Need new regulator/ rectifier recommendation - Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com

7Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 24 (permalink) Old 04-22-2019, 08:01 PM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium

Garage
Need new regulator/ rectifier recommendation

I know this topic has been beat to death so sorry to those who want to kill me! Lol. I have read several hundred posts on this subject and followed the manual for testing as well as doing additional tests not in the manual. My battery died at the track. The battery was not being charged which is better than being overcharged! My stator tested good. My regulator/ rectifier failed several of the tests. There was no voltage going to the battery when revving the bike to 5000 rpm or any rpm for that matter. The recall has never been done which is fine with me. The regulator/ rectifier is in the side location. It must have came like that.
I am looking for a new reg.rect.

Can i get some recommendations from anyone who knows one that will work correctly and last?
Thanks guys!

Talk is Cheap
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 24 (permalink) Old 04-22-2019, 09:12 PM
Hand-Eye Coordinator

Motorcycle: 2014 675R, 2019 Husky TE300i
Re: Need new regulator/ rectifier recommendation

Okay. You seem like a level-headed guy and reasonable, so don't take offense:

Whenever someone on the forum says that their electrical component was tested and "good," I usually don't believe them. Give numbers. A lot of people think that "working" means "good." What were the voltages and rpms between the three poles on the stator? Which test did the R/R fail? Output? Diode? You say no voltage was going to the battery, so does that meant that the rectifier had 0V output? What's the battery voltage at?

If a component failed a test, replace it. Once it's replaced, test the other two again. They are all dependent and interconnected. If one fails, it will bring down the others.

Finally- whenever it's electrical, buy OEM. Every time, unless OEM doesn't make it (like a fuel controller). Most people know fuck-all about electrical and will say "the GSXR rectifiers are shit" but in actual fact, they were just mounted in the wrong place for a while. Search the part number, and the 06 rectifier comes up across dozens of models for decades. I would bet tree fiddy that the rectifier internals are used across almost every Japanese bike made in the past 20 years- The difference being the mounting/cooling hardware.
2017Dave likes this.

"A girl phoned me and said, "Come on over. There's nobody home." I went over. Nobody was home!"

-Dangerfield

Last edited by MacBayne; 04-22-2019 at 09:23 PM.
post #3 of 24 (permalink) Old 04-22-2019, 09:52 PM
Lifetime Premium

Motorcycle: K5 1000 & K1 750

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacBayne View Post
Finally- whenever it's electrical, buy OEM. Every time, unless OEM doesn't make it (like a fuel controller). Most people know fuck-all about electrical and will say "the GSXR rectifiers are shit" but in actual fact, they were just mounted in the wrong place for a while. Search the part number, and the 06 rectifier comes up across dozens of models for decades. I would bet tree fiddy that the rectifier internals are used across almost every Japanese bike made in the past 20 years- The difference being the mounting/cooling hardware.
That must be why it has had two recalls on K8 model where it's mounted to the side of the bike. Great quality.

OP - get one these kits https://www.roadstercycle.com/index.htm
I've been using this kit "Complete Mosfet Kit FH020AA DIY crimp or solder kit! " on my track bike.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 24 (permalink) Old 04-22-2019, 10:25 PM
Hand-Eye Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by -JK750- View Post
That must be why it has had two recalls on K8 model where it's mounted to the side of the bike. Great quality.

I've been using this kit "Complete Mosfet Kit FH020AA DIY crimp or solder kit! " on my track bike.
OEM are under contract and made by Denso. Find me a more reputable manufacturer. Like I said earlier, the electrics within will probably be the same as dozens of models over dozens of years across all four big Japanese brands, the difference is the location. You don't know what you are talking about, so you should stop.

https://www.partzilla.com/product/suzuki/32800-47H00
2017Dave likes this.
post #5 of 24 (permalink) Old 04-23-2019, 01:33 AM
Lifetime Premium

Motorcycle: K5 1000 & K1 750

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacBayne View Post
OEM are under contract and made by Denso. Find me a more reputable manufacturer. Like I said earlier, the electrics within will probably be the same as dozens of models over dozens of years across all four big Japanese brands, the difference is the location. You don't know what you are talking about, so you should stop.

https://www.partzilla.com/product/suzuki/32800-47H00
Kartel likes this.
post #6 of 24 (permalink) Old 04-23-2019, 05:30 AM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium

Garage
Thanks for the reply. I did not think anyone would want the specifics of the testing so i didn’t write anything down. Ill do it over again and write it down and I’d like to hear what you think.
post #7 of 24 (permalink) Old 04-23-2019, 08:16 PM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium

Garage

When the bike died I had the Ballistic evo 3 battery in it. It would not turn over. I installed an old backup battery to finish the track day. (Yup I took a backup!!!) I put the ballistic back on a maintainer when I got home. I took the maintainer off and 24 hours later took a reading of 13.57 volts.

The backup battery is currently installed in the bike for the testing. The battery started with 12.9 volts. When I hit the starter the voltage dropped all the way to 10 but the bike started fine. The voltage was steady while running at idle at 12.38 volts. When I revved the bike to 5000 and even higher I had a max reading of 12.43 volts.

The bottom part of my notes shows the voltage that I have coming out of the stator while running at idle and while running at 5000 rpm. 24 Volts at idle and 83 volts at 5000 rpm. Obviously the voltage was fluctuating a little bit but I took an average. Also you can see that the ohms readings that I had were either .3 or .4 ohms between all wires.

Attached is a picture of my multimeter, the backup battery which is in the bike, and my notes. More info to come...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg zWwO2_lVQ1ScwC1VcAGTgA[1].jpg (89.9 KB, 2 views)
File Type: jpg bWXwhf7tSYGY9Wu4eOu1rA[1].jpg (120.1 KB, 2 views)
File Type: jpg lJaSET0ORc6sXYYo30RqMg[1].jpg (135.3 KB, 2 views)

Talk is Cheap
post #8 of 24 (permalink) Old 04-23-2019, 08:20 PM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium

Garage

Here you can see in the pictures the wiring harness coming off the stator. You can see how I set up the reg/rec for easy testing. You can also see the chart of my test results. The circled results are what I think are out of spec and I don't really understand what to do where there is an asterisk**** My testor just showed OL but I think I'm doing something wrong there not sure.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg oGyd6Jd2Tp2asaxUnl9lUQ[1].jpg (192.7 KB, 3 views)
File Type: jpg 4Sb6UAh3TmeiQZk6GL2RDg[1].jpg (76.6 KB, 4 views)
File Type: jpg zUnQvnoMT6WroDypHuNCpg[1].jpg (126.2 KB, 3 views)
post #9 of 24 (permalink) Old 04-24-2019, 03:03 PM
Provisional Novice

Motorcycle: GSX-R1000 K4

Well, Dave, from what You showed the stator seems to be fine and one (B3) pair on reg/rec taking input from the generator looks shit... I do agree with You that the reg/rec is poo.
When I struggled with charging problems on 750k6 someone said serial reg/recs are better not letting overload from the stator affect them being more 'in control' however the one I bought from some German source was made in China and broke anyway, I think reg/rec location is one thing but some erratic stator/generator design in some models might be another.
Some people say mosfet on this forum, some stick with original part, one company suggested old honda one with additional 'control' wire to the battery but at the end of the day get some decent one and hope for the best BTW, some aftermarket ones do not measure the same as per service manual table due to being modified.

Currently on GSXR-1000K4
used to have GSX-R750Y and GSX-R750K6(among other bikes).

Last edited by Kartel; 04-25-2019 at 04:32 PM. Reason: spelling
post #10 of 24 (permalink) Old 04-25-2019, 03:56 AM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium

Garage
Do you think there are any other stator tests to do? I have an oem regulator coming and I’ll mount that completely exposed in the air. I’d hate to see it go bad.
post #11 of 24 (permalink) Old 04-25-2019, 04:04 PM
Provisional Novice

BTW You asked about asterix in the table - it means nothing to show on the multimeter (on mine it shows 1 - no input)
With stator tests You check what You've checked AC voltage on idle and at 5000rpm on all 3 pairs, ohms between 3 pairs and if there is no connection to earth (e.g. minus on battery) from stator yellow wires. No rocket science really, if that's O.K. the stator is O.K. at the moment.
Your reg/rec definitely measured wrong on B3 pair input.
So if the battery is fine with no current leakage, stator measures fine and You get new reg/rec all should be fine with decent charging
unless there's something really wrong with wiring (harness) which can be checked as per service manual as well I guess...

Currently on GSXR-1000K4

Last edited by Kartel; 04-25-2019 at 04:07 PM.
post #12 of 24 (permalink) Old 04-25-2019, 04:24 PM
Likes Diiiiiiiiiiiiiiicks

Motorcycle: 2006 GSXR "250"
Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by -JK750- View Post

Did the part get replaced with a revised model in the recall, or was it relocated? If not, that should tell you about the quality of the original.
MacBayne likes this.
post #13 of 24 (permalink) Old 04-25-2019, 06:08 PM
Lifetime Premium

go with the Mosfet R/R, its a more stable and smoother power distribution than the stock R/R.. wire directly to battery, for some reason Suzuki runs the batt charge wire around the main harness? not suire why there is no relay or fuse on the circuit..

so mosfet and wire directly to batt, they sell the kit to do jsut that at roadster, well worth it specially if you are running LED lights every where, clocks, tail, siggs, headlight, no flicker, very stable needles if you have analog needle(s)
post #14 of 24 (permalink) Old 04-25-2019, 06:38 PM
Provisional Novice

Quote:
Originally Posted by TwistedMister View Post
for some reason Suzuki runs the batt charge wire around the main harness? not suire why there is no relay or fuse on the circuit..
Don't be silly. There is main fuse on the red wire...
post #15 of 24 (permalink) Old 04-25-2019, 08:00 PM
Hand-Eye Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2017Dave View Post
When the bike died I had the Ballistic evo 3 battery in it. It would not turn over. I installed an old backup battery to finish the track day. (Yup I took a backup!!!) I put the ballistic back on a maintainer when I got home. I took the maintainer off and 24 hours later took a reading of 13.57 volts.

The backup battery is currently installed in the bike for the testing. The battery started with 12.9 volts. When I hit the starter the voltage dropped all the way to 10 but the bike started fine. The voltage was steady while running at idle at 12.38 volts. When I revved the bike to 5000 and even higher I had a max reading of 12.43 volts.

The bottom part of my notes shows the voltage that I have coming out of the stator while running at idle and while running at 5000 rpm. 24 Volts at idle and 83 volts at 5000 rpm. Obviously the voltage was fluctuating a little bit but I took an average. Also you can see that the ohms readings that I had were either .3 or .4 ohms between all wires.

Attached is a picture of my multimeter, the backup battery which is in the bike, and my notes. More info to come...
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2017Dave View Post
Here you can see in the pictures the wiring harness coming off the stator. You can see how I set up the reg/rec for easy testing. You can also see the chart of my test results. The circled results are what I think are out of spec and I don't really understand what to do where there is an asterisk**** My testor just showed OL but I think I'm doing something wrong there not sure.
Ho-ly shit. That's a lot of detail. lol

So first thing- that lithium battery has to be tested as per manufacturer specs. Lead acid batteries are an incredibly different beast than Lithium Ion. 13.57 after a charge for Li/Ion looks promising, though. The rest voltages and load voltages are different between the types, but the charging voltages would be very similar (there are too many variable for them to be exact).

Second, it is typical for the voltage to drop when pressing the starter. In a circuit, voltage divides between components. Think of the water pipes in an old house and someone flushes the toilet or turns on the faucet while you're in the shower. If the toilet gets flushed, the water system cannot supply enough cold water everywhere, so the shower will get hotter for a few seconds. Your battery voltage drops because some of the pressure (voltage) goes somewhere else. If you wanna get pedantic, what I said wasn't a great example because of 'battery internal resistance,' but just remember battery voltage will always drop under load.

The asterisks in the manual mean that there should be no reading when measuring those components. O/L on your meter means "Open Line." O/L means that there is no circuit, and the meter cannot read any value. That's a nice meter, BTW...

When measuring stator output, there will ALWAYS be fluctuation in output voltage, first because the output frequency and voltage changes with RPM, and the meter has to do math with AC voltage and current. The meter takes what's called "RMS" voltage and current in AC circuits. Your meter is professional grade, so it will actually take longer for those reading in some cases because of the way it makes reading automatic and the user doesn't need to specify range.

Your rectifier is out of spec. It requires replacement. Once replaced, check the rest of the system, too. It doesn't look like anything else in forked, but better safe than sorry.

"A girl phoned me and said, "Come on over. There's nobody home." I went over. Nobody was home!"

-Dangerfield
post #16 of 24 (permalink) Old 04-28-2019, 08:46 AM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium

Garage
I think my new unit is out of spec. I got this unit sold as OEM from Partzilla. Here is the test results. I circled the out of spec results. The pictures show the new unit is on the left. The original unit on the right. Do i need to send this back? I think i might need to. 😞
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg FBA974F9-6230-47DB-8CEB-DA7DEB2F0CD6_1556459007818.jpeg (71.9 KB, 2 views)
File Type: jpeg 4CCA4954-BD29-4ACF-BCFA-3DB9C4348E85_1556459017489.jpeg (105.7 KB, 2 views)
File Type: jpeg BD63FF8C-1E5E-46E6-B19E-BDCBD082810E_1556459028162.jpeg (111.6 KB, 2 views)
post #17 of 24 (permalink) Old 04-28-2019, 10:04 AM
Provisional Novice

Did You try if it charges? I had aftermarket one which had different to OEM readings but still worked, just different design...
2017Dave likes this.
post #18 of 24 (permalink) Old 04-28-2019, 10:21 AM
Provisional Novice

table.JPG

well, I just checked what it should be for 750k6 and the one You got seems to be all right?!
2017Dave likes this.
post #19 of 24 (permalink) Old 04-28-2019, 11:01 AM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium

Garage

Hmm, that is weird. You are right. It is fine according to that chart. Do you think that the 08 came with an updated unit since there were the recalls on the previous units? Also my manual shows different than yours, that's why I think maybe they changed something. They wouldn't be selling units that have been recalled, right?
post #20 of 24 (permalink) Old 04-28-2019, 02:19 PM
Provisional Novice

At the end of the day reg/rec is only a reg/rec... when I had my stator rewound by some company they insisted for me to use the honda reg/rec adapted to connect to my 750k6 (plugs) with a 5th wire on the 'out' side (purple going to the battery), and it worked.
If it charges I wouldn't worry too much Mate, seriously. Just make sure other electric components are fine - the harness etc.
I am not an electrician but that's my humble opinion and at the end of the day it is about the quality of the reg/rec no matter what construction/measurements. If I bought it and with warranty on it I would use it. Personally I do not believe those differences matter as long as the rest is fine (stator, harness, battery...).

Currently on GSXR-1000K4

Last edited by Kartel; 04-28-2019 at 02:27 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode