need help: which gsx-r 1000 to get - Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com
 11Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 32 (permalink) Old 09-26-2016, 02:56 PM Thread Starter
Squid

need help: which gsx-r 1000 to get

Howdy. I know i'm beating a dead horse, but I feel i've done my share of research on the topic, yet still wanted to get some more clarifying thoughts to help make a decision

First up - a little about me: I'm 6'1", 190lbs. I've been riding bikes for several years on-and-off, mostly friend's bikes. Early this year, picked up a 1st gen SV650S as my first bike to really get some riding time on with a goal of 4-5,000 miles before moving on to something more serious that i'd own for much longer. Getting close to that goal, would love to stay with suzuki family and am seriously considering the GSX-R 1000 as the successor to the SV...

So the question is - which year? From my research, seems that a whole lot of praises got to K5-K6 gen. My only concern - I want to get something newer (funds aren't too critical here - i can spare an extra $1-2K for a newer bike).

But it seems like starting with K7, reviews tend to turn more negative, mostly claiming to technology getting stale while competition (honda, yamaha, kawasaki) continuously advance...

So i had a few questions, and all in all would just welcome some advice...

1) For K7-K8 seems like the added weight due to dual exhaust is one of the biggest culprits... is it fair to say that getting an aftermarket single can would pretty much solve the difference from the earlier generation? Or are there other significant differences between those generations?

2) I've seen a few rave reviews on the revamped K9 which seems like has gotten quite a significant redesign... how does it compare to the K5-K6 generation? Besides the similar dual exhaust (i believe) issue, is there still significant upside to the earlier generation bikes?

All in all - any other advice would be welcome as well. Given that test rides are much tougher with the bikes compared to cars, a lot has to go from presumptions

Thanks in advance for any feedback!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 32 (permalink) Old 09-26-2016, 03:21 PM

Location: In the garage, smoking one of Anthony D's cigars...
Motorcycle: None, gave them all to Anthony D...
Re: need help: which gsx-r 1000 to get

I had an L3,was buzzy and I didn't like the handling/brakes/chassis compared to any of my K5/6's. K7 weight difference was mostly due to dual exhaust.

Hard for any one person to convince you on which bike to get based on their opinion. Some folks love their K9-L6 1K's;I'd buy a good condition,low mileage,original K5-K8 in a split second before I bought another K9-L6 1000.
HeJason likes this.
post #3 of 32 (permalink) Old 09-26-2016, 08:04 PM
I make movies!

Motorcycle: 2004 SV650R--SOLD!, 2008 GSX-R1000

First.... ride that SV650 for 20k... then come back. 5k is not enough experience for moving to a bike with 100 more horsepower. Its like moving from a Miata to a Viper. Seriously.

I put 48k on my SV650 before I sold it and bought my K8 1000.

Secondly, I've had my K8 1000 for 8 years and nearly 25,000 miles and it has been bullet proof.

I took off the fugly dual exhaust and cat for a 7.3lb single sided Yosh Japan slip on that took nearly 28lbs off the bike. That right there was worth every penny. Just pushing it around was like the light little SV again.

I'm still madly in love with this bike. I go to the Long Beach motorcycle show every year and never see anything I want to replace her with. Well, that is worth the money anyway... that Panigale is pure sex.

Instead I just spent some cash on full Ohlins suspension, Brembo brakes and Marchesini wheel upgrade for less than 1/2 the cost of a new Ducati with OEM components.

As far as "stale tech" etc... unless you are a serious racer, just forget that noise. Most likely you will never come close to touching what this bike is capable of, and you'll still have a blast!

About the only thing that has me curious is the 2017 model, which I will have to see and ride before I call it a worthy successor to the K7/8. But its pretty damned expensive for a gixxer (I paid 10.5k OTD for my K8 brand new!) And I don't need traction control, launch control, ABS and all that other techy stuff... the extra HP would be nice for bragging rights, but I'm not a racer, just a street and canyon rider, and occasional track day guy. I'd rather have the high end brakes and suspension that I've bought than any of the OEM stuff... and a bigger motor is wasted on me.
marcadamski likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 32 (permalink) Old 09-26-2016, 08:15 PM
MotoGP

Motorcycle: Whatever oldgixxer has in his garage...
Garage

I agree, jumping from an SV650 to a GSX-R1000 isn't that great of a choice.

With that being said, the K5-K6 is the most sought-after generation.
post #5 of 32 (permalink) Old 09-26-2016, 09:38 PM Thread Starter
Squid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Novadesigns View Post
First.... ride that SV650 for 20k... then come back. 5k is not enough experience for moving to a bike with 100 more horsepower. Its like moving from a Miata to a Viper. Seriously.
Believe it or not, I did expect that sort of a reply at some point

I am too actually a bit concerned about the jump... it's hard to judge the scope of how different those two worlds are from the sidelines... it just feels that getting and R600 will not get that much of a delta and R750 costs right along the lines as R1000 around where i'm at...

that said - i did move from an RSX Type-S to a supercharged C6 vette in a matter of 2 years
but then handling a high hp car is definitely still easier.

I certainly will take that note into consideration. I must say I'm just now getting comfortable utilizing the full SV650s power potential, and i still have ways to go on the handling aspect. I am considering strongly taking it to a track in the very near term (assuming weather still allows). The other bikes under my belt are DR650 and KLR650 which obviously are even less powerful

Thanks for all the advice. keep them coming!
post #6 of 32 (permalink) Old 09-26-2016, 10:34 PM
Both Handsome AND Pretty!

Motorcycle: Dromaius Novaehollandiae

I would be very concerned about the jump right to a 1000. It's hard to put into words how much of a skill/reaction jump it takes to go from your SV to a liter bike. The 1000 will; very easily spin up the rear tire & powerslide, the 1000 can very easily flip over backwards from the power, even at well over 100 mph, the 1000 will shock/surprise the hell out of you as it gets into the meat of it's powerband. I would not suggest it. You will surely find people who will tell you it's fine, but it's not a good idea. It can easily fuck up your world with possible mistakes in riding technique until you get used to the power, that could come & bite you in the ass. At the very least, be VERY wary if you decide to take the jump. Hard, high speed wrecks are no fun at all!

President & founding Member of IACOGDC, Insensitive Asshole Club Of GDC
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Proudly Banned 1,000,001 times!! GDC world record holder for bannings! Oldfart is mildly retarded, be kind
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
_
Rest in peace Mom, you were the best, 3/16/30 - 10/16/15
RIP Brother Bill, 5/28/54-11/25/15

Last edited by oldfart01; 09-27-2016 at 07:50 AM.
post #7 of 32 (permalink) Old 09-26-2016, 11:32 PM
Amateur

Motorcycle: gsxr k8 1000

I have owned the 01, 04 and 07 1000. broke the 01 in a head on crash, sold the 04 after 140000kms and not a single problem, just turned 130000kms on my 07 and had not a problem with it. the 01 was the heaviest, the 04 was the most comffy for long distance but the 07 is a very close second. git rid of the twin smoke stacks from the 07 and save yerself some tonnage.. ya wont go wrong with any of these skooters, just be careful when twisting the "loud-handle" and ya will be fine and let common sense rule..
post #8 of 32 (permalink) Old 09-27-2016, 08:43 AM
Amateur

Motorcycle: ZX-10R
Garage

Personally if you are going to get a liter bike I would not go Suzuki at all.

Sure the K5-K6 are highly sought after but those bikes are >10years old now and have zero rider aids on them.

Get a newer liter bike from Kawi or Yamaha that has ABS and traction control.
oldgixxer likes this.
post #9 of 32 (permalink) Old 09-27-2016, 12:08 PM

Location: In the garage, smoking one of Anthony D's cigars...
Motorcycle: None, gave them all to Anthony D...

Quote:
Originally Posted by TennisFreak View Post

Sure the K5-K6 are highly sought after but those bikes are >10years old now and have zero rider aids on them.

This is a very good point,if you feel that you want as many electronic rider aid's as possible then definitely do not go Suzuki. Unless you wanna wait for the L7,which *should* have all the latest&greatest electronics
post #10 of 32 (permalink) Old 09-27-2016, 04:39 PM
Chubby Chaser

Motorcycle: 2005 GSXR-1000 (track), 2006 GSXR-600 (track/race)

Quote:

If you want rider aids get the newer gen R1. Also, as a street rider those rider aids are far more suited to a racer on the track treading the edge of traction....not someone tooling around on public streets.
oldgixxer likes this.
post #11 of 32 (permalink) Old 09-27-2016, 05:02 PM
Captain Obvious ... because obviously itís obvious.

Motorcycle: 2006 GSXR "250"
Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPL170db View Post
If you want rider aids get the newer gen R1. Also, as a street rider those rider aids are far more suited to a racer on the track treading the edge of traction....not someone tooling around on public streets.
ABS is kind of a big deal on the street.
post #12 of 32 (permalink) Old 09-27-2016, 05:29 PM
Chubby Chaser

I've never missed it.
Carnage likes this.
post #13 of 32 (permalink) Old 09-27-2016, 05:47 PM
I want Rossi to fuck my ass...

Motorcycle: K1 600

Why is a 600 not an option?
post #14 of 32 (permalink) Old 09-27-2016, 11:03 PM
Soberz again

Motorcycle: 2006 GSX-R1000
Garage

Quote:

You're missing the point. One of the reasons most folks still love the older 1000s is because they have zero rider aids. Just man and machine. It's also the last fully analog literbike Suzuki will ever make. The k5/K6 that is.

Not saying the new gizmo bikes aren't great but all of the electro aids should not be a substitute for years/miles of experience and plain old fashioned riding ability.

Sent from my SM-T700 using Tapatalk
post #15 of 32 (permalink) Old 09-28-2016, 09:24 AM
Amateur

Garage

The thing about the new bikes is you get all the engine, chassis, and handling improvements made over the last decade.

Sure the electronic aids are there but you can turn them off if needed.

And those electronic aids do have their place and can help you even commuting around on the street.

OP remarked he wanted something newer so I was just addressing that I guess.

If you are patient and a smart shopper you can find killer deals on newer or even brand new liter bikes.

I did on the zx-10 I'm riding. It cost me less than my 600 did, lol.
post #16 of 32 (permalink) Old 09-28-2016, 09:52 AM
Chubby Chaser

Quote:
The thing about the new bikes is you get all the engine, chassis, and handling improvements made over the last decade.

....and if your intent is to use it predominantly on the racetrack then I'd say go for it. Now bear in mind I'm not necessarily advocating for eschewing the purchase of new bikes in favor of sticking solely with older used ones. If more people buy more new bikes that's a good thing for us all. When the new bike markets are in a slump and dealers aren't moving them off showrooms then that's bad for everyone. Profits go down, development slows and manufacturers are going to be less likely to put resources into advancing the platform.

But having said that, keep things in perspective. Chassis, engine, handling, electronic advancements are enhancements that are 90%+ only going to be realized when the bike is being pushed on the racetrack. The type of riding I see the overwhelming majority of people doing on the street is not coming anywhere close to pushing the limits of a modern (or even decade+ old) sport bike. Do you think tooling around on a backroad or commuting down the highway you'd be able to detect the millimeters difference in chassis geometry between a 2005 and a 2017 GSXR 1000? I doubt it, the biggest difference you might feel is probably the difference in seating position or the shape of the gas tank for the typical street rider. On the racetrack when I took the very same bike (an 06 600) and made a 5mm change in rear and front ride height I could immediately tell a difference in how the bike responded......at high speed on the edge of sliding the rear tire coming off corners. Rolling around through the pits I couldn't tell a thing.

but again, the question that was asked by the OP was in reference to older gen GSXR-1000. When asking these types of questions it really does help to give a frame a reference because there is a world of difference between what Joe Streetrider Hero thinks is fast and "pushing the bike" on his local backroad, and what is fast on track (even on track there's enormous variation between novice trackday rider and expert racer).
Carnage and RuthlessTeddybear like this.

"I never drive faster than I can see...besides that it's all in the reflexes."
-Jack Burton

CCS AM #478
post #17 of 32 (permalink) Old 09-28-2016, 01:28 PM
Amateur

Garage

How about OP you give us the budget of what you want to spend, that would be a great place to know what is even possible.

Under $10-11k then you need to be looking at used bikes.

Under $6k then you need to be looking at bike 8+ years old.
post #18 of 32 (permalink) Old 09-28-2016, 01:45 PM Thread Starter
Squid

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPL170db View Post
but again, the question that was asked by the OP was in reference to older gen GSXR-1000. When asking these types of questions it really does help to give a frame a reference because there is a world of difference between what Joe Streetrider Hero thinks is fast and "pushing the bike" on his local backroad, and what is fast on track (even on track there's enormous variation between novice trackday rider and expert racer).
Well it's a moving target here now... Originally I was just planning getting a bike for general fun times... but now that I'm getting more and more used to it and comfortable in riding - I'm getting more and more track oriented thoughts... maybe i'm wrong, but it seems track/racing a bike at peak performance is much easier and more fun than cars - given the same fun/money ratio.

So there is a good chance I will end up often tracking the bike. It seems to require much less monetary investments and maintenance, as well as time dedication.

Thinking in street/track balance terms now... that said, I'm probably not in the camp of requiring peak-performance assistance tools anytime soon...
Other thought that keep crossing now is keeping the SV650s for maybe another year, and that would shift the litterbike age another year forward as well.
post #19 of 32 (permalink) Old 09-28-2016, 01:48 PM Thread Starter
Squid

Quote:
How about OP you give us the budget of what you want to spend, that would be a great place to know what is even possible.

Under $10-11k then you need to be looking at used bikes.

Under $6k then you need to be looking at bike 8+ years old.
I'd say right now i'm in the sub-$8K range. In my region, I'm seeing K5-6 in the $5-6K range, K9 closer to $7k
Wasn't looking further since seems that word-of-mouth performance was deteriorating...
post #20 of 32 (permalink) Old 09-28-2016, 02:14 PM
Amateur

Garage

Those prices are similar to my area.

So with that into consideration, personally, I'd opt for finding a great condition K5-6 at a great price.

K9 wont get you anything except less money in your pocket.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode