make it quicker. That could get messed up. You might as well disconnect both ends of both cables and check for smooth operation.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode