Eliminate the fender eliminator? - Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By kwaka10r

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-21-2016, 11:08 AM Thread Starter
Track Day Winner

Motorcycle: 2002 GSXR1000K2
Eliminate the fender eliminator?

I bet I'm outside the normal here, but, on this GSXR 1000 I just got, I'm kinda wanting to put the stock rear tail-lamp, fender, and turn signals back...

The rear end looks cool as is: it's got LED lamps that sorta look like C3P-O's eyes for tail lights, where the outside-most side of each "eye" is the respective turn signal. It got me past state inspection this way, as technically it works. And, did I already say, it does look damn cool. C-L-E-A-N!!!

-BUT-
The nerdy side of me is evaluating it's performance as a tail-light/turn signal/fender: The LEDs seem to be OK as just rear marker lights, but there is not much extra brightness when the brake is applied.. Considering the range of people we're all sharing the road with, I'm not sure all of them would immediately know "Oh- he's got his brakes on! Let me act accordingly" Same with the turn signals. And, with the LED turn signals, the lamps flash too fast. I know there's a couple ways to fix that (different flasher relay, or resistors) but still. How far to go down the rabbit hole?

Also, if I do run into some rain, how well will the little ducky fender that is riding just above the rear wheel prevent a strip of filth water from painting my back? Finally, the tag is held at a stupid angle, and just looks like a bodge job.

I know many people eliminate fenders- I'm totally not knocking their personal preference.. I'm just currently leaning towards going back to stock for the reasoning mentioned above. Anyone else done this? Thoughts?

Jason

Last edited by Anthony D; 08-22-2016 at 04:47 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-21-2016, 11:22 AM
Soberz again

Motorcycle: 2006 GSX-R1000
Garage
Re: Eliminate the fender eliminator?

Yeah...that Euro tail (as they called it) was very popular on that gen Gixxer. I had the same setup on my 750. Not sure why the original owner left the bungee hooks on there like that. Sort of defeats the purpose of getting the ass end as clean as possible.

That bike didn't come with a rear hugger, nor does it need one. If you get caught in the rain the dirt will get thrown towards your undertail if you still have it installed or your battery tray/trunk space if you don't.

Good luck finding someone with the original rear fender setup. You're on your own on that one.

I'd rather ride and control an Analog bike than ride and be controlled by a Digital one.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-21-2016, 01:11 PM
You should listen to me. No, seriously, listen to me.

Motorcycle: Blue 2006 GSX-R1000

I see that PUIG makes a rear hugger for K1-K4. It looks somewhat bulky on ebay but I've never seen one in person.

The federal requirement for rear turn signals is that they have a 9" c-c minimum separation. Some states check this and will fail you if it isn't met. There's also a 3Ĺ sq. in. minimum area requirement. See Bugman's experiences.

Resistors always seemed like something to avoid IMO.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-21-2016, 10:22 PM
!##NULL##!

Motorcycle: K1 1000, K7 750

I have the OEM rear fender on my K1 1K and K7 750.

It's more functional when you get caught in the rain. Before I had it on the 750 my back and back pack used to get covered in sand and dirt.

Plus I like my K1 looking like and old dorky 1000, so when an S1000RR or ZX10R gives me a run, they just get to see that big fat ugly fender pulling away in front of them
oldfogey likes this.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-22-2016, 07:01 AM Thread Starter
Track Day Winner

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwaka10r View Post
I have the OEM rear fender on my K1 1K and K7 750.

It's more functional when you get caught in the rain. Before I had it on the 750 my back and back pack used to get covered in sand and dirt.

Plus I like my K1 looking like and old dorky 1000, so when an S1000RR or ZX10R gives me a run, they just get to see that big fat ugly fender pulling away in front of them
Yeah man! That's what I'm talking about! I scored an original taillight assembly at the cycle junkyard this weekend, but they didn't have any un-chopped fenders. Hope I can find one.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-22-2016, 07:52 AM
MotoGP

Motorcycle: Whatever oldgixxer has in his garage...
Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharkey7743 View Post
Yeah man! That's what I'm talking about! I scored an original taillight assembly at the cycle junkyard this weekend, but they didn't have any un-chopped fenders. Hope I can find one.
If you become a site supporter you gain access to our classifieds sections...
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-22-2016, 09:21 AM

Location: In the garage, smoking one of Anthony D's cigars...
Motorcycle: None, gave them all to Anthony D...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony D View Post
Yes,I know I've seen a few posted for sale
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-22-2016, 05:59 PM Thread Starter
Track Day Winner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony D View Post
Aha! Get this- when I became a site supporter, now I have access to the classified sections! :-)

All jokes aside: Sorry about that Anthony- newbie exuberance got the best of me! My fault for not reading the new user rules more carefully!

Jason
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode