FI codes and fouled spark plugs - Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 25 (permalink) Old 05-08-2018, 10:37 AM Thread Starter
Track Day Winner

FI codes and fouled spark plugs

Hi guys,

I would like to know if the bike would show every FI code in case it had more than 1

In example, my gsxr1000 k1 (30k miles) does not have the SVTA, so its showing c29 FI code, BUT its also fouling the spark plugs really really fast, i mean 20 miles and completely black and fuel soaked plugs (not related to the secondary valve actuator removal since she was working fine before), so i suspect of some kind of fuel injection or air intake system malfunction, but as there is a previous failure code i was wondering if the thing would also show any other code...

Thanks in advance!!

P.S.: any idea about sparks being fouled would also be appreciated. (the injectors just came from being cleaned, and microfilters replaced, so i would guess they are working ok)

As an additional info, the bike was sitting for over 2 months on a garage without even a battery. And before my plugs were fouled, at about 8k rpm you could see some bluish smoke from the exhaust (not that much in my opinion, so i was thinking that it could be some seized ring from sitting)

I paid 1250$ for the bike heheh
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 25 (permalink) Old 05-08-2018, 08:31 PM
You should listen to me. No, seriously, listen to me.

Motorcycle: Blue 2006 GSX-R1000
Re: FI codes and fouled spark plugs

Yes, at least in K5. See this. K1 is probably the same.
post #3 of 25 (permalink) Old 05-08-2018, 10:57 PM
Hand-Eye Coordinator

Motorcycle: 2014 675R, 2019 Husky TE300i, 2014 Grom. Yes, Grom, fuck you, it's fun.

I'm not on the up-and-up WRT the tech in your machine, but black and greasy plugs, especially in a short time, indicate a rich condition.

Are you saying that you removed the secondary actuator, but maybe left the secondary butterflies in? If they remain closed, you are running rich AF.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 25 (permalink) Old 05-09-2018, 10:37 AM Thread Starter
Track Day Winner

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacBayne View Post
I'm not on the up-and-up WRT the tech in your machine, but black and greasy plugs, especially in a short time, indicate a rich condition.

Are you saying that you removed the secondary actuator, but maybe left the secondary butterflies in? If they remain closed, you are running rich AF.
Hey man, thanks for the answer!

The whole secondary butterfly valves system was removed, including the valves, and screws.

I'm pretty sure the bike is running rich, since you can also smell the unburnt gas from the exhaust... but the reason of it is still a puzzle that im trying to solve.
post #5 of 25 (permalink) Old 05-09-2018, 10:40 AM Thread Starter
Track Day Winner

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillV View Post
Yes, at least in K5. See this. K1 is probably the same.
uhmmm.. interesting, thank you bro. Then i "hope" that the only FI code i have is the one a was aware of due to svta system removal. Still idk why is this beast running that rich
post #6 of 25 (permalink) Old 05-09-2018, 11:51 AM Thread Starter
Track Day Winner

Here's the link for a video i made right before the bike died (due to fouled spark plugs, i hope) in case you wanna listen how the engine sounded at idle.

post #7 of 25 (permalink) Old 05-09-2018, 02:35 PM
Captain Obvious ... because obviously itís obvious.

Motorcycle: 2006 GSXR "250"
Garage

Your battery sounds extremely weak. Your battery needs to be checked, as does the charging system.
post #8 of 25 (permalink) Old 05-09-2018, 02:52 PM
Hand-Eye Coordinator

Motorcycle: 2014 675R, 2019 Husky TE300i, 2014 Grom. Yes, Grom, fuck you, it's fun.

Yeah, that's all battery...
post #9 of 25 (permalink) Old 05-09-2018, 03:51 PM Thread Starter
Track Day Winner

I already put that battery on an external charger to fully charge it before trying again, as soon as i plug it i will do the voltage test.

Do you guys have any idea to try about fouled spark plugs?

Thank you once again for all the help you guys are giving me!

Last edited by giorgiom92; 05-09-2018 at 04:23 PM. Reason: typing mistake
post #10 of 25 (permalink) Old 05-09-2018, 05:39 PM

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by giorgiom92 View Post
I already put that battery on an external charger to fully charge it before trying again, as soon as i plug it i will do the voltage test.

Do you guys have any idea to try about fouled spark plugs?

Thank you once again for all the help you guys are giving me!
If you have an obviously-weak battery, you need to first eliminate that as a culprit for your issues. Also, you can check if you have an overfull crankcase or fuel in the oil.
post #11 of 25 (permalink) Old 05-10-2018, 08:35 AM Thread Starter
Track Day Winner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Just_Nick View Post
If you have an obviously-weak battery, you need to first eliminate that as a culprit for your issues. Also, you can check if you have an overfull crankcase or fuel in the oil.

So guys, i have eliminated the battery as a culprit of the issues and this is the result...

I can still hear something (at least) weird in that engine sound, i tested the heaters and (my fingers say) n.1 was a bit colder than the other, being the n.4 the hottest of all 4.

Last edited by giorgiom92; 05-10-2018 at 08:41 AM. Reason: misspell
post #12 of 25 (permalink) Old 05-10-2018, 10:54 AM
I know things... A lot of things.

Motorcycle: GSXR 750 K4

You probably know it already, but the motor doesn't sound like it's running on all 4 cylinders. This is probably due to the fouled plugs, but did it sound the same when the plugs were fresh?
post #13 of 25 (permalink) Old 05-10-2018, 11:12 AM Thread Starter
Track Day Winner

Quote:
Originally Posted by dpapavas View Post
You probably know it already, but the motor doesn't sound like it's running on all 4 cylinders. This is probably due to the fouled plugs, but did it sound the same when the plugs were fresh?
Yes my friend, this bike was sitting for about 2 an a half months, the first thing i did was buying and installing ngk iridium spark plugs, was hard to make her turn on but with help of carburator cleaner it finally did, then my fingers said that the header of the cylinder n.1 was colder (not completely cold, but colder) than the n.3-4, nevertheless i ran the bike for about 20 miles and about 30-40 minutes at idle, then she went off and would not run again until i took the spark plugs off (fouled), cleaned and burned the side of the electrode with a torch to remove the excess of carbon and fuel, and reinstalled... and that's it, the videos were recorded right after that process.
post #14 of 25 (permalink) Old 05-10-2018, 02:51 PM

Garage

It could be that one of the plugs is bad, or you chose the wrong spark plugs.

Also, how did you check the battery? What was the voltage when the bike wasn't running, when it was idling, and at 5,000 RPM?
post #15 of 25 (permalink) Old 05-10-2018, 08:41 PM Thread Starter
Track Day Winner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Just_Nick View Post
It could be that one of the plugs is bad, or you chose the wrong spark plugs.

Also, how did you check the battery? What was the voltage when the bike wasn't running, when it was idling, and at 5,000 RPM?

About the wrong spark plugs I bought ngk iridium Spark plugs (CR9EIX n.3521).

I checked the voltage with switch off: 12.8v ignition being pressed: 10.5v, idling: 13.8v, 4.000rpm: 14.4v.

Last edited by giorgiom92; 05-10-2018 at 08:45 PM.
post #16 of 25 (permalink) Old 05-10-2018, 09:16 PM
Hand-Eye Coordinator

Quote:

I checked the voltage with switch off: 12.8v ignition being pressed: 10.5v, idling: 13.8v, 4.000rpm: 14.4v.
Can you borrow a battery from someone? I know the numbers look good, but that weak start and the shitty idle still sound like battery to this cat.

Is there an Intake Air Temp sensor you could check, too?
post #17 of 25 (permalink) Old 05-10-2018, 10:39 PM
You should listen to me. No, seriously, listen to me.

Motorcycle: Blue 2006 GSX-R1000

I think that you can get an infrared thermometer gun at Home Depot for $20. That will be better than fingers on the headers. It's possible that you have one or more bad injectors. This recently came up in the K7/K8 section: See #9 and following here.

Last edited by BillV; 05-12-2018 at 12:13 PM. Reason: Fixed typo
post #18 of 25 (permalink) Old 05-11-2018, 08:24 PM Thread Starter
Track Day Winner

I have created a new thread since the story is becoming every time more complicated...

but here is the story anyways in case you missed the other thread...

"Hey guys, me again, this story seems to go on and on and never end... (GSXR1000 K1 that was sitting for 3 months)

I came home today and turned her on, after a warming period i started revving my bike (8-10k) and acted normally for about 10-15 minutes, then i revved again and she went crazy all by herself going all the way to redline and I just couldnít stop the engine with the throttle, no matter what, she just kept rpm's at redline so I just had to turn off the key.
After about 1 minute I turned her on again ďnormallyĒ but l felted like she was missing and jumpy (much more than before) so I turned off again and opened the air filter box, then opening the butterfly valves with the throttle, saw this smoke coming out all the 4 intakes, and also saw like 1/4 cup of water coming out the return tube of the coolant reservoir.

There is the video of the smoke coming out the intake...

There are some more videos of the bike running days before, she was kind of jumpy and irregular, but after today i'm more and more confused...

Aaaaany help would be appreciated!"
post #19 of 25 (permalink) Old 05-11-2018, 11:04 PM
Hand-Eye Coordinator

So you are gonna ignore a bunch of advice and then ask for more? Eff that.
post #20 of 25 (permalink) Old 05-12-2018, 06:07 AM Thread Starter
Track Day Winner

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacBayne View Post
Quote:

Can you borrow a battery from someone? I know the numbers look good, but that weak start and the shitty idle still sound like battery to this cat.

Is there an Intake Air Temp sensor you could check, too?
My friend, I have already charged the battery, that’s why I got those voltage numbers, in the first video the battery wasn’t still being charged up...

I guess there is some Air temperature sensor, probably near to the air filter but I can’t see anything weird there with bare eyes.

By the way, I was not ignoring your advices 🤷‍♂️🏼
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode