03 gsxr 1000 bad clutch chatter after mods : Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums: Gixxer.com
» Insurance
» Suzuki GSX-R Prices
» Sponsors
Go Back   Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com > Racing & Stunts > Drag Racing

Old 01-13-2006, 02:08 PM   #1
dave3.4
Rookie

03 gsxr 1000 bad clutch chatter after mods

I have a 03 gsxr 1000 I just put a full exhaust and a power commander and I also went up one tooth on the back sprocket.I took it to the track after I installed eveything and the clutch would chatter real bad at luanch .I dont think that the exhaust or the sprocket would have anything to do with it but I never had a problem with it before unless I would luanch above 5000rpms.I couldnt even launch it at 3500 rpms tonight without bad clutch chatter. The clutch doesnt slip at all but i dont know whats up with the clutch chatter.............does anyone have any ideas what could cause this......................thanks
dave3.4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-13-2006, 03:00 PM   #2
E-RACER
Rookie

Motorcycle: 00 Busa-2007 GSXR-1000 turbo 2007 GSXR-1000 nos
Re: 03 gsxr 1000 bad clutch chatter after mods

YEP..I HAVE THE SAME PROBLEM..MY BIKE WAS NEVER RACED AND HAS ONLY 1300 MILES..AFTER MY 3RD PASS THE CLUTCH WAS BUCKING BAD!!

PEOPLE HAVE TOLD ME GET THE BROCKS CLUTCH CUSHION AND I ALSO JUST READ LEE'S PERFORMANCE RUNS kAWI zx10 CLUTCHES AND STEELS..I HAVE TO DO SOMEHTING ABOUT THIS MYSELF!!

Sorry about the capital letters!!

So new steels and fibers,clutch cushion and maybe a few heavy duty springs should do it!!
E-RACER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2006, 03:11 AM   #3
dgowland
Lifetime Premium

Motorcycle: 2001 GSXR 1000

Check the fingers on the basket and grooves on the hub for notches . You can file them smooth again and likely fix your problem . The hub isnt too expensive if its rough ...

Dave
dgowland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2006, 08:05 PM   #4
luke111
Back Marker

Motorcycle: 01 GSXR750 Turbo E85

check out my website for more info on the clutch.

http://members.optusnet.com.au/turbogsxr
luke111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2006, 12:24 AM   #5
IridiumRed
Lifetime Premium

Motorcycle: RIP El Toro. Long live new bike BIG FOXIE! Ex KWS AMA 08 GSXR1000

Quote:
Originally Posted by dgowland
Check the fingers on the basket and grooves on the hub for notches . You can file them smooth again and likely fix your problem . The hub isnt too expensive if its rough ...

Dave
People do this with dirtbikes fairly often. Dirtbikes seem to have more of a problem with this than other bikes, from what it seems (I dont hear about this with streetbikes much).

I have a KX500, it had a badly notched basket. spent some time filing out the notches, trying to make the basket work (it had bad clutch drag, didn't want to fully release). Took longer to do than you'd think (since you have to file each tab individually. Even with a nice fairly new big bastard file it took a while.

Doesn't last very well though, the basket is still just as soft as it was before, and now the slot the plates fit into is wider, and I'm not sure if that just makes it wear out even faster, by giving the plates more room to bang back and forth (conjecture on my part)

Anyways, it only took about 5 hours more riding (I did some mods to the motor, replaced the main bearings, but they went bad again b/c of a bad crank so I had to tear it down again) and the basket was starting to notch again!!!

I said fuck it and just put in an aftermarket heavy duty (high quality aluminum, anodized) Hinson outer clutch basket (about $200). Also replaced the inner basket w/ a heavy duty one just for good measure (was about $85, was tired of tearing this motor down and fixing things!!!)

I've got a K4, 6500 miles on it (1200 from me), the prior owner ran it fairly hard but was VERY good about maintenance and parts replacement, and the clutch is pretty grabby

I think i'll end up doing something with the clutch. Either a new basket (another hinson probably, about $350 discounted), though I hear Schnitz racing has a clutch mod that is supposed to work pretty well, about $150 or so. Either way, while I'm in there, I'll probably replace the friction plates (stock suzuki OEM is very good i hear), deglaze the steel plates, and go with heavy duty springs (on my 1K1 I replaced 3 of the springs with HD, not all 5, this is an "approved" or "suggested" Schnitz mod for street 1000's....)

I'm running a fairly stock motor, and I dont dragrace, so the clutch isn't going to get that much hard loading, so the stock basket should hold up....
IridiumRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement