02 k1 ecu question - Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com
 10Likes
Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 50 (permalink) Old 01-22-2018, 07:39 PM Thread Starter
I'm a West Coast douchebag who wishes he lived on the East Coast

Motorcycle: 2002 GSXR 1000
02 k1 ecu question

HEY GUYS I HAVE 02 K1 STOCK EXHAUST WHICH I WANNA KEEP NO MODS I disconnected the stva and ecva and have had for 6 years always has code 28 with FI light on which doesn't bother me and the bike has ran exceptional. Just recently while in second above 7k rpm and 3rd ,4th w.o.t. it sputters almost like hitting rev limiter but intermittently rolling up thru throttle sometimes its no miss and sometimes miss. Any idea what it could be suggestions greatly appreciated.
Second question I was thinking of getting the ecu remapped. I want to keep stock exhaust cause I don't like loud exhaust but thinking of getting a better air filter than the k&n I have. Is it necessary to remap or have ecu tuned for only having the stva wide open and ecva taken out?recommendations? again thank you very much
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 50 (permalink) Old 01-22-2018, 08:11 PM
Ex-Lady Supermod

Garage
Re: 02 k1 ecu question

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1GSXRJAY1 View Post
Just recently while in second above 7k rpm and 3rd ,4th w.o.t. it sputters almost like hitting rev limiter but intermittently rolling up thru throttle sometimes its no miss and sometimes miss. Any idea what it could be suggestions greatly appreciated.
Sounds like maybe a fuel flow issue, try doing a fuel flow test to see if you flow the proper amount of fuel.
post #3 of 50 (permalink) Old 01-23-2018, 11:31 AM
I know things... A lot of things.

Motorcycle: GSXR 750 K4

Please try to be a bit more clear in describing the problem. So you accelerate past 7k and it starts stuttering intermittently. Does it clear up after that? Does it sometimes manage to pull to 9k/10k and pull strong after that? Or does it perhaps always bog down after 7k?

As for remapping, modifications to the intake or exhaust flow, which includes the filter, secondaries (STVA) and exhaust valves (EXCVA) generally affect fueling substantially and should be taken into account when remapping.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 50 (permalink) Old 01-24-2018, 12:13 PM Thread Starter

Thanks Samantha 750 I did fuel pump pressure check and volume I got about 40psi pressure and over 350ml at 10 sec test.Today when I rode it when i wrap the throttle it takes off like it always has bat out of hell then tried it again and it instantly fell on its face but I didn't let off throttle I stayed on it and it sputtered all the way up to rev limit.Then I let off smoothly accelerated instead of wot, it was moving but I could feel in throttle it wanted to start doing it and it feels like when you hit rev limiter.I do 2nd,3rd,4th and it does it all the same in each gear.Im going to go buy new spark plugs even tho I know it don't need it I changed about 3-4000 miles ago with the iridium I have always used.I have changed nothing regarding stva and excva the have always been disconnected since day 1 and only code ever thrown is c28 and still is there. I recently adj. tps c00 code hash mark was to the top now is in the middle.I put o e m or better only parts on it and always research here very extensively if I don't know something about a part or product.PLEASE HELP I WANT HER BACK TO HER OLD SELF!!! Thanks for any and all input!!!
post #5 of 50 (permalink) Old 01-24-2018, 12:20 PM Thread Starter

not blowing any smoke well tiny bit black and since I've adj tps it doesn't smell too rich tiny smell of fuel but not out of norm.PLEASE HELP THANK YOU ALL
post #6 of 50 (permalink) Old 01-24-2018, 12:21 PM Thread Starter

I do have a second ecu that I bought and didn't need when putting it back together thats why I was thinking of remapping.
post #7 of 50 (permalink) Old 01-24-2018, 01:20 PM

Location: In the garage, smoking one of Anthony D's cigars...
Motorcycle: None, gave them all to Anthony D...

Fuel pressure should be a constant 43psi
post #8 of 50 (permalink) Old 01-24-2018, 02:07 PM Thread Starter

I have another Q if one of the sensors or fuel injectors or actuators on the engine it would throw a code correct? and just replaced radiator andall hoses and t stat, but it seems heat up rather quicker than it used to no color change in oil and idid compression test all within 5 p s I of each??? I'm stumped FFFFFUUUUCCCCCCCKKKKKK
post #9 of 50 (permalink) Old 01-24-2018, 03:03 PM

Quote:
I have another Q if one of the sensors or fuel injectors or actuators on the engine it would throw a code correct? and just replaced radiator andall hoses and t stat, but it seems heat up rather quicker than it used to no color change in oil and idid compression test all within 5 p s I of each??? I'm stumped FFFFFUUUUCCCCCCCKKKKKK
Most likely culprit would be air trapped in the cooling system,if you just replaced all hoses/stat. Try burping the rad.
post #10 of 50 (permalink) Old 01-24-2018, 05:13 PM
Squid

Motorcycle: K1 750
Garage

It sounds like the same problem I'm having. I think at this point I've cleaned, inspected, and checked all parts against what the service manual specifies and the only thing I can think to do is to get it dyno tuned for the mods done to it. To see if that addresses the problem. I'd try another ECU to see if it was an ECU related issue, but I'd have to buy one because I don't know anyone who has an 01 750 compatible ECU that came off a good running bike to test.

GSXRJAY, your bike bogs, sputters and acts like its all of a sudden running on less cylinders above 7k. Idles fine, does fine up until higher RPM and then it runs like crap.
Is your bike running rich, by that I mean black soot on the inside of the exhaust, popping and shooting fire when slowing down from higher RPM while in the same gear?
post #11 of 50 (permalink) Old 01-24-2018, 06:35 PM
Expert

Motorcycle: 02 GSXR turbo 1k, 02 GSXR 1070, 86 GSXR 750 (92 1216 motor), 89 FZR 1000 (1070 motor), 94 GSXR 750 (95 1146 motor), BigBore 00 Busa
Garage

Get it on a dyno. I have seen bikes make 43 PSI of fuel at idle, and seem fine, but while under load, go down to 20 PSI of fuel. Most likely a clogged high pressure filter in the pump assembly, very common with these. Either way, the dyno guys will be able to figure out why its running like crap.
post #12 of 50 (permalink) Old 01-24-2018, 10:38 PM Thread Starter

GSXRJAY, your bike bogs, sputters and acts like its all of a sudden running on less cylinders above 7k. Idles fine, does fine up until higher RPM and then it runs like crap.
Is your bike running rich, by that I mean black soot on the inside of the exhaust, popping and shooting fire when slowing down from higher RPM while in the same gear?
Ive owned the bike since 08 and in 11 I payed it down, June last year put it back together like it didn't skip a beat always smelled a lil rich, and as always ran better than a bat outta hell, last week GSXRJAY, your bike bogs, sputters and acts like its all of a sudden running on less cylinders above 7k. Idles fine, does fine up until higher RPM and then it runs like crap, and I am mechanically inclined but stumped on this one.I have 2 ecu and have swapped no change so I'm gonna disassemble the fuel tank and pump cause w no codes except c 28 its gotta b only thing left, but still open to opinions so anyone please give yours or symptoms you have had and solved. THANK YOU GUYS SOO MUCH
post #13 of 50 (permalink) Old 01-25-2018, 12:02 AM Thread Starter

Thumbs down Re: 02 k1 ecu question

just pulled pump out of tank and tank off bike. OMG stood tank vertical and felt like a bunch of sand laying on bottom of tank which I'm sure was sucked into pump.SO PLEASE STEP BY STEP how to clean and prep then make useable gas tank, and please don't tell me to take it to a shop.! 2nd-,....the best recommendation of stock replacement equivalent fuel pump and either internal or externally mounted pump.!!! thanks for the where to look for and what symptoms.
post #14 of 50 (permalink) Old 01-25-2018, 05:53 AM
Squid

Garage
https://youtu.be/NpqM-pJJEp0

Its the video i followed to clean my pump.

What size is your bike? I did a quick re read of the whole thread and didnt see it mentioned.
post #15 of 50 (permalink) Old 01-25-2018, 06:07 AM
Ex-Lady Supermod

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katsunaka View Post
What size is your bike? I did a quick re read of the whole thread and didnt see it mentioned.
Since this is posted in the 1000 forum, a 1000?

Then there is this, although it should be 1K instead of K1 which means a 2001. So either he has a 2002 1K or he is saying he has a 2002 K1.

Quote:
HEY GUYS I HAVE 02 K1 STOCK EXHAUST WHICH I WANNA KEEP NO MODS

Last edited by Samantha750; 01-25-2018 at 06:11 AM.
post #16 of 50 (permalink) Old 01-25-2018, 07:56 AM
Squid

Garage

Simple question and I get my throat jumped down. I didnt think to look at the specific forum, because Im on mobile and its a small little section.

But internet hero comes to save the day. Fuck this place.
post #17 of 50 (permalink) Old 01-26-2018, 05:50 AM
Vegemite-eating Administrator...

Motorcycle: 2003 gsxr1000 ,2008 gsxr600 ,2002 gsxr750 ,2006 CBR1000RR ,2001 CBR1100xx ,2002 VTR1000f ,2002 SV650s

Quote:
Simple question and I get my throat jumped down. I didnt think to look at the specific forum, because Im on mobile and its a small little section.

Throat jumped on ??!!

Dont melt to quickly there snowflake
post #18 of 50 (permalink) Old 01-26-2018, 06:05 AM

Must be a millennial
8you4t likes this.
post #19 of 50 (permalink) Old 01-26-2018, 06:11 AM
Ex-Lady Supermod

Garage

Quote:

What, I answered your question. I do have to say though, the "I'm on my mobile blah, blah, blah" is getting really old. If you can't properly see/navigate the site, get a bigger phone, a tablet and/or a computer. I showed you where OP said what bike he had, if you can't read/comprehend don't blame others for your own shortcomings. There, NOW you can get offended. I'm going to give you the BH-EZ form 'cause you know...reading/comprehension.

8you4t and mr_hollywood like this.
post #20 of 50 (permalink) Old 01-26-2018, 02:46 PM
You should listen to me. No, seriously, listen to me.

Motorcycle: Blue 2006 GSX-R1000

If Katsunaka is upset by Samantha pointing out that he needs to post in the correct forum, then he probably belongs elsewhere. Others have received far worse here.

1GSXRJAY1, if there's loose grit in your tank, it has to be removed. It's rust unless someone has sabotaged your bike. Start by blasting the loose stuff out with a garden hose. Some detergent wouldn't hurt. Then go after any remaining rust. There are many threads here about that but you can start here. Your fuel flow rate sounded like the pump might be OK. But OldGixxer's right about the pressure. Unless you have a crap pressure gauge, 40 psi is somewhat low. Check that the pump's pressure regulator isn't rusting or otherwise faulty. The really definitive test, but it's a hassle to set up, is to connect the gauge so that you can measure the pressure while you're riding and experiencing the sputtering. I also wonder if your injectors might be partially clogged.

P.S. Why did you disconnect the STVA? That and a stock exhaust seems like an unusual combination. The red FI indicator always being on effectively defeats the low oil pressure indication and greatly diminishes the ability to alert you to high temperatures. Not the smartest way to run IMO.
oldgixxer likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode