Garage door opener on the flasher switch? - Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-21-2017, 05:00 PM Thread Starter
Amateur

Motorcycle: 2006 GSXR 1000
Garage
Garage door opener on the flasher switch?

anyone do this? i was just looking at door openers and even small ones are somewhat bulky. I saw some threads else where where people used their headlight switch and used the brights switch as a garage door opener.

I was thinking, since i only ride with my brights on all the time, that flasher switch is a waste for me, I could use it as a garage door opener.

What do you guys think?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-21-2017, 06:03 PM
Expert

Garage
Re: Garage door opener on the flasher switch?

It crossed my mind to do that. You would still need to purchase a garage door opener. The open it up and hope the button isn't soldered directly to the board. Ie: wires go from the board to the button mechanism. Assuming thats the case, you would have to extend the wires a couple feet, mount the box in a fashion that protects it from the elements without too much signal interference, then splice into the wire harness to find the the wires and tap them. After thinking on it for a while, I opted to buy a Keychain garage door opener.

$12.00 on ebay.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20170721_190445.jpg (52.9 KB, 5 views)

Last edited by maniac1886; 07-21-2017 at 06:09 PM.
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-21-2017, 06:13 PM
Thatís Mister Chalet To You ....

Quote:
Originally Posted by fastfedd View Post
since i only ride with my brights on all the time, that flasher switch is a waste for me, I could use it as a garage door opener.

What do you guys think?
I think riding around with only your brights is very annoying and possibly dangerous for other motorists and you.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-22-2017, 11:30 AM
You should listen to me. No, seriously, listen to me.

Motorcycle: Blue 2006 GSX-R1000

^+1, particularly at night. The dimmer switch has an unused W lead that's associated with the low beam. Maybe that lead could be moved over to replace the Y lead on the passing light switch.
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-22-2017, 11:34 AM Thread Starter
Amateur

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by le skid View Post
I think riding around with only your brights is very annoying and possibly dangerous for other motorists and you.
cute. maybe on a newer bike. This 2006 with brand new bulbs and ensuring the correct voltage is correct and ensuring the level for both bulbs are correct (see my past threads) both lights are still barely acceptable. Compared to any modern car, side by side this bike is a joke when it comes to headlights.

Oh and I thought for a while it was just mine, but I've now compared to a few older bikes.

So that said, I'm going to make sure people see me to the best possibility and that requires as much of these pathetic lights as possible.
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-22-2017, 01:05 PM
You should listen to me. No, seriously, listen to me.

Motorcycle: Blue 2006 GSX-R1000

I guess the issue is aim. It might be OK if you aimed the high beam down to where it was in the same area as the low. There's still an issue of the high beam bulb filament not being shielded but I don't know if that creates a glare problem or not.
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-22-2017, 01:23 PM
Ex-Lady Supermod

Garage

This is the best albeit perhaps not the cheapest.

post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-22-2017, 01:29 PM
Captain Obvious ... because obviously itís obvious.

Motorcycle: 2006 GSXR "250"
Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by fastfedd View Post
cute. maybe on a newer bike. This 2006 with brand new bulbs and ensuring the correct voltage is correct and ensuring the level for both bulbs are correct (see my past threads) both lights are still barely acceptable. Compared to any modern car, side by side this bike is a joke when it comes to headlights.

Oh and I thought for a while it was just mine, but I've now compared to a few older bikes.

So that said, I'm going to make sure people see me to the best possibility and that requires as much of these pathetic lights as possible.
The lights are perfectly fine. Maybe you should find out what's wrong with your bike before blaming the bike as a whole.
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-24-2017, 05:27 PM Thread Starter
Amateur

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Just_Nick View Post
The lights are perfectly fine. Maybe you should find out what's wrong with your bike before blaming the bike as a whole.
If you think so, then that's your opinion.
Compared to my buddy's CBR with LED's in it, its not even close. I have a friend with an 05 gsxr and guess what, same output as mine, garbage.

There is a reason there are so many HID/LED kits for these bikes, besides just looks.

There is nothing wrong with my bike, I have two brand new bulbs from that candlepower store online. voltage is normal @ 12.xx volts, there is nothing wrong with the bike, the lights just aren't that bright.
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-24-2017, 05:46 PM
Both Handsome AND Pretty!

Motorcycle: Dromaius Novaehollandiae

I'm sure people coming at you at night agree with you that your high beam isn't that bright and that they are blinded more by newer bikes with brighter LED high beams.
post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-25-2017, 12:15 PM Thread Starter
Amateur

Garage

lol true, no one is blinded from this these lights haha.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode