Strange noise from engine - Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com
 2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 28 (permalink) Old 03-13-2017, 11:43 AM Thread Starter
Provisional Novice

Strange noise from engine

Noise is comming from engine can anyone tell me thr reason ? here is video for sound . Its gsxr 1000 L2 . With 8900km
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 28 (permalink) Old 03-13-2017, 11:47 AM
Captain Obvious ... because obviously itís obvious.

Motorcycle: 2006 GSXR "250"
Garage
Re: Strange noise from engine

post #3 of 28 (permalink) Old 03-13-2017, 11:53 AM Thread Starter
Provisional Novice

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 28 (permalink) Old 03-13-2017, 11:53 AM
I want Rossi to fuck my ass...

Motorcycle: K1 600

Lol^^
Attached Images
File Type: gif 1e73cc2ce9f05d66b8f43db7c824d63c.gif (361.6 KB, 103 views)
post #5 of 28 (permalink) Old 03-13-2017, 01:33 PM
Lifetime Premium

Motorcycle: K5 1000 & K1 750

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suzi1000 View Post
You're welcome.

post #6 of 28 (permalink) Old 03-13-2017, 04:02 PM
Amateur

Motorcycle: Black GSX-R 1000 L5

That sounds like a saw. Fucking awful noise. You made any changes such as manual cct or have you ever been in the engine?
post #7 of 28 (permalink) Old 03-13-2017, 09:36 PM
Not the powers that be, not even close.

Motorcycle: 600k2

My first assumption from the noise? A CCT failure. I would remove and inspect/replace the cam chain tensioner.
deank69 likes this.
post #8 of 28 (permalink) Old 03-13-2017, 11:35 PM Thread Starter
Provisional Novice

I have never done anything for my engine its not opened . Just 5 days ago it started this sound. Is it dangerous sound or how can i fix it ?
post #9 of 28 (permalink) Old 03-14-2017, 04:00 AM
Amateur

Motorcycle: Black GSX-R 1000 L5

I would not even start that engine again. Get someone Competent to strip and inspect the engine. Start with CCT
post #10 of 28 (permalink) Old 03-14-2017, 04:48 AM Thread Starter
Provisional Novice

There is a lot of oppinios some of people talk about chain and chain tensioner some people thinks about cluch kit
post #11 of 28 (permalink) Old 03-14-2017, 05:59 AM
Expert

Garage

If it was the clutch, it would usually go away when the clutch lever is pulled in.
post #12 of 28 (permalink) Old 03-14-2017, 06:12 AM Thread Starter
Provisional Novice

I think the same that cluch is stuppid idea becouse nothing changes when i pull cluch lever. So. Cct it is cam chain tansioner ,,adjuster ,,?
post #13 of 28 (permalink) Old 03-14-2017, 03:58 PM Thread Starter
Provisional Novice

So everyone who heares my engine voice told that its chain sound. But some of them ar thinking about chain adjuster . Some of them on chain himself. And some of them about chain tensioner. What is your oppinion. Just for me its better if problem is chain tensioner adjuster becouse i can change it without open engine head. But CCT its chain adjuster or its tensioner which is two in engine ?
post #14 of 28 (permalink) Old 03-14-2017, 04:04 PM
Expert

Garage

I think you're confused.

The cam chain tensioner adjusts the chains slack, keeping it taught. It is automatic. Oil pumps into into the cam chain tensioner and pushes its adjuster against the chain to remove the excess slack. When it goes bad, the teeth that hold cam chain tensioners adjuster in its position stop doing their job and the chain gets slack in it again. The noise you hear, when this happens, is the cam chain slapping against the inside of the motor.

Most people replace the cam chain tensioner with a manual cam chain tensioner that you basically screw in to put pressure on the chain and remove the slack. The motor does not have to be opened up to replace the CCT.

Last edited by maniac1886; 03-14-2017 at 04:07 PM.
post #15 of 28 (permalink) Old 03-14-2017, 04:20 PM Thread Starter
Provisional Novice

Maniac you helped me too much thanks for helping i wii replace with OEM part but to be sure that i understend everything well could you put here picture of part which i have to replace ?
post #16 of 28 (permalink) Old 03-14-2017, 04:56 PM
Expert

Garage

Three pictures. Location. Cross Section Diagram for better understanding. What it looks like when its out.

You will need to buy a replacement gasket with the replacement CCT. They also say its best practice to remove the valve cover and zip tie to the cam chain to the cam sprockets so it doesnt fall out of time. Here is a video of a guy doing it.

I would recommend getting a copy of the service manual, and following the procedure in that.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Removed.jpg (29.9 KB, 14 views)
File Type: jpg Cross Section.jpg (43.1 KB, 14 views)
File Type: jpg Location.jpg (69.0 KB, 13 views)
post #17 of 28 (permalink) Old 03-15-2017, 01:10 AM Thread Starter
Provisional Novice

Thank you you even dont know how you helped me . So i know now what to change but i have 1 question now i am going to replace with OEM so i need just to remove air box and injection just to remove it and i will not open head cover of engine yes ? . And what about clutch cover ?

I have to remove cluch cover to drive engine and use marks or when i am installing and removing oem tensioner i dont need it and i can just remove and install without move cluch cover bolt ?

And when i will install oem tensioner do i have to adjust somthing on it or just screw 2 bolt installing it and it will adjust chain himself ?
post #18 of 28 (permalink) Old 03-15-2017, 01:27 AM
Captain Obvious ... because obviously itís obvious.

Motorcycle: 2006 GSXR "250"
Garage

If you don't know what you're doing, you should not touch that tensioner. You need to go on Youtube and learn how to install it AND tension it, otherwise you're going to have one very dead engine. And if you're not 100% confident, you should find a shop that IS and that has done this in the past. If they don't, one/both of the cams can jump a tooth(s) and create some very unpleasant issues for you.
deank69 likes this.
post #19 of 28 (permalink) Old 03-15-2017, 06:05 AM Thread Starter
Provisional Novice

Ye i will first learn before do somthing thanks nick . As i know if i will remove oem tensioner and replace it with new i dont need to open engine head and dont need to open cluch cover . Is it right ? I mean teeth will not move if i will only replace tensioner or it need procedures not to move teeth himself ?
post #20 of 28 (permalink) Old 03-15-2017, 06:55 AM
Expert

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Just_Nick View Post
If you don't know what you're doing, you should not touch that tensioner. You need to go on Youtube and learn how to install it AND tension it, otherwise you're going to have one very dead engine. And if you're not 100% confident, you should find a shop that IS and that has done this in the past. If they don't, one/both of the cams can jump a tooth(s) and create some very unpleasant issues for you.
I agree with this. this is not exactly a simple process. and the stakes are high. If something isnt done right, it could spell disaster. and be expensive. So that's my disclaimer.

Remove the tank
Remove the airbox
Pull the throttle bodies

**You will need a long ass phillips head screw driver to get to the throttle body clamps. Like, a 2ft screw driver.

Remove the Pair Valve
Pull the spark plugs and coils
Unbolt the top bolts of the radiator
Remove the plastic heatshield between the radiator and motor
You will likely have to unhook almost all the wires you see above the cylinder head cover
Remove cylinder head cover, unbolt and roll it forward towards the radiator and out of the frame (it wont come straight up, and is a literal bitch to get out.

**Be careful not to damage the rubber gasket under the cylinder head cover, or else it will seep oil once you get it back together.

Zip tie the cam chain to the camshaft sprockets. One zip tie on each to keep the chain from skipping teeth.
Remove Cam chain tensioner
Clean off any leftover gasket material
Install new gasket.
Install CCT

**Ive never actually installed an OEM replacement CCT on any bike. It's always been a manual one so I have no clue how to adjust it. You will need to do something to adjust it before you install it.**

Once you install the CCT, you will need to verify the chain slack is within the acceptable range.

I may have skipped a few thing that need to come out, but seriously dude, its not easy like an oil change. It takes a couple special tools, and a mechanical understanding of how the bike and top of the motor is assembled. I dont know your mechanical ability, or what your toolbox looks like, but since you were unsure of where it is even located, I assume minimal. Maybe you have a friend who has done stuff like this before who can help? I'd feel real bad if you hand grenade your motor trying to do this without the proper understanding.

2007 GSXR 750
PC III, Quick Shift, Yosh TRC-d Full System

1981 gs550t
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode