Clutch Won't Engage After Replacing - Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 07-14-2017, 12:10 AM Thread Starter
Track Day Winner

Motorcycle: GSXR K71000
Question Clutch Won't Engage After Replacing

On my 2007 R1000, I replaced the clutch pack because it started slipping at high RPM. I got a factory kit, and made sure to be very careful to put the it all back in the order as stated in the service manual. When starting it up and for a split second I feel a little tug of the clutch engaging, but after that, it's not grabbing at all. I did soak the clutch pack in oil for about an hour. I can't figure out what could be the issue. Any help???
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 07-14-2017, 06:34 AM

Location: In the garage, smoking one of Anthony D's cigars...
Motorcycle: None, gave them all to Anthony D...
Re: Clutch Won't Engage After Replacing

Some of the OEM Suzuki clutch packs come with different thickness steels;measure your stack height and check the service manual to confirm. If the stack height is too tall,you will experience what you're describing
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 07-15-2017, 12:48 PM Thread Starter
Track Day Winner

Re: Clutch Won't Engage After Replacing

Thank you for the info! I'm glad I pulled the old clutch pack out of the trash when it didn't work! Thank you for the info, I'll pull it al back apart and compare.

So to confirm, if the new clutch pack is taller than the original, that will cause the clutch to not engage and the engine just free revving with the clutch lever fully released? I thought too tall would have made it too grabby instead.

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldgixxer View Post
Some of the OEM Suzuki clutch packs come with different thickness steels;measure your stack height and check the service manual to confirm. If the stack height is too tall,you will experience what you're describing
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 07-22-2017, 09:22 PM Thread Starter
Track Day Winner

So I tore it back apart and measured the new stack to the old one, and it's practically identical (about 1/2mm shorter actually). So I'm back at square 1 on why the the clutch won't engage with the new factory frictions, steels and springs. Any ideas? This is way too basic for me to take to a shop for.

Quote:
Originally Posted by snorkelface View Post
Thank you for the info! I'm glad I pulled the old clutch pack out of the trash when it didn't work! Thank you for the info, I'll pull it al back apart and compare.

So to confirm, if the new clutch pack is taller than the original, that will cause the clutch to not engage and the engine just free revving with the clutch lever fully released? I thought too tall would have made it too grabby instead.

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldgixxer View Post

Last edited by snorkelface; 07-23-2017 at 01:13 AM.
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 07-29-2017, 01:12 AM Thread Starter
Track Day Winner

To close this out and provide info in case others run across this, the issue was the slave cylinder piston wasn't returning back into its housing. Opened the bleeder screw and pushed it back in. Clutch works perfect now.

Now I just have this damn clutch cover oil leak I can't get rid of. :/

Last edited by snorkelface; 07-29-2017 at 02:33 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode