Tuning for decel popping - Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com
 7Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 26 (permalink) Old 11-22-2016, 04:54 PM Thread Starter
Track Day Winner

Tuning for decel popping

I have a power commander and would like to tune my bike for some decel popping. All the guides I have found online are how to tune to get rid of decel popping instead of tuning for it

If I understand this correctly, I should just modify the values for the 0% throttle row and add fuel? Everything from 2.5K RPM and above was at 0. I upped it to 12 and noticed no difference during decel. How high does it need to be? Bike is an 03 1000 so there is no cat. Just a long ass bolt on
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 26 (permalink) Old 11-22-2016, 05:10 PM
Amateur

Garage
Re: Tuning for decel popping

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtoth View Post
I have a power commander and would like to tune my bike for some decel popping. All the guides I have found online are how to tune to get rid of decel popping instead of tuning for it

If I understand this correctly, I should just modify the values for the 0% throttle row and add fuel? Everything from 2.5K RPM and above was at 0. I upped it to 12 and noticed no difference during decel. How high does it need to be? Bike is an 03 1000 so there is no cat. Just a long ass bolt on
Why the heck do you want decal popping? Piss off everyone around you?
AlanRush10 likes this.
post #3 of 26 (permalink) Old 11-23-2016, 01:22 AM
Expert

Motorcycle: 2008 GSXR 750

You can't tune for that...WTF...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 26 (permalink) Old 11-23-2016, 02:13 AM
Ex-Lady Supermod

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtoth View Post

post #5 of 26 (permalink) Old 11-23-2016, 04:03 AM

Location: In the garage, smoking one of Anthony D's cigars...
Motorcycle: None, gave them all to Anthony D...

You'll be able to find your answer here: GSXR.com

Take that squid shit over there and waste their time asking how to do dumb fucking shit like this. WTF x1,000,000
-JK750- likes this.
post #6 of 26 (permalink) Old 11-23-2016, 04:08 AM
Vegemite-eating Administrator...

Motorcycle: 2003 gsxr1000 ,2008 gsxr600 ,2002 gsxr750 ,2006 CBR1000RR ,2001 CBR1100xx ,2002 VTR1000f ,2002 SV650s

Wow this thread delivers ...

Aids

Last edited by 8you4t; 11-23-2016 at 04:13 AM.
post #7 of 26 (permalink) Old 11-23-2016, 05:04 AM
I know things... A lot of things.

Motorcycle: GSXR 750 K4

The correct title should read "De-tuning for deceleration pops", but anyway: As far as I can see, there would be three ways of getting pops during deceleration:

1. Excessively retard ignition timing and add fuel during closed throttle operation. This should allow unburnt fuel to enter the exhaust, together with air from your PAIR valves (assuming they haven't been blocked off), mimicking the anti-lag system on WRC machines, which I suppose is the intended goal. It would likely also mimic their reliability, at least where exhaust components (exhaust valves, headers, perhaps the can) are concerned, as I can't imagine the flaming hot gases will be very kind to them. One difference to the WRC case that should be pointed out, is that since GSXRs aren't turbocharged and don't suffer from lag, implementing an anti-lag system is entirely pointless.
  2. Significantly de-tune the AFR, that is enrich the charge, as leaning out would damage the engine, across the rpm band. Just doing this during closed throttle, as you did is likely not adequate, as unburnt fuel doesn't have time to collect in the exhaust manifold. What you need is the engine to operate badly, partly burning fuel, when it is loaded, that is, when the throttle is open, so that unburnt fuel collects there which can ignite when the throttle is closed, again assuming the PAIR system is operational. This is, as far as I can tell, what happens when you replace your exhaust with an aftermarket unit without tuning for the new setup.
  3. Alter the valve timing so that your exhaust vavles open early, dumping unburnt fuel into the exhaust where it can ignite with a bang. You will, of course, also lose compression, power and fuel efficiency in the process.

I hope the above illustrates why doing what you want to do, wastes fuel, deteriorates engine operation and reliability and basically converts a racing machine into a boom box, damaging it in the process.
post #8 of 26 (permalink) Old 11-23-2016, 05:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dpapavas View Post
The correct title should read "De-tuning for deceleration pops", but anyway: As far as I can see, there would be three ways of getting pops during deceleration:

1. Excessively retard ignition timing and add fuel during closed throttle operation. This should allow unburnt fuel to enter the exhaust, together with air from your PAIR valves (assuming they haven't been blocked off), mimicking the anti-lag system on WRC machines, which I suppose is the intended goal. It would likely also mimic their reliability, at least where exhaust components (exhaust valves, headers, perhaps the can) are concerned, as I can't imagine the flaming hot gases will be very kind to them. One difference to the WRC case that should be pointed out, is that since GSXRs aren't turbocharged and don't suffer from lag, implementing an anti-lag system is entirely pointless.
  2. Significantly de-tune the AFR, that is enrich the charge, as leaning out would damage the engine, across the rpm band. Just doing this during closed throttle, as you did is likely not adequate, as unburnt fuel doesn't have time to collect in the exhaust manifold. What you need is the engine to operate badly, partly burning fuel, when it is loaded, that is, when the throttle is open, so that unburnt fuel collects there which can ignite when the throttle is closed, again assuming the PAIR system is operational. This is, as far as I can tell, what happens when you replace your exhaust with an aftermarket unit without tuning for the new setup.
  3. Alter the valve timing so that your exhaust vavles open early, dumping unburnt fuel into the exhaust where it can ignite with a bang. You will, of course, also lose compression, power and fuel efficiency in the process.

I hope the above illustrates why doing what you want to do, wastes fuel, deteriorates engine operation and reliability and basically converts a racing machine into a boom box, damaging it in the process.
Or the OP can go buy an older,carb'd GSXR....whilst riding,hit the kill switch and while the engine is off,lock the throttle wide open for a few seconds,then flip the kill switch back on and BOOM POP BANG all the popping/explosions he wants. Even more effective doing it under a long overpass or even through a tunnel.
post #9 of 26 (permalink) Old 11-23-2016, 10:39 AM
I want Rossi to fuck my ass...

Motorcycle: K1 600

I dub thee, Sir Pop-alot
post #10 of 26 (permalink) Old 11-23-2016, 10:46 AM
Expert

Garage

Um... I thought deceleration popping was caused by a lean issue? Generally something you fix, not try to duplicate. Your just gunna ride around sounding like ur bike runs like horseshit.

I declare this a troll post. Maybe Frank da tank is back trying to rustle all you fag bags' feathers!
post #11 of 26 (permalink) Old 11-23-2016, 11:18 AM
!##NULL##!

Motorcycle: '05 GSX-R1000

Thank You All,

For such comical relief this morning at work!!!!

Some of those posts (keeps me from adding one), were f'n hilarious!1
post #12 of 26 (permalink) Old 11-23-2016, 11:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by maniac1886 View Post
Um... I thought deceleration popping was caused by a lean issue?

I believe that popping on decel is a rich issue as the popping is the extra fuel burning off. When mine would pop on decel i shot out a nice foot long blue flame and it reeked of fuel
post #13 of 26 (permalink) Old 11-23-2016, 11:47 AM
Expert

Motorcycle: 2011 gsxr750

Quote:
Originally Posted by bueshy View Post
I believe that popping on decel is a rich issue as the popping is the extra fuel burning off. When mine would pop on decel i shot out a nice foot long blue flame and it reeked of fuel

:
coopgt1 likes this.
post #14 of 26 (permalink) Old 11-23-2016, 11:59 AM
Expert

Garage

Maybe it is different on FI bikes. I've tuned carbed bikes to stop popping by richening the mix. I can provide cites supporting a lean condition and deceleration popping. BUT until now, all I've ever wrenched on is carbed bikes.
post #15 of 26 (permalink) Old 11-23-2016, 12:01 PM
Lifetime Premium

Motorcycle: K5 1000 & K1 750

Quote:
Maybe it is different on FI bikes. I've tuned carbed bikes to stop popping by richening the mix. I can provide cites supporting a lean condition and deceleration popping. BUT until now, all I've ever wrenched on is carbed bikes.
Lean mix makes more sense. Too rich mixture won't ignite and there's more popping when pair is operational - leaner mixture.

I have added a lot of fuel for decel fuel map cells (fuel cut disabled) and there's zero popping.
post #16 of 26 (permalink) Old 11-23-2016, 12:08 PM
Expert

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by bueshy View Post
I would consider that different than popping. After-fire maybe. To me that low popopop as you let out of the throttle has to do with the hot oxygen mixing with residual fuel in the exhaust system and igniting itself. It's common practice to jet a carburetor after an after-market exhaust is installed because it leans out the mix and the increase flow will induce a decel pop.
post #17 of 26 (permalink) Old 11-23-2016, 01:17 PM

Quote:
I would consider that different than popping. After-fire maybe. To me that low popopop as you let out of the throttle has to do with the hot oxygen mixing with residual fuel in the exhaust system and igniting itself.
Fair enough. We might be talking about different combustions and your explanation makes sense.

Quote:
Originally Posted by -JK750- View Post
Lean mix makes more sense. Too rich mixture won't ignite and there's more popping when pair is operational - leaner mixture
Great point. I had forgotten about the PAIR.

I believe I stand corrected. Thanks fellas
post #18 of 26 (permalink) Old 11-23-2016, 03:28 PM
Expert

Motorcycle: K4 1143, L2 1K
Garage

post #19 of 26 (permalink) Old 11-23-2016, 06:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JP1143 View Post
^^^^^ ^^^^^^
post #20 of 26 (permalink) Old 11-23-2016, 07:08 PM
Both Handsome AND Pretty!

Motorcycle: Dromaius Novaehollandiae

ALL YOU BITCHES BE WRONG!!!!

Popping is a street dance and one of the original funk styles that came from Fresno California during the late 1960s–1970s. The dance, first seen in the 1968 movie ''Chitty Chitty Bang Bang'' during a scene where actress and singer Sally Anne Howes acts as a music box doll, is based on the technique of quickly contracting and relaxing muscles to cause a jerk in the dancer's body, referred to as a pop or a hit. This is done continuously to the rhythm of a song in combination with various movements and poses.[1]
Closely related illusionary dance styles and techniques are often integrated into popping to create a more varied performance. These dance styles include the robot, waving and tutting. However, popping is distinct from breaking and locking, with which it is often confused. A popping dancer is commonly referred to as a popper.
As one of the earliest funk styles, popping is closely related to hip hop dancing. It is often performed in battles, where participants try to outperform each other in front of a crowd, giving room for improvisation and freestyle moves that are seldom seen in shows and performances, such as interaction with other dancers and spectators. Popping and related styles such as waving and tutting have also been incorporated into the electronica dance scene to some extent, influencing new styles such as liquid and digits and turfing. Popping is also some times performed at GDC camping trips on noobs who are under the influence of roofies.

President & founding Member of IACOGDC, Insensitive Asshole Club Of GDC
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Proudly Banned 1,000,001 times!! GDC world record holder for bannings! Oldfart is mildly retarded, be kind
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
_
Rest in peace Mom, you were the best, 3/16/30 - 10/16/15
RIP Brother Bill, 5/28/54-11/25/15
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode