Rocking problem on turns - Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 20 (permalink) Old 11-10-2016, 09:40 AM Thread Starter
Provisional Novice
 
Join Date: Oct 2016
Posts: 106
Rocking problem on turns

Hello. I have gixxer 1000. L2 When i am doing turns on high speed 60mile and more . Motorcycle ia rocking, (Waving)
For better explenation when you are in turn positon . Bike is going near to Road . And at this moment he starts to going UP side and then Down side , UP and again down. This is done fast and you you can say that motorcycle is rocking.

What should be the reason of it ?
Suzi1000 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 20 (permalink) Old 11-10-2016, 11:01 AM
I know things... A lot of things.
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Motorcycle: GSXR 750 K4
Posts: 3,047
Re: Rocking problem on turns

When you say "up and down" do you mean that the forks compress and extend, or that the steering head/bars turn left-to-right repeatedly?
dpapavas is offline  
post #3 of 20 (permalink) Old 11-10-2016, 11:10 AM
Expert
 
maniac1886's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Location: Flint, Mi
Posts: 2,088
Garage
Re: Rocking problem on turns

The most likely cause is loose/or worn steering head bearings, or a poorly configured suspension setup. Do you pop alot of wheelies?
maniac1886 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #4 of 20 (permalink) Old 11-10-2016, 12:04 PM
Guest
 
oldgixxer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2001
Location: In the garage, smoking one of Anthony D's cigars...
Motorcycle: None, gave them all to Anthony D...
Posts: 24,541
Re: Rocking problem on turns

My L3 scared the shit outta me a few times in the upper triple digits,going into long sweepers and accelerating hard,or when grabbing the brakes hard before a turn..whatever was going on,the chassis did not like it. Dialed in the suspension and problem solved. I honestly thought I was gonna dump it on 2 occasions.

If that's the case,OP is describing a tank-slapper scenario. My L3 was the only GSXR I've owned that has ever done this....and I've owned so many over the years I've lost count.
oldgixxer is offline  
post #5 of 20 (permalink) Old 11-10-2016, 01:12 PM Thread Starter
Provisional Novice
 
Join Date: Oct 2016
Posts: 106
Re: Rocking problem on turns

Thanks for Helping me to fix this issue

yes I am doing realy a lot of Wheelies , when turning motorcycle its doing the same thing like in This video , at 1:50 - 1:55 , but in this video motorcycle is Jumping and that's the reason of doing this , but when I am Turning my motorcycle does the same but of course I am not jumping from Road .


sorry for my English its quit poor , its like hends bar turns left -right then again left then again Right its like you have reverberation in your hands and motorcycle do the same . please I am realy scared from this problem I don't know how to fix it to be sure what Is my problem Open youtube video , and at 1:50 minute in video motorcycle is doing same thing but imagine that I have same situation without jumping motorcycle
Suzi1000 is offline  
post #6 of 20 (permalink) Old 11-10-2016, 01:26 PM
Expert
 
maniac1886's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Location: Flint, Mi
Posts: 2,088
Garage
Re: Rocking problem on turns

I call worn out head bearings. Wheelies take their toll on that part of the motorcycle. With worn bearings, it provides a little wiggle room between the front end and the frame, and that wiggle usually translates to a wavy feeling turn.
maniac1886 is offline  
post #7 of 20 (permalink) Old 11-10-2016, 04:11 PM Thread Starter
Provisional Novice
 
Join Date: Oct 2016
Posts: 106
Thanks i also checked pressure on wheels and its good 2.9 rear . 2.4 fron. Also try susspesion to tight a bite more but same . So i its sighn of lossen bearings or to tight ? And how to chechk if bearings is ok or not ?
Suzi1000 is offline  
post #8 of 20 (permalink) Old 11-10-2016, 05:11 PM
Expert
 
maniac1886's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Location: Flint, Mi
Posts: 2,088
Garage
Re: Rocking problem on turns

This should help

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcdozer44 View Post
With the front suspended stand in front of the bike. Grab the forks closer to the bottom. Push towards the bike and pull away back and forth. You shouldn't have any play in that direction. If there is play or slop then the bearings are worn, possibly shot.

Rotating the steering back and forth, there should be a bit of drag. It shouldn't turn completely freely, but it should still be smooth. You should be able to slighty feel the bearings working.

You could just tighten the head nut to get by for a while. If it were my bike I would just replace them.

To tighten it:
Remove the forks
Remove the top yoke nut and washer
Remove the top triple
Now you will see the 2 stem nuts
You need a special tool or you can try to improvise with a spanner wrench or something
Remove the first lock nut and washer
Tighten the steering head nut to about 50 ft-lbs
Rotate the steering stem back and forth about 5 times to try to re-seat the bearings
Back the nut off 1\2 turn
Rotate the steering stem an see how it feels. It should have a little bit of drag but should feel smooth
If it's good, put the washer back, and tighten the lock nut. I don't have a manual w me but I think the lock nut is supposed to be somewhere around 65 ft-lbs
Reinstall the top trip hand tight
Reinstall the forks without tightening the top trip pinch bolts
Tighten the top yoke nut. Again, check the manual for torque
Tighten the top pinch bolts

To replace bearings:
Once you take the lock nut and washer off
Remove the stem head nut and the steering stem will drop out the bottom
Remove the upper dust cover and seal
Remove the upper bearing and upper inner race...the lower bearing will be on the stem
On the stem, remove the bottom inner race and seal
On the frame, remove the upper and lower outer races
On the stem, install a new bottom seal and inner race
Place the bottom bearing (pack it w grease first) on the stem and bottom race
Install new upper and lower outer races on the frame
Install the stem from the bottom and hold it up as you
Install the upper bearing (pack it w grease first)
Install the upper inner race
Install the upper seal and dust cover
Tighten the steering stem nut as above, to seat the bearings
Move the steering stem back and forth a few times
Back it off 1/4-1/2 turn and follow the above to put it back together
maniac1886 is offline  
post #9 of 20 (permalink) Old 11-10-2016, 05:13 PM
I know things... A lot of things.
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Motorcycle: GSXR 750 K4
Posts: 3,047
Re: Rocking problem on turns

Try measuring your race sag, especially at the front. Do the forks dive a lot, even under moderate braking? Are you taking care not to grip the bars too tight, or support your weight on them?
dpapavas is offline  
post #10 of 20 (permalink) Old 11-10-2016, 07:06 PM Thread Starter
Provisional Novice
 
Join Date: Oct 2016
Posts: 106
Re: Rocking problem on turns

tomorrow I will measuring this Race sag and I will check bearings, but can anyone told me whats the reason of remove hands on my hand bar and motorcycle goes left side whats the reason of doing it ? so bike is not going straight it turns left .
is this problem cuse of first problem also ?
Suzi1000 is offline  
post #11 of 20 (permalink) Old 11-12-2016, 05:50 AM Thread Starter
Provisional Novice
 
Join Date: Oct 2016
Posts: 106
Yesterday almost crash i had wobbling i dont know but i feel motorcycle have some problem thats the reason of my first time wobbling . is it possible that my electric demper does not works ?
Suzi1000 is offline  
post #12 of 20 (permalink) Old 11-12-2016, 05:54 AM
Guest
 
oldgixxer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2001
Location: In the garage, smoking one of Anthony D's cigars...
Motorcycle: None, gave them all to Anthony D...
Posts: 24,541
Re: Rocking problem on turns

Did you buy this bike brand new or was it used? Has it been crashed?
oldgixxer is offline  
post #13 of 20 (permalink) Old 11-12-2016, 06:59 PM
I know things... A lot of things.
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Motorcycle: GSXR 750 K4
Posts: 3,047
Re: Rocking problem on turns

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suzi1000 View Post
tomorrow I will measuring this Race sag and I will check bearings, but can anyone told me whats the reason of remove hands on my hand bar and motorcycle goes left side whats the reason of doing it ? so bike is not going straight it turns left .
is this problem cuse of first problem also ?
That sounds like something in the front end is either bent or not properly put together. On the other hand, it could also conceivably be an indication of worn head bearings I suppose, but they'd have to be pretty badly worn.
dpapavas is offline  
post #14 of 20 (permalink) Old 11-12-2016, 07:23 PM Thread Starter
Provisional Novice
 
Join Date: Oct 2016
Posts: 106
Bike was used it have 4200 mile . Never crashed even does not have any scratch on it . Fork adjastment was wrong absolutly from manual . Now i adjusted them like in manual . Is it possible that i had wobbling becous of wrong adjust of forks ? How can i see head bearing have problem or not ?
Suzi1000 is offline  
post #15 of 20 (permalink) Old 11-13-2016, 03:48 AM
Guest
 
oldgixxer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2001
Location: In the garage, smoking one of Anthony D's cigars...
Motorcycle: None, gave them all to Anthony D...
Posts: 24,541
Re: Rocking problem on turns

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suzi1000 View Post
. Fork adjastment was wrong absolutly from manual . Now i adjusted them like in manual . Is it possible that i had wobbling becous of wrong adjust of forks ?
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldgixxer View Post
My L3 scared the shit outta me a few times....the chassis did not like it. Dialed in the suspension and problem solved..
Like I said in post #4,try adjusting the suspension properly. Here is a link which I used to get my L3 dialed in;the settings in the link were very close,all I did was fine tune them:
Suggested Sport Bike Motorcycle Suspension Settings | Sport Rider

Scroll down towards the bottom and you'll find your bike. Go from there...
oldgixxer is offline  
post #16 of 20 (permalink) Old 11-13-2016, 07:03 AM
!##NULL##!
 
Join Date: Jun 2016
Location: I'm a Texan, living in Franklin WI.
Motorcycle: '05 GSX-R1000
Posts: 1,136
Re: Rocking problem on turns

I was thinking tire pressure, you said you checked that.

Then I was thinking steering dampner.

Then I was wondering why your bike would go left when you take your hands off?
Is the rear wheel straight? When I take my hands off my K5 Liter, it goes perfectly straight.
Like the rider

??
Todd_Sails is offline  
post #17 of 20 (permalink) Old 11-22-2016, 09:07 PM
Track Day Winner
 
Join Date: Aug 2016
Posts: 50
Re: Rocking problem on turns

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldgixxer View Post
My L3 scared the shit outta me a few times in the upper triple digits,going into long sweepers and accelerating hard,or when grabbing the brakes hard before a turn..whatever was going on,the chassis did not like it. Dialed in the suspension and problem solved. I honestly thought I was gonna dump it on 2 occasions.

If that's the case,OP is describing a tank-slapper scenario. My L3 was the only GSXR I've owned that has ever done this....and I've owned so many over the years I've lost count.
I am sort of experiencing this with my 2003 1000 right now. The bike just doesn't respond like I expect it to and it doesn't feel very planted. It's hard to explain. I am basing it on how I feel when I ride my 600 which has the weight a lot lower and more centered (it feels like it anyway) and is also wider overall. The 1000 feels a lot more top heavy with the weight forward and also feels a lot thinner/more narrow.

I dunno. Maybe I just need to get used to it.

I'll mess around with the suspension over winter.
mtoth is offline  
post #18 of 20 (permalink) Old 11-27-2016, 08:05 PM Thread Starter
Provisional Novice
 
Join Date: Oct 2016
Posts: 106
Re: Rocking problem on turns

so I adjusted suspension like its written on Manual . but everything same , I can explane better what happens , When I am Turning hard , motorcycle is shaking , somone told that mabe reason is my tires because mabe my rear tire is slips and that's the reason of it , but I am not sure , because I am not using trothle when turning and why tire will slip ? and also its not doing this everytime when I am turning , its doing it only when I am turning hard , motorcycle starts to shake up and down,
Suzi1000 is offline  
post #19 of 20 (permalink) Old 11-28-2016, 06:19 AM
Guest
 
oldgixxer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2001
Location: In the garage, smoking one of Anthony D's cigars...
Motorcycle: None, gave them all to Anthony D...
Posts: 24,541
Re: Rocking problem on turns

I suggest mounting a Go-Pro camera or something similar,make a short vid of what happens whilst you're riding. I think it will be much easier to diagnose if we can see what is going on.
oldgixxer is offline  
post #20 of 20 (permalink) Old 11-29-2016, 05:56 AM
I know things... A lot of things.
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Motorcycle: GSXR 750 K4
Posts: 3,047
Re: Rocking problem on turns

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suzi1000 View Post
so I adjusted suspension like its written on Manual . but everything same , I can explane better what happens , When I am Turning hard , motorcycle is shaking , somone told that mabe reason is my tires because mabe my rear tire is slips and that's the reason of it , but I am not sure , because I am not using trothle when turning and why tire will slip ? and also its not doing this everytime when I am turning , its doing it only when I am turning hard , motorcycle starts to shake up and down,
Setting the suspension according to manual doesn't mean much, as the settings there apply to whatever rider they had in mind when designing the bike. The suspension parameters that mostly apply to your problem, should be sag (and hence preload and spring rate) and perhaps compression damping. My reasoning for singling those out, is that sag (and preload/rate) dictates trail and rake in steady-state, while insufficient damping can lower it further as load is added, say during braking or turn entry.

Depending on what you mean by "hard turning" though, your problem might also be, in part at least, due to input error. If you push too hard on the bars you're going to get more sideslip than the tires can handle and the front wheel will start to slide, partially at least. This is exacerbated by a short trail, as when your sag is too much or the suspension is too soft and/or under-damped and dives excessively.
dpapavas is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in










Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome