Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner

02 750 frame 04 1000 motor.

862 views 12 replies 3 participants last post by  IridiumRed 
#1 ·
alright gsxr fans here is what i found. i have honda running through my blood but i have found a offer i cant refuse and i wanted to see what everyone thought. basically it was a race bike that has slowly been converted back to street. it has a 02 750 frame, with 04 1000 engine, ecu. and 04 750 fairings. i havent rode the bike yet so i dunno bout the geometry of the bike or how it handles. but i know the 750 frame is a little lighter and it should be a good street bike with this combo, my major questions are, has anybody done this, and what do you think? and when i go pick up the bike what should i be looking for as far as problems?

thanks
ricky

#2 ·
#1, I'd MAKE SURE that it really is a 1000 in there!!!

People say all sorts of crazy shit. There are some liars out there who just want to rip you off, and then there are some people so stupid they really might THINK there is a 1000 motor in there.... when its actually a 750

BY FAR The easiest way to tell the 1000 motor from the 750 is that the 1000 has a big bulge on the engine cases above the oil filter - that bulge has a plug about 1" in diameter on the left side as well. That bulge holds the counterbalancer (and 600's, 750's never have this)

Overall, a 750/1000 can be fun. I'd check the bike over carefully, look to see the quality of workmanship; does it look whomever did it really knew what they were doing?? Or does it look all hacked together???

If the job looks half-assed, I'd worry. You never know what ELSE was done to the bike half-assed

How much is being asked for the bike?? Unfortunately (for the seller) a motor transplant like that rarely brings much more money. I wouldn't pay much more for the bike with the 1000 motor than what it would be worth with the 750 motor ......... because for not much more money you could probably get a bike that was ORIGINALLY a 1000.... and have a lot fewer problems / hassles

(I say that last point b/c some people would say, hey, I spent 2 grand putting that motor in, so the bike should be worth at least a grand more, right ???)

One other thing, if you aren't good at working on things, I'd probably pass on the bike. Stuff like this... .always gets to be work to maintain it. It will nickle and dime you to death to have someone else do it...... be honest to yourself about your skill level, or you may regret it later

#3 ·
i appreciate it. the bluge with plug i will definitely check out when i go look at the bike. and i am going to go through the bike with a fine tooth comb to say the least. and i am not too worried about maintenance i love to be hands on. the price is 2k but, no title i also checked out the vin. no leins and not been stolen, so i can get a title pretty easily.

#6 ·
Cool!

Let us know how it goes.

Feel free to take pics of the bike and show them to us if you have any question. In the end, its your bike, but we're happy to help if we can :)

(when it comes to buying bikes & working on stuff, I've learned the hard way and made about every mistake a guy could..... I do a lot better now, but if I can help someone avoid the same problems I always try :)

#8 ·
Is that an R1 tail ?? It looks.... different

EDIT -

What sort of racing was it used for? Drag racing I presume?? I'm guessing that since they mention a "fuel cut off switch"

Also, I dont see sliders on the bike.... which you'd normally see on a road race bike (unless this is a different set of bodywork than it was raced with...)

IF IT WERE ME BUYING THIS BIKE.... one thing I'd do is pull the ECU out and check to see what the part # is. I THINK the 1000 will run with a 750 ECU... but it wont ever run to its potential (timing is wrong), and it can rev dangerously high

If I pulled the ECU, and the part # wasn't for a 750, I'd be worried that A), the guy doesn't know what he's doing, or B) he's hiding other stuff

Another thing - check it carefully for crash damage. Look for any wrinkles on the frame. Look for steering stops that have been whacked hard. See how much stiction the front forks have - if they are really stiff, it could be binding up front due to tweaked forks

OVERALL - heres my advice. If you ONLY have 2 grand, dont buy this bike. I wouldn't buy this bike unless I had an extra grand in cash in reserve. That way if you get it and find some hidden problems.... you have some money to fix it.

#9 ·
roger that. i planned to go over the frame subframe as well as the forks. havent thought about the ecu, ill call suzuki with the part number to check that out, and yea i got more cash in reserve i figured with this low of a price id run into problems. didnt think too much about the fuel cut off switch, but if it was drag raced why wasnt it lowered and or extended? (although he does have links) maybe new body work you can see where it was layed over on the exhaust. dunno we will see i go to check out the bike on the 29th cant wait..

#11 ·
If it's a right, if the work's been done well and the correct running gear is in - you can't go wrong wit ha few dol's in reserve to cover any fucked up bits. And YES - On bikes like this, there is always, always fucked up bits once you start pulling fairings, covers off....

If it checked out 90 - 95% i'd buy it!

Si

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.