Bohn Body Armor... Thoughts? : Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums: Gixxer.com
» Insurance
» Suzuki GSX-R Prices
» Sponsors
Go Back   Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com > General Discussion > General Bike Talk > Riding Gear/Apparel

Old 12-25-2012, 04:53 AM   #1
k7GixxerTaste

Bohn Body Armor... Thoughts?

Yes, guilty as charged... I ride in jeans and Steve Maddens besides my jacket, gloves, and helmet.

I came across these:
http://www.bohnarmor.com/catalog/pro....php?prod=BGLA

Truthfully, I just can't come to terms sacrificing comfort, functionality, and style of my jeans off the bike sitting in class all day. Overpants would be nice, but my backpack is usually too full to fit them in when I step off the bike. I'm really trying to up my leg protection and all things considered, this seems like the best option. Just wanted to get some opinions.

Merry Christmas all
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-25-2012, 06:01 AM   #2
Islandtsi
Rookie

Motorcycle: K9 750
Re: Bohn Body Armor... Thoughts?

I can't see those being comfortable to wear in class under jeans all day. Protection is decent though.
Islandtsi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2012, 08:22 AM   #3
Armi
Lifetime Premium

Motorcycle: gsxr 750 srad with a few mods thanks to the members on this site.See signature.

What about these.....Top notch stuff;

http://www.forcefieldbodyarmour.com/motorcycling
Armi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2012, 01:07 PM   #4
k7GixxerTaste

Quote:
Originally Posted by Armi View Post
What about these.....Top notch stuff;

http://www.forcefieldbodyarmour.com/motorcycling

Thanks, they look pretty good. Can't see a price though
Old 12-25-2012, 01:52 PM   #5
ice-kUb
No talent eh-hole squid, who stunts in traffic wearing flippie-floppies, board shorts and sunglasses when he is not parked at Tim Horton's representing his single-member squid bike club. Also a Fuckwad, a Jizz Receptacle and a Twat Waffle.

Motorcycle: k5 600

I have the Bohn armor pants. I wear them under jeans sometimes and I feel protected, but not as much as when I suit up with the Bohn armor under the leathers too. If you paired the Bohn armor with some Kevlar jeans they would be damn good for urban street riding.
ice-kUb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2012, 04:06 PM   #6
AFGixxer08
Lifetime Premium

Motorcycle: 2011 GSX-R 600 White/Black

You have a few options if you do not want to wear leather pants.

1. Kelvar jeans with knee protection such as the Knox cross-knee guard ($69)

2. Regular Jeans (don't recommend it)

3. Kevlar jeans with some type of armored shorts( I like the Knox and A* ones)

3. Kevlar jeans with the shorts AND knee protection.

I ride in regular jeans all the time and I hate it, no protection what so ever, so this summer I'm stepping it up.

My choice and what I will be doing when I'm casual riding in the summer is wearing kevlar jeans with the Knox cross knee guards. I will opt for the shorts when I can afford them. I like the Knox knee protection because they are slim and not noticeable while being very protective.
Old 12-25-2012, 04:08 PM   #7
Armi
Lifetime Premium

Motorcycle: gsxr 750 srad with a few mods thanks to the members on this site.See signature.

Quote:
Originally Posted by k7GixxerTaste View Post
Thanks, they look pretty good. Can't see a price though
http://www.extremesupply.com/categor...orcefield.html
Armi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2012, 12:28 AM   #8
k7GixxerTaste

^^^ Thanks everyone. I'll try and drop into a shop to try on a pair if I can. Too bad the Dainese D1 jeans only come in one wash... I'd shell out the cash for those easy.
Old 12-26-2012, 02:11 PM   #9
Tater Tot Wee Woo
I am a tater tot; young, not stout. Here is my baby face whoa did a pube just sprout?

Motorcycle: 2007 GSXR 600

I have a pair of the Bohn armor shorts.
Tater Tot Wee Woo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2012, 02:35 PM   #10
JetBlast
Viking Fan Club Merchandise Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeeWee Woo Who View Post
I have a pair of the Bohn armor underwear.
you buy from the viking store?
JetBlast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2012, 04:44 PM   #11
S3aturnR
Back Marker

Motorcycle: 2009 r6

i agree with the kevlar jeans for class, but pony up and get a decent pair of riding boots. ankles and feet are very necessary and notoriously difficult to repair properly.

the bottom line is you need something to "lean" on when you hit the ground. jeans don't last very long against concrete, in my experience...

s3aturnr
S3aturnR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2012, 05:00 PM   #12
k7GixxerTaste

Quote:
Originally Posted by S3aturnR View Post
i agree with the kevlar jeans for class, but pony up and get a decent pair of riding boots. ankles and feet are very necessary and notoriously difficult to repair properly.

the bottom line is you need something to "lean" on when you hit the ground. jeans don't last very long against concrete, in my experience...

s3aturnr
I have Joe Rocket Sonic R boots. They saved my tibia when I got hit by a car on my old bike... probably would've been broken without them on. But, those are also a bit too beefy to be walking around in all day. Not to mention way too large to throw in my bag. I guess I'm taking the comfort for protection trade off. Maybe I'll just get a tail bag and throw all my gear in there when I get to my destination.
Old 12-27-2012, 06:45 PM   #13
oldfart01
GdC Camp Counselor

Motorcycle: Dromaius Novaehollandiae, ...XR650R .K7-1000

I know my Bohn shorts from STG are very well made, I would assume the pants would be too. I'm wondering if the pants wouldn't be kind of hot to sit in class in though?
oldfart01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 05:29 PM   #14
Jason@STG
Official Platinum Sponsor

Motorcycle: 05 750

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldfart01 View Post
I know my Bohn shorts from STG are very well made, I would assume the pants would be too. I'm wondering if the pants wouldn't be kind of hot to sit in class in though?
I always wear my Bohn or Knox shorts with my suit, but with the jeans I feel like they're not going protect where you need it. Yeah they'll protect you from impact (only in the areas they cover) but they're not going to do much as far as your jeans getting shredded/major road rash.

Impact resistance on the track, definitely a solid product. Something to keep your ass cheeks from turning into ground beef, not so much.
Jason@STG is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement