Help with bike not starting - Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 11-09-2016, 03:11 PM Thread Starter
Squid

Help with bike not starting

I could use some guidance on fixing and troubleshooting my bike. It's an 05 GSXR1000.

Here is the situation:
I tipped over about 4 months ago. Stator cover broke so I replaced it. Everything fine bike runs.
Road bike off and on then had surgery on my foot, so I couldn't ride for a month.
Battery was old and dead so I got a new one. Replaced battery and now the bike won't start.I can hear the fuel pump but no clicking from the starter.

Engine cut-off works. When I switch it off and on, I can hear the fuel pump turning on.
I've ensured that the bike is in neutral if the kick stand is down, and I've even kept the bike in neutral, put the kick stand up, and pulled in the clutch, toggle the engine-cutoff to on, I hear the fuel pump, I then press the starter button, the headlight dims but no sound from the starter.

I've tried bump starting it in 2nd. Got it up to 8mph, dropped the clutch and pressed the starter (not sure if that is even necessary) but no luck. The back tire just locks up. Now I know this is bad sign but this bike does have a slipper clutch so maybe that has something to do with it? I have not tried jump starting in 3rd gear but I can if you think that will help.

Before taking it to the shop I'd like at least get some advice from you all. Should I replace the starter relay? I am happy to throw some money at this before I take it to the shop but I'd like some advice on that. Thanks in advance.

tldr. I can hear the fuel pump turn on but no clicking from the starter, not a sound. The headlight dims when I press the start button so I don't think that the button is the problem. I did replace the stator cover several months ago and the bike worked fine until it sat for a month.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 11-09-2016, 06:45 PM
Amateur

Garage
Re: Help with bike not starting

If you dont have a hand held volt meter, you need to get one.
Anyone with a bike should have one, I've seen simple cheap ones with leads for 10 dollars.

With a volt meter you need to measure battery voltage with bike off, then turn on the key and see where it levels out.
If it falls to basically nothing, your battery is crap.
If its 12.5 or higher with only a volt or so drop with key on, check your clutch switch.
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 11-11-2016, 04:34 AM
You should listen to me. No, seriously, listen to me.

Motorcycle: Blue 2006 GSX-R1000

+1 on the meter except that it ought to be a multimeter, not just a voltmeter. Without one, you might as well take it to the dealer.

See the diagram on 9-21 of the service manual. It sounds like either the clutch switch or the starter button is acting up. Should be easy to track down. The O/W lead can be monitored at the dealer mode connector on non-immobilizer bikes. It sounds like yours is working at least that far as it's also involved with the fuel pump.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 11-12-2016, 07:33 PM Thread Starter
Squid

Thanks guys, I got a multi-meter and I"ll test the clutch-switch and starter button. I'll let you know how it goes.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode