Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner

Breaking in a motorcycle

13K views 30 replies 26 participants last post by  1/4milecrazy 
#1 ·
I will be buying my 2001 Gix 750 in a few weeks and wanted to know what is the best way to break in a motorcycle. It has been awhile since I had a new bike and I would like to do it right...

Thanks -- nick

#3 ·
Follow the recommended break in procedure outlined in the owners manual. Don't baby her too much, but don't pound the shit out of her right away either. For the first 200mi., go easy. Gradually increase the rpms after that. Make sure to vary your rpms a lot.

Good luck!
The bike you've got ROCKS!

#4 ·
Follow the manual. Accelerate hard, downshift when slowing down. For at least the first 200 miles always vary the rpm. I usually drain the oil after 200 miles, too (lot's of nasty metal bits floating around in there). Let's hook up for a ride sometime!

#5 ·
heat cycle the motor... before you even ride it, warm it up and let it cool down completely a couple times, when you ride it, dont lug it around at high load, low rpm, vary the revs and the engine loads, every so often, briskly take it high in the rev range, but not WFO.. and by all means dont go take a long highway cruise to break it in, its important to let it cool off (about 1 hour running, 1 hour cooling) and its important to vary engine loads and revs... basically you are polishing the internal parts, the better the polish, the lower the friction... my buddy took some new parts and looked at them under a microscope and you can see the roughness on the surface under magnification, but a broken in part is visibly smoother under the glass.. id change the oil at 300, then at 600 miles as well... use dino oil for the first 3000 after breakin, then get some synth...

#24 ·
heat cycle the motor... before you even ride it, warm it up and let it cool down completely a couple times, when you ride it, dont lug it around at high load, low rpm, vary the revs and the engine loads, every so often, briskly take it high in the rev range, but not WFO.. and by all means dont go take a long highway cruise to break it in, its important to let it cool off (about 1 hour running, 1 hour cooling) and its important to vary engine loads and revs... basically you are polishing the internal parts, the better the polish, the lower the friction... my buddy took some new parts and looked at them under a microscope and you can see the roughness on the surface under magnification, but a broken in part is visibly smoother under the glass.. id change the oil at 300, then at 600 miles as well... use dino oil for the first 3000 after breakin, then get some synth...

Can I use synthetic oil since the begining of the brake-in ? Why do you recommend firs using dino oil, any reason?
Thanks.
:scratch

#8 ·
I broke in my 05 1k according to the book and it seemed alright last year but I took it out of storage this year warmed it up and the gave it a couple of revs and now its puffing a bit of blue smoke when coming down off the rpms, I have 5000 miles on it now, any idea what the problem is and why.

Thanks.

#10 ·
have any of you used that moto usa way to break in your new k6 this year or even a k5...this is my first new bike that i have to break in and i dont wanna f it up...i like the way it sounds, cause its how ive always learned to break in car motors, break em in hard, theyll run harder later, obvi meaning not beating on them, but def pushing the pedal down...wondering if any of you had as much sucess with his method as he says it gives

#12 ·
no im not buying a used one, im being a new k6 600...i just asked about anyone breaking in a k5 that way also because that bike would be a year old now and theyd know how it really worked using that moto usa way

#14 ·
superbiker69 said:
i usually break mine in quite easy for the 1st 600 miles....then after the 1st service ride it like i stole it

Yeh that's what I reckon , I got 620 miles on my 750 k5 and first service on Friday , I have run it medium to hard on and of giving things time to cool, but haven't gone above 8000 yet , I want to get rid of that high suspension running in oil first with all the shit in it , then I think it will be moderate to hard riding up to around 11000, then at 1000m I will give it another oil and filter change myself, then I'll ride it like I stole it, within reason, cops don't like bikers around here so they don't cut you any slack, They like nothing more than making sure you rack up points.

Talk about piss on your chips:cursing

My riding pal don't help reckons he's the king of Wheelie / stoppies but then he does ride a blade , no accounting for taste

Steve

#21 ·
I had it kept under 8k when I first got the bike but I did some WOT pulls in 2nd and 3rd gear constantly while I was riding it home.

I would go WOT up to around 8k and let off to engine break. I wanted to do the "hard break-in" but this is my first bike and I don't want to kill myself by going past 14k so I guess I did a "semi hard break-in".

I think whether you break it in hard or soft it's all the same. The most important thing is to not cruise at a constant speed/rpm.

#22 ·
i didn't hold back on the rpm's when i bought my gixxer1k. i did do a lot of gearshifting for the first 600 miles, going all the way up and all the way down on the street. no wheelies until after the 600 miles. some people baby the bike, which makes sense, then again the superbike guys don't break the motor in they rip it right away, but then again who knows how long those motors last. i haven't had any problems with my bike so far.

#25 ·
when you guys say not to go on any "long highway cruises" what do you mean by that? i'm looking at a k7 750 and if i buy it i wanted to ride it home about 60 miles. takes about an hour, is that too long? obviously i dont want to f*ck up a 10,000 dollar new motorcycle. some people said an hour is ok then to let it cool....but i just want to make sure.

#26 ·
Yea that is fine. I just bought a Gsx-R 600, k8. I drove it about 30 miles home then I had to rest my self. But after that I was a solid Hour riding at a time. Make sure you schedule your first service about a week a head of time. Cause Now I gotta wait a week till I get mine serviced... I am gonna change the oil my self here today so I can ride it asap.

#31 ·
its a matter of opinion, ask your engine builder. I did mine the way I wanted mine to be broken in. not saying its right, not saying its wrong.

I have put plenty of brand new engines on a dyno, then sent them to the track after 2 warm up cycles and a road test (when possible)

On my 09 CBR I kept it under 7000RPM till I had 100 miles on it, under 11k till 500 miles, then rode it, changed the oil at 800 miles, checked all my bolts, tightened the chain and then rode it.

at 2000 miles I took it to the track.

second oil change at 3000 miles, then again after doing 5 track days with it. next will be at 6000 miles and every 3000 after that.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.