• 1 Post By Ironhead401
  • 1 Post By le skid
  • 2 Post By tatersalad314
  • 1 Post By le skid

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-14-2019, 08:24 PM Thread Starter
Squid

Suh Dudes

Name is Jacob, 18yo. I started street riding in November on a Ninja 250 after riding ATV's (had a sweet LTZ400 when I was 12-16) and dirt bikes all my life. Loved the bike but quickly realized I wanted more power. Picked up a K6 GSXR1000 (big jump, I know) a few weeks ago and pulled all the fairings and been going all through it and servicing it. Just about ready for the streets, still has original tires so going to replace those. I've cruised it around the neighborhood and my god it is a powerful machine. Seems to be a lot of knowledge on here and figured I'd join to ask any questions I may have and help others if I can.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-14-2019, 08:32 PM
Likes Diiiiiiiiiiiiiiicks

Motorcycle: 2006 GSXR "250"
Garage
Re: Suh Dudes

Yes. Park it until you actually know how to ride.
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-14-2019, 11:16 PM
Want's to see grandma's Snapper....

Motorcycle: WR250R

Welcome. We preach safety and are firm believers of progression and gaining the proper skill when moving up in bikes. While we don't know everyones ability from a forum stand point, I can safely say at 18 y/o and riding a 250 for 7 months with some dirt bike experience, you are not yet qualified to jump to a 1000. Ham fist some throttle or brake and you're down. Those other bikes are way more forgiving.

I know you're just going to ride it anyway so I will say wear full leathers, all the time. Don't ride on the street, take track day classes and learn how to properly ride there.
8you4t likes this.

"Whether you succeed or fail is dependent entirely on you" - Vic Armstrong
post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-15-2019, 07:27 AM
Vegemite-eating SuperModerator...

Motorcycle: 2003 gsxr1000 ,2002 gsxr600 ,2008 gsxr600 ,2002 gsxr750 ,2006 CBR1000RR ,2001 CBR1100xx ,2001 CBR929rr ,2002 VTR1000f ,2008 FZ1 ,2002 SV650s

Waaaay to soon to be stepping up to a sports bike ... let alone a 1000 no less !!!

Crawl before you walk , walk before you run ... you just skipped the whole middle section.
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-15-2019, 08:49 AM
#Todd Todd Todd Todd Todd Todd Todd Todd Todd

If you scored a K6 1000 on its original rubber, am I to assume it's low mileage and clean? If so, you SERIOUSLY want to park it and learn to ride on something else.

• You WILL crash your first sportbike at least once or twice
  • The 2005-2006 is the most desirable GSX-R 1000 for many reasons

You don't want to wad that bitch up. Seriously, store it for a few years and learn & crash on something else. You'll thank us all if you actually heed the advice of people with more experience than you.

Post pics of the scoot.
750Squidiot likes this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8you4t View Post
Fuck yeah ... I love rubbing my junk on a cheese grater too. It’s so callused I can’t feel anything else
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-15-2019, 12:14 PM Thread Starter
Squid

Thanks for the concern guys. I'm not a smart ass. I've been on the track many of times so you could say I get my speed fix there. Every time I swing a leg over ANY motorcycle I have the upmost respect for the machine. Don't get me wrong, super sports demand waayy more than any other bike, but riding like an ass on anything is bound to get you hurt. I enjoy having skin and realize I'm not invincible, so I'm ATGATT every time I ride. I appreciate every piece of advice and criticism I get, so thank you. I know you guys are more concerned for the bikes safety (It's alright, I would be too). I promise I'll take good care of her. For some reason it won't let me post pics. Maybe because I'm new?
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-15-2019, 01:23 PM
Uses squid tentacles as a butt-plug

Motorcycle: K4 750

Its not about "respecting the machine" its about plain not knowing how to ride it. Its the fact that you don't know your limits because 7 months is not enough time to even get comfortable with a 250 on the street. Its going from a tuned up scooter straight to a bike lifelong professionals crash on and die. Yous gave into peer pressure and wanted to show your liter bike off (this is an assumption but correct me if I'm wrong because even I get shit for riding a 750 and I could care less.) ATGATT might save your life but that bike can also put you in a wheelchair for the rest of it. My opinion garage the beast or sell and go back to a 250 for a year and a half get some track days in but if you hellbent on more power go to a SV650 more power but GREAT starter bike then another year or two jump to a 600-750 super sport. I personally dont think 1k or higher is practical on the street for someone of your age (I'm not much older than you and we tend to get in over our heads.)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
I see stupid people
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Family,Ride,Golf,Beer

04' GSXR750 Full Yoshi exhaust
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-15-2019, 02:17 PM
Currently using pedals..

Motorcycle: L5 600

These bikes don't demand respect, they demand skill - or else. If you want to be a better rider, I'd recommend you find a way to spend significantly more time on a smaller bike. Even if it's on the track!
8you4t and 750Squidiot like this.
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-15-2019, 09:56 PM
#Todd Todd Todd Todd Todd Todd Todd Todd Todd

Still no pics + 18 yr old + mx riiding + k6 1k + respect the bike + etc...

Color me dubious but I smell troll.

EDIT: if I'm wrong, you're the cliché kid making a really bad decision. How did you afford so desirable a ride on its first set of tires? We did have one kid whose parents (who were riders) co-signed a loan. He was such a douchebag that several thought his parents bought him his bike so he'd kill himself

I think it was it @ChrisR
750Squidiot likes this.
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-16-2019, 01:28 AM Thread Starter
Squid

Alright guys, again appreciate the concern. Didn't think I'd catch so much flak on here lol. Like I said this isn't my first or second bike. I've rode some bad fast stuff and been in the dirt since I was 4 years old. Been wrenching on my own stuff since I was 14. I 100% understand your opinions and agree that the most responsible way of progressing would be 250/300/650/or the Kawi 400 to a 600, then down the line a liter bike. Especially to people who are brand spanking new to riding. I've always thought of myself as a pretty gifted kid. A super fast learner. I always got straight A's, and graduated high school a couple years early. Always been smooth and competitive with the fast guys on the track. Not trying trying to self promote here, I just feel I have enough control to not push the issue and that my abilities as a rider are good enough to handle the bike. I know it's not nearly as forgiving, but as I said I believe riding dangerously will make you bleed more than anything. If you hit something at 90mph it's going to hurt just as bad whether you're riding a 250, 600, or a 1000. Kinda like guns. Guns don't kill people, people kill people. It's not the machine that'll hurt you (unless you don't do proper maintenance, but again that's your fault), it's yourself. Your bike is only going to go as fast as you let it. If I make a mistake, I'll own up to it and take my blame. We take a risk every time we swing a leg over our bikes, no matter what we're riding. The risk IS higher with a faster bike, I know, but it's up to the rider just how much higher it is. It's a responsibility/risk I myself am willing to take. No I wasn't peer pressured in the slightest. I was just ready for more. I should've started on something with more power, 250 in my opinion was a poor choice for someone with prior dirt experience. YZ450 is loads faster than the Ninja.

I found the bike for a great price. Did some research and heard nothing but great things about the K5 K6 and how it was the base BMW used for the S1000RR. It's a pretty clean machine. Has no signs of ever being dropped, prev. owner says it never has but you can never be 100% sure. Has some scuffs on the belly of the fairings that you'd never see unless you're on the ground. Looks like they bottomed out on a curb possibly. Other than that the fairings are perfect. First thing I purchased was a Shogun kit with the frame sliders, spool sliders, fork sliders, and bar ends. Has original tires so Q3's are on their way.

I appreciate the feedback. I don't aim to sound stereotypical, but I honestly wouldn't have done it if I didn't think I could handle it. I've said what I have to say. If you still want to think negatively of me then so be it. I'm not going to argue over the keyboard. I'll check around before I post, only have a few questions. Thanks for the "warm" welcome .

Ride safe everyone, peace!
post #11 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-16-2019, 01:38 AM Thread Starter
Squid

I guess I'll own the cliche lol. Not a troll. As I said it won't let me post pics for some reason. I'm guessing because I'm new. Was a super good deal for it. Been working since my early teens.
post #12 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-16-2019, 07:55 AM
Currently using pedals..

Motorcycle: L5 600

I don't think negatively of you, I think negatively of your choice The issue isn't solely power. It's how sensitive the controls are - throttle and brakes. I don't think you ever had to worry about any trees jumping out in front of you! There are more hazards on the street and most drivers could care less about you, even if they do see you. It's also about what you do in emergency situations. I highly encourage you to spend time in an empty parking lot working on braking drills. Hopefully when the day comes that you'll need it (because you will), you'll stay on the saddle instead of dumping it or flying over the bars. Don't take any of the criticism personally, we are just concerned for your safety

The Great Banning of 2016 survivor.
post #13 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-16-2019, 09:01 AM
Soberz again

Motorcycle: 2006 GSX-R1000
Garage

post #14 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-16-2019, 09:28 AM
Uses squid tentacles as a butt-plug

Motorcycle: K4 750

Quote:
Originally Posted by le skid View Post
Still no pics + 18 yr old + mx riiding + k6 1k + respect the bike + etc...

Color me dubious but I smell troll.

EDIT: if I'm wrong, you're the cliché kid making a really bad decision. How did you afford so desirable a ride on its first set of tires? We did have one kid whose parents (who were riders) co-signed a loan. He was such a douchebag that several thought his parents bought him his bike so he'd kill himself

I think it was it @ChrisR
I was thinking the same....

hitting something at 50 and hitting something at 150 is much different I assure you. Your 18 so none of us know more than you. YOU know exactly what your doing and just FYI I raced MX amateur for years and I still had a severe learning curve. If anything MX makes it HARDER to learn as EVERYTHING but throttle and clutch relationship is different. But alas you know everything so wont listen to anyone good luck
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode