Poll: How Do You Feel About Loud Pipes? - Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com
 15Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 29 (permalink) Old 07-13-2017, 01:41 PM Thread Starter
Sponsored Editorial Content

Poll: How Do You Feel About Loud Pipes?

Quote:
'Loud pipes save lives' and 'the louder it is the faster it is' are all phrases youíve probably heard before, but for a lot of people Ė particularly the non-riding public Ė loud exhausts prove to be obnoxious. Which camp do you find yourself in?
Read more about the Poll: How Do You Feel About Loud Pipes? at Motorcycle.com.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 29 (permalink) Old 07-13-2017, 02:12 PM
Thatís Mister Chalet To You ....

Re: Poll: How Do You Feel About Loud Pipes?

People with open headers or worse, actual megaphone 'GP' exhausts should be sterilized.... after they're forced to put a non-obnoxious exhaust on their bike.
post #3 of 29 (permalink) Old 07-13-2017, 02:43 PM
Captain Obvious ... because obviously itís obvious.

Motorcycle: 2006 GSXR "250"
Garage

Adding a loud exhaust and saying it's to save your life is a BS excuse. I add an exhaust for more power and because I like the sound. If I am noticed, cool. But, I ride as though I'm invisible, because I know exactly how little difference that pipe makes.
beeboy, knowyourenemy66 and DJaye. like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 29 (permalink) Old 07-13-2017, 02:46 PM
XBD
2 > 4

Motorcycle: L6 750
Garage

I run a straight pipe and ride with my eyes closed, they'll hear me and move over. O.o
post #5 of 29 (permalink) Old 07-13-2017, 03:03 PM

Location: In the garage, smoking one of Anthony D's cigars...
Motorcycle: None, gave them all to Anthony D...

Love 'em
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2012-05-08_11-20-57_207.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	52.5 KB
ID:	514066  
post #6 of 29 (permalink) Old 07-13-2017, 03:10 PM
Thatís Mister Chalet To You ....

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldgixxer View Post
Love 'em
OK, YOU get a pass. Because turbo. Turbo = awesomeness.

Everyone else gets neutered.
post #7 of 29 (permalink) Old 07-13-2017, 04:51 PM
Soberz again

Motorcycle: 2006 GSX-R1000
Garage

Rather have it than need it than need it and not have it. The extra noise that is. My bike sounds like it's utterly pissed off at any RPM. Wouldn't have it any other way.
post #8 of 29 (permalink) Old 07-13-2017, 07:44 PM
Expert

Garage

My bike came with an auto zone special megaphone. Thats litterally the first ting I changed. As the regulars here already know, I came here when I replaced my wrecked Katana with a gsxr. The Kat had a full yoshimura exhaust on it. Not loud, but sounded sooo much better than stock. Then I binned it on an illegal left turner who either thought he could beat me or didn't see me. When the pics surfaced on Facebook a guy said "loud pipes save lives" I fucking tore that douche a new asshole on how his statement was completely ignorant and a complete fallacy. The "loud pipes saves lives" is simply a justification for assholes who need ALL the attention that they own and operate a motorcycle. Fuck you, douche. Lol Buncha bullshit.

I keep the megaphone on a shelf incase I feel obnoxious and wanna make some noise. BUT hasn't happened yet.

I'd rather ride fast under he radar than ride slow and the whole neighborhood know I'm comin.
oldgixxer and Rain-bowdash like this.

Last edited by maniac1886; 07-13-2017 at 07:46 PM.
post #9 of 29 (permalink) Old 07-13-2017, 08:22 PM
Provisional Novice

Motorcycle: GSXR1000R, 750, 600, and anything else with 2 wheels
Garage

Loud pipes sound beefy and deep. they make the heart run. and in the dirt the four strokes sound like testosterone on crack. As much as I wouldn't buy a Ducati or Aprilla, the sound is ear sex. I've had straight pipes, full systems, and loud slip ons, and loved them all. But, my old ass squid ears have me rocking my L7 with the stock pipe, whatttt!!!!!? Does that mean I hate loud pipes? No. That means I'm not listening to them on my bike currently. Do loud pipes make people in cars aware of us ? Absolutely, and they still rock.

It's CALAMARI TIMEEEEEE!

Sound off🤘🏼🏁🤘🏼🏍
post #10 of 29 (permalink) Old 07-25-2017, 06:45 AM
Track Day Winner

Motorcycle: GSX-R600 L7
Garage

I like loud exhausts, but not shitty loud exhausts. My first supersport, a cbr600rr, came hacked off after the headers with some autozone special exhaust tip welded on the end. Was obnoxious as hell, raspy, and droned awfully at any rpm. Buying the proper midpipe and a yoshi slip-on fixed this though.
DJaye. likes this.
post #11 of 29 (permalink) Old 07-25-2017, 07:12 AM
I move away from the mic

Motorcycle: 2006 R1 50th
Garage

An engineered exhaust sounds awesome, especially on a Suzuki. The Yoshimura I had on my old SRAD 600 was AWESOME! Not raspy, heart pounding at idle and bellowed on throttle, just awesome.

But, I didn't/don't view exhaust as a safety device, especially after buying the vehicles we have now; They are very well sound insulated that I can barely hear anything outside of my car.
post #12 of 29 (permalink) Old 07-25-2017, 09:01 PM
Provisional Novice

Motorcycle: suzuki, honda
Garage

i love them !!!....
i have one on each of my bikes...the louder the better to piss my neighbors off. period.
post #13 of 29 (permalink) Old 07-26-2017, 12:07 AM
Ex-Lady Supermod

Garage

post #14 of 29 (permalink) Old 07-26-2017, 09:33 AM
!##NULL##!

I hate em.

There are many reasons to have a quite exhaust, first is that you are more stealthy if you end up having to take evasive action.

I'm all go, and no show. So I prefer to have quite. If only someone made lighter and more powerful exhausts that weren't so dang loud, I would buy it.

When I'm splitting lanes, I don't want to startle people. I already get enough flak for splitting lanes I want to be least intrusive as possible. I

Loud pipes do not save lives they just make people want to hit you with their lifted truck.

I always wondered at the race track... I used to race CMC where you are required to run a restricter plate - and everyone has straight pipes. I had to add weight to my car to meet regulations - i would have rather just had a muffler. Why at nascar where they run restrictor plates do they have loud exhausts? I have to wear earplugs - why not just have quite racecars and restrict the air intake less? Much better to be able to talk to my GF at the race without ear plugs, in my opinion. But rednecks like having permanent hearing damage.... *Shrug*
post #15 of 29 (permalink) Old 07-27-2017, 09:50 AM
Squid

Motorcycle: 2016 Suzuki GSX-R 600

I'm not a fan of them but to each his or her own.

Personally I tend to just install an Akrapovic slip-on (not the GP ones), remove the baffle and call it a day. They are plenty loud to let the cagers know I'm around, but it also doesn't piss off everyone around me.
post #16 of 29 (permalink) Old 08-07-2017, 03:12 PM
Amateur

Motorcycle: 2014 GSXR1000
Garage

There's loud and there's loud. A bit of noise is fun and people notice you. Too much noise and everyone thinks you are a twat!
beeboy likes this.
post #17 of 29 (permalink) Old 08-07-2017, 03:15 PM
Amateur

Motorcycle: 2014 GSXR1000
Garage

Louder == faster.

No, louder == Harley == slow!
post #18 of 29 (permalink) Old 08-07-2017, 03:25 PM
Captain Obvious ... because obviously itís obvious.

Motorcycle: 2006 GSXR "250"
Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rain-bowdash View Post
Loud pipes sound beefy and deep. they make the heart run. and in the dirt the four strokes sound like testosterone on crack. As much as I wouldn't buy a Ducati or Aprilla, the sound is ear sex. I've had straight pipes, full systems, and loud slip ons, and loved them all. But, my old ass squid ears have me rocking my L7 with the stock pipe, whatttt!!!!!? Does that mean I hate loud pipes? No. That means I'm not listening to them on my bike currently. Do loud pipes make people in cars aware of us ? Absolutely, and they still rock.

It's CALAMARI TIMEEEEEE!

Sound off������������
Wrong. They make some people aware. But that teenager blasting music on the highway won't hear you even if you were sitting on the rev limiter with straight pipes. The people you don't need to be worried about are the ones that already notice you, the ones that you need to notice you won't notice you if you were bright pink, wearing an odd helmet, and sitting at 14,000 RPM everywhere you go.
post #19 of 29 (permalink) Old 08-10-2017, 03:22 PM
Squid

Motorcycle: 1993 GSXR600W

Loud- yes, obnoxious- no. As with anything, moderation is key. No better sound than a healthy GSXR sporting a properly engineered Yoshimura-or-equivalent setup. And no, I won't give you a "loud pipes save lives" sob story BUT, there's no doubt they can catch some driver's attention, and that's worth something.

At the end of the day, I just like the sound, and that's why. Maybe I'm childish...

With that said, I'd rather have a bone stock exhaust over one of those POS eBay "voodoo" straight pipes. ��

Last edited by DJaye.; 08-10-2017 at 03:25 PM.
post #20 of 29 (permalink) Old 08-10-2017, 03:27 PM
!##NULL##!

snakes and spiders scare most people, but i still like to observe them

Last edited by Truck; 10-02-2017 at 12:17 PM. Reason: neat!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode