New guy Old project : Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums: Gixxer.com
» Insurance
» Suzuki GSX-R Prices
» Sponsors
Go Back   Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com > Gixxer Forums > Oil Cooled Gixxers

Old 12-10-2012, 09:19 PM   #1
Countryboyracer69
Squid

New guy Old project

Hello Everybody...name's Junior. Been snoopin around here from time to time. I have a custom shop I keep open only part time. Just like my older bikes.

Buying selling and trading around got me a project I didnt need but couldn't resist! Got it about 5 years ago! Its an old drag bike! Has remnants of an 1126 gs round cam motor. I had most of it but thieves broke in the shop and junk everything with out a vin. Stole my race car engine blocks but didn't touch a single tool. Anyway This thing is sharp and instead of hunting down parts for the old motor and not having the rpm it needs I hunted for a new motor.

Well today the search is over! I got a 92 750. US 92 btw. I want to drop it in place of the old 1100. The swap I can handle but I am looking for help in 2 areas. 1 is places to source go-fast goodies for this engine. Aftermarket stuff like better ignitions(if even needed), cams, and stuff thats not the normal bolt ons. 2 is what do these engines need or like? Has anyone turbo-ed one?

Its a Klaustman(spelling?) frame with Katana bodywork sorta! LOL 8" mickey thompson on the rear that will be replaced by a street legal tire. 630 chain is on it now.

I welcome all ideas! And if y'all ever need help with sohc750 Hondas please ask. My specialty. Or Circle track racing questions!

Thanks in advance, Junior
Countryboyracer69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-13-2012, 12:43 PM   #2
latendresse76
Back Marker

Motorcycle: 1988 GSX-R 750, 2x 1987 GSX-R 1100, 1985 GS1150e
Re: New guy Old project

So not trying to rain on your parade but the 92 750 is a shim over bucket motor which doesn't make it bad but you don't want to rev the thing much if any over stock limit because it could spit a shim. That is at least what i have heard over and over from my Best Friend/22 year Tech.

They are rather strong motors being that they had all the revisions, Improved rod bolts, larger stronger clutch, and most likely a few other things that aren't coming to mind. I wouldn't doubt that you would loose 25+ lbs with that motor over the older GS motor.
Got any images?
latendresse76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 08:37 PM   #3
Dump
Lifetime Premium

Motorcycle: Harris Magnum IV

Sure it's not a Kosman? They were/are still big on drag setups. Remember seeing a few at the track/strip with Katana bodywork. 92 750 is a shim motor, makes good power and torque. As far as go fast goodies, how big is your wallet? I spent nearly 11K on a 750 motor years ago. Wouldn't do it again. Can't substitute $$ for cc's.
Dump is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2012, 03:53 PM   #4
long_av8r
Oiler Mod

Motorcycle: (3) 1st gen 750's; (2) 1st gen 1100's; 90 7/11; 05 RMZ-450; 83 Honda CB1000C; 78 Yamaha DT 175E; 89 HD 883 Sporty; 98 KX250; 85 ATC 125M; 04 Polaris Predator 500; and a few kids quads.

Quote:
Originally Posted by latendresse76 View Post
So not trying to rain on your parade but the 92 750 is a shim over bucket motor which doesn't make it bad but you don't want to rev the thing much if any over stock limit because it could spit a shim. That is at least what i have heard over and over from my Best Friend/22 year Tech.

They are rather strong motors being that they had all the revisions, Improved rod bolts, larger stronger clutch, and most likely a few other things that aren't coming to mind. I wouldn't doubt that you would loose 25+ lbs with that motor over the older GS motor.
Got any images?
Shim heads can be modified to take the screw type rockers, but the whole thing needs to be changed, rockers, cams, the works. I haven't done it myself yet, but there was a write up on it here somewhere.
long_av8r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2012, 12:11 AM   #5
Countryboyracer69
Squid

Its a Kosman! Yes.

I pick up the engine this weekend. I forgot to mention I'm not gonna see much drag racing with this! I am making it street legal. I want to make it quick but not trying to make it unreal. Full wiring going on with head/tail/brake lights.

I have a turbo from an old kaw 750. I am workin along the lines of a megasquirt fuel injection and boost. Mainly building for the whole wow factor.

You say to watch rpm? Where would I be safe?

I have all the dyna electronics still. But I am gonna shift it myself with the help of a timed ign kill.
Old 12-20-2012, 12:43 AM   #6
latendresse76
Back Marker

Motorcycle: 1988 GSX-R 750, 2x 1987 GSX-R 1100, 1985 GS1150e

By my comparing of the shim and non shim heads yeah it can but about everything needs to be replaced the shim valves have a shorter stem length by about 4-6 mm.

stock rev limit would be fine maybe a hair more but i wouldn't try to rev the thing to 13.5
latendresse76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2012, 03:50 PM   #7
awasson
Lifetime Premium

Motorcycle: 1985 GSXR 750, 1986 GSXR Limited, GSXR750RK (in restoration mode), 1973 GT-750 (no longer have, looking for another)

Quote:
Originally Posted by long_av8r View Post
Shim heads can be modified to take the screw type rockers, but the whole thing needs to be changed, rockers, cams, the works. I haven't done it myself yet, but there was a write up on it here somewhere.
I wonder if it wouldn't be a better idea to get a first gen head that has been outfitted with bigger valves and spent time on a flow bench? I know they come up from time to time, not often but every now and again.

There's also the dot (1988 short stroke) head. I know one guy who said he swapped one onto a long stroke engine. He had to do some mods to the head to make it work but if he can be believed, he got it to work.
awasson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 10:07 PM   #8
Countryboyracer69
Squid

Finally got motor home with all the stuff with it. Been so busy with the race cars and work I haven't had much time to work with it. Have got my turbo header to fit the head. But have no idea how its gonna fit once on the bike. Getting started soon tho.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement