Inspection Sticker Placement in Texas..... : Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums: Gixxer.com
» Insurance
» Suzuki GSX-R Prices
» Sponsors
Go Back   Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com > Regional Forums > Ride Club > Southwest

Old 02-16-2005, 09:23 AM   #1
mark2201
Back Marker

Inspection Sticker Placement in Texas.....

I just moved here from Louisiana....
In Louisiana they just give you the inspection sticker and you put it under your seat with your papers.
I called Wild Side Honda in Katy and they said they
they have to put the inpection sticker on the plate where it is illuminated by the license plate light.
Are all places like this?
If so, where can I find a place to just give me the sticker to stick under my seat.
They probably have to tell you that over the phone, but if I go there will they just give it to me.
I need an inspection sticker to change the registration to texas, so i have until the end of the month to get it done.
What do you guys do about the inspection stickers, I think it would look stupid on the license plate.
Thanks for the input.
Later
mark2201 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-16-2005, 02:15 PM   #2
AggieGixxer
Superbike Racer

Motorcycle: '02 GSX-R600 Y/B
Re: Inspection Sticker Placement in Texas.....

Go to your local shop, and get something like this
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1409471-03-09-04_04.JPG (47.6 KB, 14 views)
AggieGixxer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2005, 01:02 AM   #3
you da man
Rookie

Motorcycle: 02 GSXR600 (street); 01 R6 (race); 06 GSXR750 (race)

A shop that goes by the book will not hand you the sticker...period!. Just get one of those flemsy plastic dealer type sticker plates and have them stick it there. You can then just remove the plate and trim it or dremel it to the size you want and stick it in your trunk if you want. Seriously though...I haven't had an inspection sticker on my bike in 3 years and have never been hassled about it even after numerous stops by police and state troopers for speeding (warnings thank God), illegal tail lights (warning), and headlights are "too bright" (Philips Vision Plus...and police thought my hi-beams were on). Anyways, police never mentioned my lack of inspection and just last week I had police behind me two different times at a light and nothing happened. Most sportbikes just don't bother to get them in my area...Killeen,TX. Side of the swingarm is a popular spot for the inspection sticker. The law states that the inspection sticker needs to be at or near the license plate. If you get pulled over for it and given a ticket it would not be considered a moving violation and will not go on insurance.
you da man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2005, 01:08 AM   #4
you da man
Rookie

Motorcycle: 02 GSXR600 (street); 01 R6 (race); 06 GSXR750 (race)

Also, as you can see in Aggie's pic the sticker is kinda big. I have a couple friends that will only display the very bottom portion of the sticker where the expiration month and year will show and the rest of the sticker is behind the plate. This method still gives the bike a clean look. Some do the same method and have the expiration on the sticker showing from the side of the license plate. Don't put any stickers on the plate itself. Texas is picky about it's plates and that is considered altering the plate.
you da man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2005, 08:24 AM   #5
mark2201
Back Marker

Thanks guys...
Looks like im gonna have to just go get in inpected and have them put it on and just trim the plate and put it in my trunk.
If I get pulled over I hope the cop will be cool about it.
It really shouldnt matter as long as the inpection sticker is current.
Thanks.
Keep the input coming.
mark2201 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2005, 08:47 AM   #6
AggieGixxer
Superbike Racer

Motorcycle: '02 GSX-R600 Y/B

I would put it on your bike if I were you. There are a lot of small towns around Houston that hate bikes and are looking for anything they can to write a ticket for. Last summer, some friends and I went to Galveston to the Lone Star Bike Ralley, and we took the ferry over to Crystal Beach. A state trooper walked past about 20 Harley's and came right up to my friends and I. He got his flashlight out and started looking at our bikes to try to find something illegal. We all have our inspection stickers on one of those things and he didn't say anything about it. He did come up to each one of us and asked to see our license. If you want to chance it, do it. But I'd much rather have that thing on there, not have the "clean" look and not be hassled by the cops. But that's just me.
AggieGixxer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2005, 06:20 AM   #7
Htown1000
Club Racer

Most of the riders i see don't have them on their bikes especially if they have an undertail kit... I've been thinking if i should put mine on the swingarm or not but i havent and i've been stopped twice and warned once but they never mentioned the inspection sticker.
Htown1000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2005, 07:53 AM   #8
\'05GSXR600
Rookie

a reputable shop put mine on the swingarm for me but if you just sit and bullshit with them for a while most will put one on your forks for you.
\'05GSXR600 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2005, 06:12 AM   #9
LowViscosity
Rookie

Motorcycle: 1995 BMW M3/possibly another bike soon

inspection sticker?? what inspection sticker?
LowViscosity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2005, 04:02 PM   #10
ssgsky
Rookie

Motorcycle: 02 GSXR 750, 08 GSXR 1000

you_da_man, you in killeen eh, me too
ssgsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2005, 04:05 PM   #11
ssgsky
Rookie

Motorcycle: 02 GSXR 750, 08 GSXR 1000

i got the metal plate for the inspection sticker, i mounted it to the back of the plate, then bent it to be level with the ground, afterbeing stopped quite a few times, never been hassled with it. it is not visible while riding, but it is visible when you walk up to it. not like they read the inspection sticker to see your plate #. when i came back from iraq my bike was many months out of date, so just rolled to the shop and got the sticker again lol
ssgsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2005, 02:20 AM   #12
Gixxervan1000
Rookie

Motorcycle: Gixxervan1000

The sticker has to be visible from the rear of the bike, not necessarily near the plate. I just put the damn thing on there. No chance of hassles then....and it doesn't look bad. Get the metal plate holders from the local shop, and slap the fugger on there. Bend it back a little if you want...but make sure it's visible. In Texas now BTW, they are now giving, or can rather, 200 dollar tickets on the spot for license plates that are altered as to not be fully visible (in other words bend back or hidden under the tail). Cops see this as a person's intent to run and don't like it.

As always though...depends on the cop you get. Some are dicks....some aren't. The above mentioned is what CAN happen.
Gixxervan1000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2005, 05:33 AM   #13
gimpsta
!##NULL##!

Motorcycle: race 04 600/'06 gix 1k/'03 KX65/'06 R6/'07 750 #315

well it might say visible from the rear

but my self and A LOT of others, have put it on the swing arm. I've been stopped for speeding and nothing was ever said about the placement of the sticker. Shoot the dealership is the one who asked me if i wanted it on the swing arm.
gimpsta is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement