Fram Oil filters : Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums: Gixxer.com
» Insurance
» Suzuki GSX-R Prices
» Sponsors
Go Back   Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com > General Discussion > Pics and Vids

Old 12-23-2012, 01:05 AM   #1
Ironhead401
Team CGR Captain

Fram Oil filters

Interesting video I found on youtube. Most people know Fram filters are shitty. On some of their filters, they have cardboard endcaps and are overall poor quality. This video is from a guy that works at Fram trying to tell me that the endcaps do not make a difference and the filter works just as well as any other. I had one on my Jeep Cherokee and my oil pressure suffered significantly when I put one on there, brand new. Switched to a higher end Bosch and later Mobil 1 and my oil pressure was much better. I will never use a Fram filter again but was wondering what your take is on this video.

Advertisement

Old 12-23-2012, 09:57 AM   #2
JarvisB
Rookie

Re: Fram Oil filters

I use Fram on all of my vehicles. Never had a problem.

For my bike, I do try to use a better one. But, if only fram was available on hand, I would use it no problem. Just change the oil earlier than usual just to be safe.

Sometimes I think all this is just a marketing tactic. But in some ways I can see why manufacturers are trying to downplay Fram because they are using cardboard! But I suppose cardboard works as well so why not?

Edit: I should note that all of my vehicles are older 2000 vehicles... Maybe if I had a newer vehicle or if I rolled a car off dealership lot, I probably would pay a little extra for something that will give you the peace of mind for your brand new car.
JarvisB is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-23-2012, 11:03 AM   #3
coopgt1
Rectum Rupticus

Motorcycle: 2003 GSXR 750

Interesting. Cardboard end disks really shouldn't matter if you think about it. If you got water in your oil then it would be a problem cause the cardboard would turn to mush. Then again if you have water in your oil you have bigger issues.
coopgt1 is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-23-2012, 11:15 AM   #4
wicked86gsxr
Lifetime Premium

Motorcycle: 2008 Suzuki DRZ SM, 1987 YSR 50, SDG pitbike, kids dirtbikes

I have used fram extra guard filters on my old 99 Ford Ranger w/ semi-synthetic oil and the thing ran mint w/ great oil pressure and I changed the oil every 5000 miles. I sold the truck when it had 212,000 miles. In my 2008 Dodge Ram 1500 I run the same oil and Extra guard filter. My 64 Ford Falcon drag car I run the Fram Race filters. My bikes I try and run K&N filters but in a pinch I used the Frams.
wicked86gsxr is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-23-2012, 02:23 PM   #5
oldfart01
Loves Ass Raping OG!!

Motorcycle: Dromaius Novaehollandiae, ...XR650R .K7-1000

I use OEM on my Suzuki, but I've used a bunch of Frams on my Honda with no issue. I can get those at cost at my buddies shop. The Honda takes a little one that goes under the engine side cover. I've used Fram Extra Guard most of the time for 186,000 miles on my van. I've been using Bosch on my Volvo R since new. Knock on wood, I have never had a filter issue with any yet. I know over the years I've seen others that had some issues with Fram.
oldfart01 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-23-2012, 02:37 PM   #6
Epic
Back Marker

I've used Fram on all my vehicles (except bikes) without issue or oil pressure problems.
Epic is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-23-2012, 06:11 PM   #7
Ironhead401
Team CGR Captain

I got bored and cut open a Bosch mid-grade oil filter. In case you're curious...

Ironhead401 is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-23-2012, 06:30 PM   #8
oldfart01
Loves Ass Raping OG!!

Motorcycle: Dromaius Novaehollandiae, ...XR650R .K7-1000

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ironhead401 View Post
I got bored and cut open a Bosch mid-grade oil filter because I was bored.

Slow day?
oldfart01 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-23-2012, 06:36 PM   #9
Ironhead401
Team CGR Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldfart01 View Post
Slow day?
Yeah you could say that. I washed and waxed it too. 40 degrees out.
Old 12-25-2012, 05:14 PM   #10
SolidSnake
Needs Friends...

Motorcycle: GsxR 600 k4

I am an Amsoil dealer and thats all I use on my bike and truck. The filters are Wix filters. Wix Filters are really good for oil pressure and longevity. Try those some time.
SolidSnake is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-25-2012, 06:38 PM   #11
yaksha79
Rookie

Motorcycle: 09 GSXR 750 Black/Blue, cat delete, set valve and pair valve delete, moto gp shift, flashed ECU, R6 throttle tube, K&N, Ported 06/07 header, Underbike Yoshi r77, 520 conversion -2in front, HID, Billet levers, braided lines.

While in college I worked at Advance Auto and we cut every brand filter we had for a ford 302 open one day. The cardboard endcaps are bad enough, but worse is that the frams filter media was much smaller around and had 1/3 less pleats than any of the other filters. This would mean much less filtering surface area also the standard fram had an efficiency of 95% vs 98%percent for the purolator. the fram was also over $1 more than the purolator. I know this has nothing to do with bikes, but if their car filters are that bad I don't want to risk my bike.
yaksha79 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-25-2012, 07:05 PM   #12
Ironhead401
Team CGR Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by SolidSnake View Post
I am an Amsoil dealer and thats all I use on my bike and truck. The filters are Wix filters. Wix Filters are really good for oil pressure and longevity. Try those some time.
I put amsoil in the jeep during this oil change. My local Napa sells it off the shelf for a good price which is nice, but they don't have their filters.

Quote:
Originally Posted by yaksha79 View Post
While in college I worked at Advance Auto and we cut every brand filter we had for a ford 302 open one day. The cardboard endcaps are bad enough, but worse is that the frams filter media was much smaller around and had 1/3 less pleats than any of the other filters. This would mean much less filtering surface area also the standard fram had an efficiency of 95% vs 98%percent for the purolator. the fram was also over $1 more than the purolator. I know this has nothing to do with bikes, but if their car filters are that bad I don't want to risk my bike.
Agreed
Old 12-26-2012, 12:29 AM   #13
Vooduguru
Giant Vespa

Motorcycle: K1 TLR, 99 SRAD600

Wouldn't more pleats slow the flow of the oil through the filter? I don't know if a vehicle that runs say higher rpm's depending on a certain flow rate through the filter be hampered by a filter that slows down the intended flow rate? I'm just thinkin out loud here.
Vooduguru is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-26-2012, 01:11 AM   #14
yaksha79
Rookie

Motorcycle: 09 GSXR 750 Black/Blue, cat delete, set valve and pair valve delete, moto gp shift, flashed ECU, R6 throttle tube, K&N, Ported 06/07 header, Underbike Yoshi r77, 520 conversion -2in front, HID, Billet levers, braided lines.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vooduguru View Post
Wouldn't more pleats slow the flow of the oil through the filter? I don't know if a vehicle that runs say higher rpm's depending on a certain flow rate through the filter be hampered by a filter that slows down the intended flow rate? I'm just thinkin out loud here.
No the oil doesn't have to travel through multiple pleats just the one layer, so more pleats= more surface area(bigger filter). This means the filter won't clog as quickly and activate the bypass so it can be more efficient at trapping dirt. I would think more surface area would allow more flow. Maybe that lawyer/engineer can let us know. lol
Old 12-26-2012, 10:05 AM   #15
CrickiKaze
Rookie

Motorcycle: 2008 GSXR 750

If you want more surface area then get a longer/bigger filter, not one with more pleats(thicker media). What the filter is made of may determine how thick the media is due to how small it can filter out. It wouldn't matter how thick it is cause once the original surface is clogged then it going to go through the bypass any way. If it is thicker then it may equal its filtration capabilties to one that is thiner but that doesn't always mean that is how it works all the time.

Part of the issue sometimes is people not letting the motor warm up. I have also heard that some people had issues with oil pressure dealing with the filter but I don't know the specifics as it could of been an oil viscosity issue as well.

My wifes Versa oil filter is the same size as my filter for the bike which I find funny, granted I would never put a car filter on my bike but I have been thinking about finding a longer one for her car.
CrickiKaze is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-26-2012, 12:15 PM   #16
COBRA90GT
Miss Sofonda Cox

Lightbulb Re: Fram Oil filters

Quote:
...was wondering what your take is on this video...
Fram oil filters have taken such a beating over the years on automotive message boards that they have to do everything possible to promote their product, so I can definitely understand their company putting out a video like this.

It won't change my mind though, I still won't use their oil filters.

YMMV
COBRA90GT is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-26-2012, 02:51 PM   #17
cainyboy
Buggering Pommy Poofter

Motorcycle: Kawasaki ZX9R

Sorry to disappoint you guys but I would never, EVER buy American for anything other than a hotdog.
cainyboy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-26-2012, 09:45 PM   #18
yaksha79
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrickiKaze View Post
If you want more surface area then get a longer/bigger filter, not one with more pleats(thicker media). What the filter is made of may determine how thick the media is due to how small it can filter out. It wouldn't matter how thick it is cause once the original surface is clogged then it going to go through the bypass any way. If it is thicker then it may equal its filtration capabilties to one that is thiner but that doesn't always mean that is how it works all the time.

Part of the issue sometimes is people not letting the motor warm up. I have also heard that some people had issues with oil pressure dealing with the filter but I don't know the specifics as it could of been an oil viscosity issue as well.

My wifes Versa oil filter is the same size as my filter for the bike which I find funny, granted I would never put a car filter on my bike but I have been thinking about finding a longer one for her car.
More pleats has nothing to do with the thickness of the material. Buy a fram and a purolator for a ford 302 and cut them open take the filter material itself out and cut it in half top to bottom and flatten it out you will see the purolator is longer. This is because the pleats allow more filter in the same size can this is where my more surface area argument is coming into play.
Old 12-27-2012, 12:51 AM   #19
Ironhead401
Team CGR Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by cainyboy View Post
Sorry to disappoint you guys but I would never, EVER buy Ame
rican for anything other than a hotdog.
Not even dental products?
Old 12-28-2012, 11:55 PM   #20
cainyboy
Buggering Pommy Poofter

Motorcycle: Kawasaki ZX9R

Quote:
Not even dental products?
Wanker

cainyboy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in