• 1 Post By ant_8u

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-30-2017, 02:55 PM Thread Starter
Track Day Winner

Motorcycle: GSX-R 1000 K1
Garage
Pins and Needles - Right Foot

Hi Guys,

After riding my bike for a while I start getting pins and needles in my right foot.

I've tried tracing the source of the problem but haven't had any luck so far.
I've ridden in different boots and different pants incase they were restricting my circulation, and have tried varying my foot position, all to no avail.

I've checked the footpeg and it's properly tightened.

I don't have the problem when riding other bikes, and I never have a problem with my left foot, so it seems unlikely to be the riding position.

Could I be getting vibration through the foot-peg causing me to get pins and needles?
Or is there something else I haven't thought of?

Thanks in advance,
Ant.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-30-2017, 03:06 PM
You should listen to me. No, seriously, listen to me.

Motorcycle: Blue 2006 GSX-R1000
Re: Pins and Needles - Right Foot

I'm thinking that it could be associated with the seat. Maybe try a pad to see if things change.
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-30-2017, 03:09 PM Thread Starter
Track Day Winner

Garage

I hadn't thought of that, I'll take a cushion out with me next time to see if that helps.......

What do I do if I fall off the cushion? Tuck and roll?
Todd_Sails likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-30-2017, 03:30 PM
!##NULL##!

Motorcycle: '05 GSX-R1000

This could be a nerve problem, originating in your lower spine, L5-S1 area on that side.
Or the foramen of those nerves being pinched, OR- the popliteal nerve behind your knee, OR....

You have tried to diagnose the culprit well, good luck, I hope it abates
* Try and make sure the material behind you left knee isn't getting too tightly pinched in there when in your riding position.
If you can do it safely, and don't freeze, you could try it with shorts on briefly to see it it returns?

Todd

Last edited by Todd_Sails; 03-30-2017 at 03:33 PM.
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-30-2017, 04:31 PM Thread Starter
Track Day Winner

Garage

Thanks Todd, very interesting ideas

I've been out riding with loose pants on just incase be regular pants were bunching-up behind my knee and restricting my circulation, but it made no difference.

I had (quite possibly incorrectly) assumed with no tight clothing causing restricted blood flow and both legs being in a similar position the problem must have be coming through the right footpeg somehow - perhaps that's not the case?

How do I go about ruling out what you've suggested as possible causes?
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-30-2017, 04:34 PM
Both Handsome AND Pretty!

Motorcycle: Dromaius Novaehollandiae

Quote:
Originally Posted by Todd_Sails View Post
This could be a nerve problem, originating in your lower spine, L5-S1 area on that side.
Or the foramen of those nerves being pinched, OR- the popliteal nerve behind your knee, OR....

Todd
Sounds like this^^. I would guess there is something perfectly wrong about the riding position that is pinching a nerve. It can give you anything from pins & needles to where you would swear a wasp has stung you. Check/adjust lever & foot control positions. Try a seat height change, riding gear isn't bunched behind your knee.

Last edited by oldfart01; 03-30-2017 at 04:37 PM.
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-30-2017, 06:20 PM
!##NULL##!

I'd try the more common things first like OF01 suggested.

To definitively check for nerve impingment- an EMG and/of MRI of the Lumbar spine.

Try the other stuff first,
Good luck, I do hope you get it solved, doesn't seem like fun.
You stated it doesn't happen when you ride other sport bikes either?
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-31-2017, 06:25 AM Thread Starter
Track Day Winner

Garage

Thanks guys, I'll start with the basics and go from there,
First job will be to add some padding to the seat and alter my foot position as Bill and OldFart suggested

I have a GSXR K1 and an '03 Honda VFR at my disposal, but haven't ever noticed getting pins and needles whilst on the VFR

I haven't ridden any other sport bikes so I don't know if it's the seating position, or my actual bike itself
Previously I've ridden a Honda CB125 and a Kawasaki ER5 for hours on end with no sign of pins and needles, and test rode a Triumph Thunderbird last year for an extended period and was fine with that too

They're the only bikes I've ridden and they're clearly very different to my K1
My K1 is the only bike I've noticed getting pins and needles on, and it seems to happen every time (I need to check how long it takes to appear)

(Just to clarify, What is it that causes pins and needles? Is it a loss of circulation and restricted blood flow, or is it applying pressure to a nerve? And can vibration cause any of this?)
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-31-2017, 06:53 AM
!##NULL##!

(Just to clarify, What is it that causes pins and needles? Is it a loss of circulation and restricted blood flow, or is it applying pressure to a nerve? And can vibration cause any of this?)

It could be any of these things, or even a combination of them.
I know that's a vague, but true answer at this point.
Have you had any blood circulation problems with that leg before? Can you feel a good pulse on top of your bare foot?
There was a post recently that someone actually had a unilateral foot drop from pressure being applied to his popoliteal fossa (behind his knee) that he had to correct. Similar to yours, but you just have paresthesias (pins and needles atm) Good luck, and keep us posted on what you figure out.
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-31-2017, 04:48 PM
Amateur

Motorcycle: Gsxr

It's gotta be the riding position. I had one bike almost ruin me for riding. I would get bad leg cramps and my back started acting up. Got rid of that beatch(vstrom) and never had a problem since. I hated that ffnn bike.
post #11 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-01-2017, 06:27 AM Thread Starter
Track Day Winner

Garage

Yeah, I don't think my clothing is causing any restriction, so I'm thinking it's something to do with either me personally or the bike itself.

When you say riding position, are you thinking I need to adjust myself somehow, or that I'm just incompatible with this bike/sports bikes?

I wasn't sure it was riding position at first as I believe I sit pretty symmetrically, but then realised my blood vessels and nerves are symmetrical
post #12 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-01-2017, 06:34 PM

Vibration can definitely cause pins and needles. I doubt its the clothes causing it, and it maybe the position. Can you adjust the rear brake pedal?
post #13 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-01-2017, 07:04 PM Thread Starter
Track Day Winner

Garage

The bike's almost completely stock so I don't think the pedal is adjustable (K1 1000)

I wear Sidi Vertebra boots when I ride. I've tried wearing thicker socks, and I've tried adding insoles to reduce any possible vibrations, but I haven't cured it yet........Maybe I'm just broken.

I'm thinking about going out squidding in some trainers/sneakers to rule out the possibility of my boots pressing against my shin and cutting of blood supply and/or pressing a nerve
post #14 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-02-2017, 08:35 AM
Amateur

Motorcycle: 2003 GSX-R600 (K3?) Alstare

I had similar problems on my last bike and corrected with a Corbin seat. The OE seat had a Ridge that was putting pressure on the inside of my thigh. Then a while later when my chain started to go it was vibrating and almost knocking. I could really feel it at my left foot. It was vibrating and felt like someone tapping at the bottom of my feet. My feet would tingle. I can do 1000 to 1200kms daily now.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk
post #15 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-20-2017, 01:36 PM
Amateur

Motorcycle: 2006 GSXR 1000
Garage

Start doing some light jogging, stretch your legs/ankles/feet every morning and night, there are plenty of stretches online you can find.
Then do some light weight squats and maybe light weight deadlifts. Get your body to use your feet and stretch stretch stretch. I've had this problem as well and just needed to get back into shape a little and it worked for me.
Also my father has had this happen and he fixed it with innersouls in his shoes, even though your not really putting much weight on the pegs, your foot is still being arched in a way that will cause the pins and needles.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode