Mirror removal : Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums: Gixxer.com
» Insurance
» Suzuki GSX-R Prices
» Sponsors
Go Back   Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com > Gixxer Forums > GSX-R1000 General Forum

Old 08-27-2005, 06:05 AM   #1
Strafer
Rookie

Motorcycle: 05 GSXR 1000
Mirror removal

I need to remove my mirrors, 05 GSXR 1000, for a track day. Is there some way to unplug them? What's all involved? I also want to turn off the rest of lights. Fuses? I would Apreciate any help.
Strafer is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-27-2005, 06:23 AM   #2
geordiemark1
Rookie

Re: Mirror removal

If I remember correctly, The indicator connector is fairly straight forward to disconnect, but fiddly to feed the wires thru. I pulled the fuses and disconnected the actual plugs which are easy to get at.

Use zip ties to secure the fairing when the mirrors are off

Mark
geordiemark1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-27-2005, 10:54 AM   #3
James_M925
Rookie

hey strafer,

i had the same problem for my wednesday trackday, but thankfully the gixxer.com guys helped me out.

to remove the mirrors:

1) get a 5/32nd metric wrench for the single bolt at the bottom of the gauge cluster that holds that in place. once you take that out, you'll have to "pop" out the cluster--it's connected like the socket thingy u have to pop out to remove the fairings.

2) you have to take out the bolts for your windscreen so you can lift up the front fairing slightly and wiggle the wires for the mirror/signals out the small hole (after you disconnect them).

3) just put the bolts for your mirrors back in, and make sure the rubber spacer for the turn signal area is snugg in place.

you don't have to zip-tie anything, unlike the 04 600. the windscreen stays firmly in place and doesn't vibrate or anything.

hope this isn't too late.

enjoy your trackday =)
James_M925 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-28-2005, 02:10 PM   #4
Scratch1k
Rookie

+1 for everything written above as far as mirror removal goes.

The fuse for the headlight is located behind the left fairing (sitting on bike). You do NOT need to remove the fairing, just loosen a couple of the fasteners and pull back to get access. The little black box of fuses is located directly below the rear of the gas tank, just go straight down from there, loosen the fairing and all should be good.

For the rear tail light and signals just unplug the little socket under the rear seat on the left side (again sitting on bike).

Hope that helps some.

Personally I did the front 750 mirror mod, put the signals in place of the running lights and installed 05 750 mirrors. All I have to do for trackdays is remove the big allen bolt that holds the mirrors to the mirror mounts and I'm good to go. If you plan on more track days I'd highly recommed doing this because fishing the little turn signal wires back and forth under the windscreen is a huge pain in the ass!
Scratch1k is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-28-2005, 06:12 PM   #5
shockinglyfast1K
GSX-R Enthusiast

Motorcycle: '05 GSX-R 1000

I removed my mirrors with the cowl off but you don't have too. Just remove the instrument cluster and unplug the connections. Bike looks much better and you get a little less drag and some weight savings. Not to mention track legal. I've ridden a couple of months now without them with no problems. It takes a few days to get use too but I just head check a lot more and have no issues. I plan on installing at least one bar-end mirror to help in those moments when I'm slowing or stopping and the drivers behind respond accordingly.
shockinglyfast1K is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in