CHEC + "-" Gear + No Dealer Mode : Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums: Gixxer.com
» Insurance
» Suzuki GSX-R Prices
» Sponsors
Go Back   Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com > Gixxer Forums > GSX-R600 / GSX-R750 General forum > 06-07 GSX-R600/750

Old 12-09-2013, 03:27 AM   #1
unresponsivebeevictim
Back Marker

CHEC + "-" Gear + No Dealer Mode

Weird problem here - 06 750. Bike starts and runs fine but constantly displays CHEC in the temp readout area, displays - as the current gear, and dealer mode doesn't activate. No blinking FI light. I replaced the main wiring harness thinking it was the issue since it'd been cut up by a PO - the only two things not stock about the harness are pin 30 being removed from the ECM connector and the kickstand switch being bridged (trackbike).

Seems like just a bad gear position sensor but the fact that it's simply displaying CHEC and dealer mode throws me for a loop. If it was the temperature sensor the fan should default to running all the time, but it doesn't. Is this how a bad gear shift position sensor acts or should I be finding a used ECU? It's the only other thing I can imagine the issue being.

Last edited by unresponsivebeevictim; 12-09-2013 at 03:31 AM.
unresponsivebeevictim is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-09-2013, 04:39 AM   #2
unresponsivebeevictim
Back Marker

Re: CHEC + "-" Gear + No Dealer Mode

I'm sitting there and I'm like... self, you're kinda smart so let's figure this out.

ECU plug looks like a whale's vagina. Oh. Two missing pins, I wonder what those are. Oh, an exhaust servo valve pin and the dash communication pin. Oh look, there the broken-ass pieces of pin are in my old harness. Oh. Fuck.

So I get to spend $250 on an ECU with FlashTune if I want to ever see my current gear and coolant temperature.

Last edited by unresponsivebeevictim; 12-09-2013 at 04:43 AM.
Old 12-09-2013, 08:06 AM   #3
Moto_Joe
Serial Comma Rapist Admin

Motorcycle: 2006 GSXR 600 Racebike

Chec usually indicates side stand is down
Moto_Joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2013, 10:07 AM   #4
rv6john
Club Racer

Motorcycle: GSXR 750K6, 2007 Kawasaki Z1000, Aprilia SXV550, DR650

I'm guessing one of those broken pins is #6 that mates to the Black/Green wire.

That is the serial data wire between the ECU and the cluster.

Here is what the service manual says:

“CHEC”: The LCD panel indicates “CHEC” when no communication signal from the ECM is received for 5 seconds.
For Example:
The ignition switch is turned ON, and the engine stop switch is turned OFF. In this case, the speedometer does not receive any signal from ECM, and the panel indicates “CHEC”.
If CHEC is indicated, the LCD does not indicate the trouble code. It is necessary to heck the wiring harness between ECM and speedometer couplers.
The possible cause of this indication is as follows;
Engine stop switch is in OFF position. Side-stand/ignition inter-lock system is not orking. Ignition fuse is burnt.
rv6john is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2013, 12:23 PM   #5
unresponsivebeevictim
Back Marker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moto_Joe View Post
Chec usually indicates side stand is down
Yes, but the bike starts.
Quote:
Originally Posted by rv6john View Post
I'm guessing one of those broken pins is #6 that mates to the Black/Green wire.

That is the serial data wire between the ECU and the cluster.

Here is what the service manual says:

“CHEC”: The LCD panel indicates “CHEC” when no communication signal from the ECM is received for 5 seconds.
For Example:
The ignition switch is turned ON, and the engine stop switch is turned OFF. In this case, the speedometer does not receive any signal from ECM, and the panel indicates “CHEC”.
If CHEC is indicated, the LCD does not indicate the trouble code. It is necessary to heck the wiring harness between ECM and speedometer couplers.
The possible cause of this indication is as follows;
Engine stop switch is in OFF position. Side-stand/ignition inter-lock system is not orking. Ignition fuse is burnt.
Yep. Bingo.
Old 12-09-2013, 12:32 PM   #6
Moto_Joe
Serial Comma Rapist Admin

Motorcycle: 2006 GSXR 600 Racebike

The bike will start with side stand down and in neutral and still say chec iirc... been a long time since I've had a side stand though lol.
Moto_Joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2013, 01:18 PM   #7
rv6john
Club Racer

Motorcycle: GSXR 750K6, 2007 Kawasaki Z1000, Aprilia SXV550, DR650

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moto_Joe View Post
The bike will start with side stand down and in neutral and still say chec iirc... been a long time since I've had a side stand though lol.
It will not say "CHEC" with stand down and bike in neutral.

The GP switch or the kickstand switch supplies ground to the side stand relay. You must have one or the other to actuate the relay. The relay is in series with the kill switch, so it you get the same result when it is open.

Both the kill switch and side stand relay cut power to the ignition system and the ignition signal to the ECU. With no ignition power signal the ECU does not send any data to the cluster. If no data signal at the cluster after 5 seconds, the cluster displays "CHEC" and the gear position indicator shows "-". (The gear position information is also sent over the data line).
rv6john is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement