How to fix kickstand kill switch? - Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-01-2017, 12:48 PM Thread Starter
Amateur

Motorcycle: 2006 GSXR 1000
Garage
How to fix kickstand kill switch?

It's happened two times now in a thousand miles of riding this 06 gsxr.
It has to be the kick stand kill switch. Coming to a hard stop the bike stalled on me, coasting to the light, it starts right back up. I tried lubing the kickstand switch, but i think its the kickstand spring, its not that strong. a few times after kicking the stand up, I still had to push it up a little with my foot as it didn't activate the switch.

so its either, lessen the pressure on the switch or increase the pressure on the kickstand.
Whats the best way with this ?

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-01-2017, 01:06 PM
Expert

Garage
Re: How to fix kickstand kill switch?

I would start with a new spring. I've not taken the kickstand off my bike for any reason, but alot of bikes have a bushing that helps reduce drag as well. A new spring, possibly bushings and some lube should do it.
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-01-2017, 01:10 PM
!##NULL##!

Motorcycle: '05 GSX-R1000

Sprayed mine with some of that 'dry lube' really good, snapped right up after that every time!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-01-2017, 01:15 PM Thread Starter
Amateur

Garage

I used teflon grease on the spring of the kick stand, not really anything on the kill switch.
Did you use the dry lube on the kill switch? maybe I'll try that with some graphite .

Thanks
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-01-2017, 04:03 PM
Captain Obvious ... because obviously itís obvious.

Motorcycle: 2006 GSXR "250"
Garage

When you lubed the kickstand did you simply spray it, or did you disassemble it, clean both the mount and the stand, apply grease, and reassemble it?
Mine wasn't going up easily, especially as it approached the resting point, and fully disassembling it and greasing it made a huge difference. I didn't even have to buy a spring, which I was planning to do if the cleaning and regreasing didn't work. I tried spray lubricants prior, it didn't help nearly as much.
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-01-2017, 04:50 PM
You should listen to me. No, seriously, listen to me.

Motorcycle: Blue 2006 GSX-R1000

First of all, the spring is actually two springs, one inside the other. If you're missing one, it won't come/say up properly.

The kickstand pivots on a stepped bolt. Grease is your friend there. A water resistant wheel bearing grease is preferred. Remove the pivot bolt to properly grease things.

The kickstand mounting bolts look like this:

They use a high strength thread lock and tend to set in place because of the thread lock and their location. Furthermore the hex socket is shallower than a standard socket head bolt so it's easy for a hex drive to strip in the socket. I had mine off about a month ago and that happened on one. It took a large Channellock pliers on the outer serrated portion to get it out. I suggest that you consider replacing your bolts with some hex flange bolts. It's a hardware store item but there are some cheap titanium bolts on ebay right now. Even with the hex head, the springs still clear.

I noticed some slop in the fit between the kickstand and it's bracket so I added a .012" shim to tighten things up. It's still loose enough to come right up but there's noticeably less room for wiggle in the kickstand.

This is from another thread here and shows what things can get to:

Rather than fool with the kickstand bolts, he cut the front linkage bolt in half to get it out.
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-01-2017, 11:06 PM Thread Starter
Amateur

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Just_Nick View Post
When you lubed the kickstand did you simply spray it, or did you disassemble it, clean both the mount and the stand, apply grease, and reassemble it?
Mine wasn't going up easily, especially as it approached the resting point, and fully disassembling it and greasing it made a huge difference. I didn't even have to buy a spring, which I was planning to do if the cleaning and regreasing didn't work. I tried spray lubricants prior, it didn't help nearly as much.
just sprayed it. It's an after market kickstand that is adjustable (guy had it lowered before me, I raised it back up)

I'll disassemble it this weekend for sure!

Thanks
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-02-2017, 07:03 AM

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by fastfedd View Post
just sprayed it. It's an after market kickstand that is adjustable (guy had it lowered before me, I raised it back up)

I'll disassemble it this weekend for sure!

Thanks
While you're at it, why not just buy yourself an OEM kickstand that is used? You can pick one up for about $15-20.
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-04-2017, 12:44 PM Thread Starter
Amateur

Garage

yea??

I mean the stand seems ok, just need a stronger spring, I'll try the cleaning trick but yea, I might do that if this doesn't work
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-04-2017, 01:32 PM

Garage

I say that because the adjustable stands are often cheapo eBay specials that don't seem nearly sturdy enough. But, if it's a high-quality branded one, then keep it.
post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-04-2017, 04:38 PM Thread Starter
Amateur

Garage

probably a cheapo , I'll look into it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode