tire reading? : Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums: Gixxer.com
» Insurance
» Suzuki GSX-R Prices
» Sponsors
Go Back   Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com > Tech Forums > Chassis, Suspension & Tire Setup

Old 01-03-2013, 10:56 PM   #1
fir3dp
Squid

tire reading?

hi!

this is my first post here.Just got my bike, tried tuning the suspension and first time on the track! ( not exactly track day, just 20mins ) Seen many tire reading thread but cant seem to find one that is similar to my tires.

Any kind soul?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20130104_080852.jpg (67.6 KB, 207 views)

Last edited by fir3dp; 01-03-2013 at 10:59 PM.
fir3dp is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-03-2013, 10:57 PM   #2
SPL170db
Chubby Chaser

Motorcycle: 2005 GSXR-1000 (track), 2006 GSXR-600 (track/race)
Re: tire reading?

Looks fine, whatever your are doing.....try doing it faster.
SPL170db is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 11:07 PM   #3
fir3dp
Squid

whoa... that was fast! !the track quality at where i am is kinna bad with patches all over and rough surface.. back feels like its sliding even at low angle.. but..

will try! thanks!
Old 01-03-2013, 11:11 PM   #4
Minibull
Viking Foreign Affairs Attaché

Motorcycle: 1998 GSXR 750

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPL170db View Post
Looks fine, whatever your are doing.....try doing it faster.
So long as you weren't crashing...crashing faster isn't a good thing...
Minibull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 11:19 PM   #5
SPL170db
Chubby Chaser

"Reading tires" has received too much attention as means for suspension adjustment/fine tuning. Read your tires to see if they are too over/under-inflated and are cold/hot-tearing. Other than that tune the suspension according to HOW THE BIKE FEELS ON TRACK. Not the way the tires look when you are parked in the pits.

I think most people ask this question because they don't know what's happening underneath them and don't know what to feel for. So they come in not knowing how to explain what the bike is doing and just say look at my tires and fix my bike. I call it the "Cole Trickle Syndrome" from Days of Thunder

To answer your question a little more thoroughly your tire looks fine. It looks like it's simply picking up rubber debris off the ground (generally going through corners slow, which is expected since it's your first time on track). It's not cold or hot tearing.

CCS AM #478
Old 01-04-2013, 12:40 AM   #6
fir3dp
Squid

yea.. i felt the same way about suspension. First 15mins it felt too soft, front kept diving too much and rear squatting from acceleration. but the wear pattern seems ok.. after making it harder, the wear pattern is the same but feels much better.

was wondering, on my right i could touch my knee down but on the left i cant seem to. Both sides it seems like it has reached the edge..( head at side mirror and butt half out ) Tried as hard to copy my left corner body position but .. yea well difficult

how do i know how much lower i can actually bring the bike down if there are no more ( chicken strips ) or that small bit left
Old 01-04-2013, 12:52 AM   #7
dLegend82
Rookie

Motorcycle: GSXR 1000 K4

Quote:
Originally Posted by fir3dp View Post
yea.. i felt the same way about suspension. First 15mins it felt too soft, front kept diving too much and rear squatting from acceleration. but the wear pattern seems ok.. after making it harder, the wear pattern is the same but feels much better.

was wondering, on my right i could touch my knee down but on the left i cant seem to. Both sides it seems like it has reached the edge..( head at side mirror and butt half out ) Tried as hard to copy my left corner body position but .. yea well difficult

how do i know how much lower i can actually bring the bike down if there are no more ( chicken strips ) or that small bit left
you'll know when your left knee touches the ground just kidding
Some corners are more banked then others and sometimes need more lean angle.
Try to pay more attention to reference points on the track and getting faster at your own pace.
Stay loose and concentrate on what the bike is doing.
dLegend82 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 01:03 AM   #8
SPL170db
Chubby Chaser

Quote:

http://forums.superbikeschool.com/in...?showtopic=111

Quote:

You're not to the edge of the rear tire yet, and you'll still have unused tread on the front tire. The difference with the rear is that as you approach the edge of the tire it doesn't remain perfectly rounded, its designed to deform slightly to flatten out and give more rubber down on the ground. You can kind of see this if you look closely at the rear in pictures of racers at greater leans angles. Generally speaking this being your first time on track.....you're very likely at alot less of a lean angle than you think you are.

CCS AM #478
Old 01-04-2013, 02:32 AM   #9
fir3dp
Squid

ooooh. always thought it would only be the edge.. wasnt expecting it to fold too much..
thanks for all the helpful comment!

anyway i manage to film it down

( was warming up the first few mins )

did better the next 10mins after the track dried up but gopro ran out of batt

is the body position ok?
haha sorry for all the question. New bike so im pretty excited. awesome bike

Last edited by fir3dp; 01-04-2013 at 02:43 AM.
Old 01-04-2013, 03:17 AM   #10
TeflonTrout
Ass Packer

Motorcycle: '99 GSX-R750-SOLD for '13 Kawasaki KLR-650

Nah, it's okay to be fired up. Hard not to be whenever there's a racetrack involved!

^ I see what I did there.
TeflonTrout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 06:57 AM   #11
cainyboy
Buggering Pommy Poofter

Motorcycle: Kawasaki ZX9R

Quote:
Your leathers are a size too big for you.
cainyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 07:03 AM   #12
Anthony D
Super Moderator

Motorcycle: None currently...

Don't worry about the tires or speed, worry about your lines and your bp, they both need a lot of work.
Anthony D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 10:29 AM   #13
fir3dp
Squid

whats wrong with my body position? think ill work on that first.
could use some tips

Last edited by fir3dp; 01-04-2013 at 10:41 AM.
Old 01-04-2013, 02:01 PM   #14
Anthony D
Super Moderator

Motorcycle: None currently...

Ideal bp for a corner is a race tuck, shifted to the inside 6"-8". You were sitting up, not dropping your inside shoulder or head much at all. Make sure your grip on the bars is relaxed, and open up your elbows a little. Hold your body on the bike with your legs and core, not your arms.

I think your line is just as important though, from what I saw in the video you missed more apexes than you hit, and that isn't good, because it shows you were riding above your skill level. Take your time, learn the track, where you need to be mid-corner, and then set your entry and exit points according to your speed. While you don't need to use all of the track at your speeds, you still need to hit your apexes for sure.
Anthony D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 03:02 PM   #15
SPL170db
Chubby Chaser

What track is that anyway OP? I'm guessing somewhere in APAC?
Old 01-04-2013, 03:25 PM   #16
S3aturnR
Back Marker

Motorcycle: 2009 r6

Quote:
hi!

this is my first post here.Just got my bike, tried tuning the suspension and first time on the track! ( not exactly track day, just 20mins ) Seen many tire reading thread but cant seem to find one that is similar to my tires.

Any kind soul?
looks like normal wear at "faster-than-street" speeds...

s3aturnr
S3aturnR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 05:37 PM   #17
fir3dp
Squid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony D View Post
Ideal bp for a corner is a race tuck, shifted to the inside 6"-8". You were sitting up, not dropping your inside shoulder or head much at all. Make sure your grip on the bars is relaxed, and open up your elbows a little. Hold your body on the bike with your legs and core, not your arms.

I think your line is just as important though, from what I saw in the video you missed more apexes than you hit, and that isn't good, because it shows you were riding above your skill level. Take your time, learn the track, where you need to be mid-corner, and then set your entry and exit points according to your speed. While you don't need to use all of the track at your speeds, you still need to hit your apexes for sure.
alright thanks.. will take note of dropping my shoulder

it just rained so everyone warned me not to go near the apex as all the sand tends to flow there after the rain. so i kept to the center as much as possible. will post another video soon

this is in malaysia. Pasir gudang
Old 01-04-2013, 07:03 PM   #18
Moto_Joe
Serial Comma Rapist Admin

Motorcycle: 2006 GSXR 600 Racebike

Quote:
whoa... that was fast! !the track quality at where i am is kinna bad with patches all over and rough surface.. back feels like its sliding even at low angle.. but..

will try! thanks!
It wasnt sliding. Trust me . What you likely were feeling was the tire actually just starting to work and MAYBE squirming because your tires are not "cleaning" themselves.

The wear looks good and smooth, but they are not clearing their debris. What that means is likely the tire was a bit hot or low pressured for your pace. Contrary to popular belief going super low when you are not fast enough to use it can be BAD for grip, for that reason. The "marbles" make the tires squirm a round a bit (not slide )

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPL170db View Post
"Reading tires" has received too much attention as means for suspension adjustment/fine tuning. Read your tires to see if they are too over/under-inflated and are cold/hot-tearing. Other than that tune the suspension according to HOW THE BIKE FEELS ON TRACK. Not the way the tires look when you are parked in the pits.

I think most people ask this question because they don't know what's happening underneath them and don't know what to feel for. So they come in not knowing how to explain what the bike is doing and just say look at my tires and fix my bike. I call it the "Cole Trickle Syndrome" from Days of Thunder

To answer your question a little more thoroughly your tire looks fine. It looks like it's simply picking up rubber debris off the ground (generally going through corners slow, which is expected since it's your first time on track). It's not cold or hot tearing.
that doesnt look like debris pickup from other tires, but rather his are not cleaning themselves. Picked up rubber is round pebbles.

Quote:

It is likely something you are doing. If I had to guess it has to do with gripping too tight, and not supporting yourself with your legs, thus you are having trouble manipulating the throttle to the left and you are staying up on the bike a bit more.

Quote:
ooooh. always thought it would only be the edge.. wasnt expecting it to fold too much..
thanks for all the helpful comment!
As you lean, you hit the edge of the rear. As you go faster the rear sidewall starts to fold, and you continue until you get to the edge of the front as well.. then the FRONT starts to fold too on some tires... then you crash . you have a long way to go I am sure. That is not to say you cant crash well before that, but it wont be due to lean but rather due to a bad input into the bike.
Quote:

anyway i manage to film it down

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KEOG2...yer_detailpage
( was warming up the first few mins )

did better the next 10mins after the track dried up but gopro ran out of batt

is the body position ok?
haha sorry for all the question. New bike so im pretty excited. awesome bike
No, the body position is not ok. Notice your head never moves from the middle of the top of the screen. You are moving your ass, but not your body. Look at my signature image, and notice how low and inside my head is.

Quote:
alright thanks.. will take note of dropping my shoulder

it just rained so everyone warned me not to go near the apex as all the sand tends to flow there after the rain. so i kept to the center as much as possible. will post another video soon

this is in malaysia. Pasir gudang
Unless there are PILES of sand inside, it is not a concern. You definitely were not using the track properly.

And I dont like the idea of saying "drop shoulder".

Imagine a full race tuck. Face behind windscreen, chest to the tank, elbows should be out....

Now slide that back about 4-6" front the tank. Now slide that OVER until the edge of the seat is in your ass crack, outside knee is in tank pocket, and inside knee is out (you never sat up to brake in this imagination... ). THAT is proper cornering position.

Where people miss it is when they pop to brake. They pop to brake, move their ass over, and never move the upper body over. It gets left in the center of the bike.

Motomummy.com : D&A Cycles of Macon : Livengood Motorsports
us129photos.com : JRI Shocks : M4 Exhaust : Moto D Racing : Dunlop : Hazardous Racing :SFH : SBS : VHS :
www.GoMotoJoe.com
Coupon code "motojoe" for discount on hazardous racing leathers
2013 WERA National Challenge 3rd place
WERA Expert #20

Moto_Joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 07:21 PM   #19
Moto_Joe
Serial Comma Rapist Admin

Motorcycle: 2006 GSXR 600 Racebike

Here ya go , and this is not leaned over far at all

Moto_Joe is offline   Reply With Quote