1996 gsxr 750 starting and electrical problems : Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums: Gixxer.com
» Insurance
» Suzuki GSX-R Prices
» Sponsors
Go Back   Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com > Gixxer Forums > SRADs (97-00 600 and 96-99 750)

Old 02-07-2006, 11:28 AM   #1
BIGMAN750
Squid

1996 gsxr 750 starting and electrical problems

Hi im new to the site. I am having some problems with my 96 gsxr 750. it melted the wiring plug on the voltage rectafier. i have ordered a new harness and rectafier. even with a new fully charged batt and new plug wired to the old rectafier it still wont start easly. i have to roll start it. or hook up a juper box to it to get it to almost start. is the rectafier a common problem? and what esle could be wrong? the bat cables read 13.2 volts at the batt when its running at idle, yet the batt will go dead and the bike will die, then i jump start it and it will run fine? thanks im new to the sportbike world, bigman750
BIGMAN750 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-07-2006, 03:14 PM   #2
GSX-R503
Rookie

Motorcycle: 98 GSXR 600-ish
Re: 1996 gsxr 750 starting and electrical problems

Did you try swapping rectifiers or just the harness? If the bike will die when idling, sounds like you got a charging issue. And you say the battery is new fully charged?
GSX-R503 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2006, 04:34 PM   #3
gixxer333
Rookie

Motorcycle: 98 B/W Gixxer 600

I had the same exact problem:

melted coupler

I finally fixed it (I hope) this past weekend after several months. I can't say conclusively that it was the rectifier because I believe I had other problems going on too. SInce the coupler was melted, I just assumed it was a bad rectifier. I would think it had shorted from my wires touching.

Also as the prev post said, is your battery new? I neglected to look into that and that was one of my main problems of my bike not holding a charge. My battery was old as dirt. I swapped in a new coupler, rectifier, battery and also another cause for suspect for electrical probs on my bike (fuel pump relay) and everything is working great now. I took someone's advice of checking for a drain by setting up a bulb in series when the bike's off to see if there is something draining it and I didn't detect anything after I swapped all the new stuff in.

battery drain checking advice

Good luck. Electrical probs are a bitch...
gixxer333 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2006, 12:50 PM   #4
BIGMAN750
Squid

hi, yes it fully chargedand new i have a very nice charger and put it on it till it was could i also did a load test and it was fine.
thanks
BIGMAN750 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement