Bike broke, won't stay running - Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 63 (permalink) Old 08-30-2017, 12:23 PM Thread Starter
Amateur

Motorcycle: 2006 GSXR 1000
Garage
Bike broke, won't stay running

2006 gsxr 1000, with about 25k miles now.
has been running great, I rode it to work Monday and yesterday about 20 miles each way, filled up gas Monday night.

Ran perfect all yesterday, I parked it in my garage, this morning, I decided to ride it again, did my normal routine, getting my jacket/helmet on while the bike warms for a couple minutes. I rolled it out of the garage and once I engaged the clutch it stalled.. WTF, I started it up again and it idled for a split second then died again.

No warning light(red) while it runs, I pushed it back to the garage, took my gear off, earplugs, and waited a min. I turned the kill switch off and on and hear the fuel pump prime, and started it, it started but idled ultra low, like 600-800 instead of the perfect 1300 it normally idles at. as it was running I gave it a tad of gas and instantly it dies.

if I try to crank it again, it will crank but won't start, yet if I wait a little and prime the pump again it will run for a short while (low rpm)

This blows!! I'm supposed to be hitting the dragon in couple months, all I need now is some crazy job to repair this shit.

Anyway, where do you guys recommend me to start, I have a feeling its going to be a fuel flow measure, check dealer mode .

It's got gas, in it.

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 63 (permalink) Old 08-30-2017, 01:44 PM
You should listen to me. No, seriously, listen to me.

Motorcycle: Blue 2006 GSX-R1000
Re: Bike broke, won't stay running

Make sure that the IAP sensor and associated vacuum lines are connected/OK.

"I have a feeling its going to be a fuel flow measure"
That's probably the next thing to check. Look in the tank for any "stuff" around the pump.
post #3 of 63 (permalink) Old 08-30-2017, 02:20 PM Thread Starter
Amateur

Garage

Yea sucks!!

I'll be pulling this apart this weekend.
Just weird how it goes from perfect, to not running.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 63 (permalink) Old 08-30-2017, 03:59 PM Thread Starter
Amateur

Garage

After reading a lot, it seems dirty fuel filter issues ,people can have the bikes start and idle, but just will feel sluggish going over a certain RPM, usually higher band.

the IAP sensor issue from what I read would be throwing a code , there is no codes on my bike.

Also, what sucks, there have been such great write ups here on how to fix all sorts of things, but stupid photobucket ended that,.

Last edited by fastfedd; 08-30-2017 at 04:02 PM.
post #5 of 63 (permalink) Old 08-30-2017, 08:09 PM Thread Starter
Amateur

Garage

just got home from work and of course I'm going to try again, this time, it won't even start!! ARGGG WTF, why now!

I took a flash light and looked into the tank and it looks clean, very clean, nothing floating at all no debris.

Here is a video I took just now, this is all I tried and I don't want to keep cranking and burn my starter/battery out.

post #6 of 63 (permalink) Old 08-30-2017, 11:19 PM
Captain Obvious ... because obviously itís obvious.

Motorcycle: 2006 GSXR "250"
Garage

First thing I would check is if you are getting a code. Maybe a crank position sensor went bad, who knows? Next, I would check the voltage of your battery. Unlikely, but it's still easy to check. Finally I would do a fuel flow test, as described in the manual. 10 seconds of continuous 12V and measure the fuel output.
post #7 of 63 (permalink) Old 08-30-2017, 11:38 PM Thread Starter
Amateur

Garage

Yea I will do all this for sure, battery is brand new about 3 weeks old now.

When it was running this morning, low RPM and struggling to keep itself running there as no FI light.

When it comes to fuel flow, aren't most issues with this problem at a higher rpm, I mean do people with dirty filters not be able to at least start it up?

I wish this was something progressive, but it went from flawless lastnight to 8 hours later, starting up fine, warming up, then dying 5 minutes later, able to start it up again but only for about 20 seconds, started again, this time 10 seconds, and again, 5 seconds. I go to work, 10 hours later, it won't start at all.
post #8 of 63 (permalink) Old 08-30-2017, 11:40 PM

It could be that gas you bought on Monday night. Look for a code but the bike won't start with a bad crankshaft or camshaft position sensor and you were saying that it did. You could verify that you're not getting enough fuel by priming it through the throttle body and seeing if it will run briefly. Just don't get carried away with how much you add.
post #9 of 63 (permalink) Old 08-31-2017, 03:30 AM
Married his Fleshlight... And Also touches people in a "special" way

Did you put diesel in it?

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk
post #10 of 63 (permalink) Old 08-31-2017, 04:01 AM
Ex-Lady Supermod

Garage

Just for shit and giggles, have you measured the volts on the battery? Could be a failed charging system that drained the battery. One other thing, the way and amount of time you were cranking is going to cost you a new starter. Don't crank for more than 10 seconds and then wait 30 seconds to allow the starter to cool.

Also, why do you have an aversion to posting in the year/model for your bike? You post here in this forum which gets few views.
post #11 of 63 (permalink) Old 08-31-2017, 12:42 PM

"One other thing, the way and amount of time you were cranking is going to cost you a new starter. Don't crank for more than 10 seconds and then wait 30 seconds to allow the starter to cool."

The service and owner's manuals say five seconds, though that's probably conservative. I also would have thought that the limit had to do with stress to the starter, notably the brushes and commutator, or maybe the battery. But the service manual, 9-16, says that the starter relay coil may overheat. That was unexpected. I would not have thought that it would be an issue.
post #12 of 63 (permalink) Old 08-31-2017, 01:16 PM Thread Starter
Amateur

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillV View Post
It could be that gas you bought on Monday night. Look for a code but the bike won't start with a bad crankshaft or camshaft position sensor and you were saying that it did. You could verify that you're not getting enough fuel by priming it through the throttle body and seeing if it will run briefly. Just don't get carried away with how much you add.
I put gas in Monday night, drove about 75-80 miles worth the next day, which is more then half the tank, you think bad gas would wait that long?

Quote:
Originally Posted by bentoverhard69 View Post

I drive a TDI VW, and filled up Monday night during stress, what if I did? I mean I have about 1.5 gallons left, and filled up with about 1.5 gallons left, so that means I put at least 3 gallons of diesel in it, no way it would have run great for 80 miles with a mix diesel, right?

Thanks

Last edited by fastfedd; 08-31-2017 at 02:16 PM.
post #13 of 63 (permalink) Old 08-31-2017, 01:17 PM Thread Starter
Amateur

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samantha750 View Post
Just for shit and giggles, have you measured the volts on the battery? Could be a failed charging system that drained the battery. One other thing, the way and amount of time you were cranking is going to cost you a new starter. Don't crank for more than 10 seconds and then wait 30 seconds to allow the starter to cool.

Also, why do you have an aversion to posting in the year/model for your bike? You post here in this forum which gets few views.

I haven't done any checking yet, my tools are not in my garage, so I have to wait until this weekend, but I'm going to guess this is not a battery issue, how could the battery be drained yet cranking perfectly and fast.

?
post #14 of 63 (permalink) Old 08-31-2017, 01:19 PM Thread Starter
Amateur

Garage

Based on not starting at all, could this still be a clogged filter? has anyone seen a bike not start based on that? (out of no where, running perfect, redlining fine, 8 hours later not starting?)

THanks all!
post #15 of 63 (permalink) Old 08-31-2017, 03:49 PM

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by fastfedd View Post
I put gas in Monday night, drove about 75-80 miles worth the next day, which is more then half the tank, you think bad gas would wait that long?

I drive a TDI VW, and filled up Monday night during stress, what if I did? I mean I have about 1.5 gallons left, and filled up with about 1.5 gallons left, so that means I put at least 3 gallons of diesel in it, no way it would have run great for 80 miles with a mix diesel, right?

Thanks
Honestly, if there is any doubt about it, I would dump the tank.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fastfedd View Post
Based on not starting at all, could this still be a clogged filter? has anyone seen a bike not start based on that? (out of no where, running perfect, redlining fine, 8 hours later not starting?)

THanks all!
The test is nearly free and it is quick. You could have already performed it in the time you posted all of your responses. It really doesn't matter what others have experienced, when you can entirely eliminate or diagnose the issue within a couple of minutes. All with two wires and a graded measuring container
post #16 of 63 (permalink) Old 08-31-2017, 04:20 PM

Location: In the garage, smoking one of Anthony D's cigars...
Motorcycle: None, gave them all to Anthony D...

Quote:
Originally Posted by bentoverhard69 View Post

At least he didn't put this in the tank @Anthony D
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	61fTeS-c0aL._SY679_.jpg
Views:	6
Size:	26.2 KB
ID:	520554  
post #17 of 63 (permalink) Old 08-31-2017, 04:25 PM

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldgixxer View Post
At least he didn't put this in the tank @Anthony D
Looks just like the fuel additive!
post #18 of 63 (permalink) Old 08-31-2017, 04:27 PM
Soberz again

Motorcycle: 2006 GSX-R1000
Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillV View Post
You could verify that you're not getting enough fuel by priming it through the throttle body and seeing if it will run briefly.
I would give this a shot. You'd instantly be able to tell whether or not you have a fueling problem. Hopefully your fuel pump didn't go out. I highly doubt this is a battery issue from what you described. Good luck.
post #19 of 63 (permalink) Old 08-31-2017, 04:29 PM

Location: In the garage, smoking one of Anthony D's cigars...
Motorcycle: None, gave them all to Anthony D...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Just_Nick View Post
Looks just like the fuel additive!
That thread never gets old
post #20 of 63 (permalink) Old 08-31-2017, 04:43 PM Thread Starter
Amateur

Garage

Yea thanks, again, I won't be able to do a thing this Sat. so just trying to have a conversation now and get all possibilities .

As for the fuel pump, I see them online for cheap, as cheap as 15 bucks on ebay and cheap as 40 bucks else where.

I do hear the pump priming , it might sound a little different though, not sure.

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode